• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 2020 COLT PYTHON

N-C

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
2020 COLT PYTHON :D

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-python-425

C12FAE78-0782-4A17-A954-C065D8F0624B.jpeg

Reactions: sodakhunter
I handled one this last weekend that a guy had in at a local shop. I think i need one now

The ones I’ve been around are very accurate

Before I have two : 4” I Purchase new in 1985 is only X hundreds dollars, and used 6” few years ago for $800 , I sold both ~ now is time to get new one , but I will wait for few more months or a year

Hopefully they will produce them again in the blued version soon. Saving my money for when it becomes available.

What "street price" are you guys seeing these for? I'm not paying full retail just to have the latest toy. But I will have one, no doubt.

I'm seeing $1499.99-out of stock, and higher on Gunbroker

For a hand gun that costs over $1400, you would think Colt would have better QC. Hickok45 has a review of one and its going back to colt. He had multiple issues with it. Admittedly I’m not a revolver guy, but why are these things so expensive? I don’t get it.

Anyone heard if they fixed the issues with these yet? Haven't been able to source a good answer yet and I'm kinda wanting to buy one 🤔

Admittedly I’m not a revolver guy, but why are these things so expensive? I don’t get it.
The main components are machined from forgings and a significant number of minor components are also machined either from barstock or from forgings. Even with the substitution of sintered powdered metal for wrought alloy steel in some components, the labor and machine time that goes into revolvers is orders of magnitude greater than what goes into making a polymer frame pistol.

Admittedly I’m not a revolver guy, but why are these things so expensive? I don’t get it.

Like 308 said they amount of work and machining that goes into them is more involved than say a glock or something.

Plus ,to me at least, revolvers just have more character and class than some plastic looking dime a dozen striker fire pistol.

Anyone heard if they fixed the issues with these yet? Haven't been able to source a good answer yet and I'm kinda wanting to buy one 🤔

From my research I think so. Colt released the 1st video below acknowledging the issues and addressing how they intend to resolve them. There's actually a Gen 2 now and to my knowledge the gen 2's are reported to be GTG. YouTuber GoldenWebb does a video on how to recognize a gen 2 he was also of the largest critics of of the 2020 Python releasing a series of videos documenting the problems. The guy probably played more of a role in getting Colt to resolve their problems than anyone and it seems he now signs off on the Python.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Six months has gone by since the original post and the original Pythons continue to escalate in value. Did Colt ever resolve the problems with the new Pythons? I have both 4" and 6" blued guns and if I remember correctly they are both about mid 70's. They are both very low round count and are in very high condition. The S/A triggers are great. The ease of cocking to single action is notable but the staged D/A pull I find atrocious. When S&W brought out the L-frame guns the value of the Python cratered. The L-frame was simply a better, stronger revolver in .357.

Ask a revolver guy what the best looking revolver ever built is and he will likely tell you a six inch Python. There is a visual balance to the gun that is striking. If not the Python, it will probably be an 1873 Colt with a five and half inch barrel which I find has the same visual impact. The finishes on earlier Pythons are a reflection of the skills of the polishers. These guys were/are craftsman. The polishing of a revolver with all of it's surfaces that go from flat to compound curves takes remarkable skills. No polishers-No Colt Royal Blue.

Reactions: myronman3
The ease of cocking to single action is notable but the staged D/A pull I find atrocious. When S&W brought out the L-frame guns the value of the Python cratered. The L-frame was simply a better, stronger revolver in .357.
this.

i agree that the pythons are the most visually striking gun.

the two things i have to say about them....for sustained shooting, they only have one locking point. i dont like that.

the second thing is, a python came to my possession years ago. i made the mistake of shooting it side by side with a 586. the 586 out performed the python in every way.

given those two points, my opinion is that if you want a collector gun, that you shoot now and then, and one that gets lots of “oohs and ahh’s” go for the python. if you want a shooter that performs and keep performing, go with smith and wesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milo 2.5