• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2021 Elk Hunting Outfitter Recommendations

sremmal

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
Buckeye State
I am looking for recommendations for a good outfitter for rifle hunting elk in 2021. My dad and I are wanting to go elk hunting for the first time next year. He doesn't get around like he used to, so looking for a location that isn't the most physically demanding (we come from the flatlands of Ohio). I know being in the best shape of your life is recommended for elk hunting, but I am trying to find something to accommodate the situation we are in. I am not sure what a hunt in territory like this would cost, so feel free to make recommendations across all price ranges.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated as this is something I would love to be able to do with my dad.

Reactions: FishinGuns
First probably a good idea to figure out a couple of basics of what you are looking for:

1) What state? do you have pref. point or gonna be OTC or land owner tags?
2) Since you may be spending a fair bit of $$, what do you envision the hunt being? Horseback into the backcountry and stay in wall tents? Or, do you guys like staying in a ranch house or cabin and heading out each day via truck, utv, or horseback and coming back to a nice meal and drinks? or, is staying in a local hotel and heading out each day ok (more budget option)?
3) Price range?

Lots of great options at most budgets depending on the above. Do your homework and check references, forum reviews, etc. There are a lot of great outfitters, but also a lot of nightmare operations that you want to steer clear of.

First probably a good idea to figure out a couple of basics of what you are looking for:

1) What state? do you have pref. point or gonna be OTC or land owner tags?
2) Since you may be spending a fair bit of $$, what do you envision the hunt being? Horseback into the backcountry and stay in wall tents? Or, do you guys like staying in a ranch house or cabin and heading out each day via truck, utv, or horseback and coming back to a nice meal and drinks? or, is staying in a local hotel and heading out each day ok (more budget option)?
3) Price range?

Lots of great options at most budgets depending on the above. Do your homework and check references, forum reviews, etc. There are a lot of great outfitters, but also a lot of nightmare operations that you want to steer clear of.

1) I don't have a particular state in mind. We don't have any points any where, so I guess OTC and landowner would be our best bet on going next year.
2) I would think for the first hunt with my dad, a ranch house/cabin situation as you describe would be what we would want.
3) This may be one of those once in a lifetime things, so I did not really want to put a max price on it. With that said, south of 10k per hunter would be nice.

Sremmal and TACC. I am sending you both a pm in regards to this with someone I have experience with. I highly recommend him.

Check out Bo Stocks in Wyo. He owns Savery Creek Outfitters. Great ranch; good people.

Worth a look.

When talking with outfitters be upfront about physical condition/concerns. Outfitters want happy clients and if parties are honest and upfront chances of success go way up. Do not sign up for a remote Wilderness hunt with 5 hours on horseback and hunting straight up and down hill.

Lots of good options out there, don't wait get to it.

If that is the case the hunt I went on would be perfect. We drew 3 of the 4 tags and the last one was a landowner tag for $550. We stayed in a decent rustic cabin and each had our own guide. Total cost for 4 people was $22k.

If that is the case the hunt I went on would be perfect. We drew 3 of the 4 tags and the last one was a landowner tag for $550. We stayed in a decent rustic cabin and each had our own guide. Total cost for 4 people was $22k.

That sounds pretty ideal so far. All four of you at least have a great opportunity at getting a bull? Good sized bulls? Flat land/not physically intense?

We all tagged out, here is my brother in laws and mine

IMG_0645.jpeg
IMG_7029.jpg

It is pretty flat, the gotcha is that it is around 8000ft elevation so we ran out of breath quite often being used to 1100ft elevation. The guides did tell us that they had a handicapped individual out there last year and easily accommodated him as well as got him a nice bull.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I would recommend two. I know the outfitters personally or the guides who work for them.

First outfitter.

Second outfitter.

The terrain might be a little intense, but check out Cross-C Ranch in elk area 7, Wheatland, WY. If you’re going after elk, there are some freaking monsters that are regularly taken through this outfitter in this area. I drew an elk tag for this area this year and will be hunting the public lands around the Cross-C Ranch. Fingers crossed, I’m hoping one of those monsters wanders onto some public land while I’m out there!👍👍🤞

Give Steven Ocana a call at NM Hunting Addiction. 1 (505) 927-5868. He can get your dad to Elk with his physical limitations. We had some hunters with limitations in our camp. I just did a 5 day hunt (my 1st Elk hunt) with him in unit 51. He can tell you which units to put in for. Steven is an incredible hunter who helped my stalk an Elk from 1.5 miles out to within 480 yards. Also, NM is cool in that when you book w/ an outfitter, when you put in for your tag, you can link all persons in your hunting party. If one person draws in your party, you all draw a tag. Tag is $612. If you don’t draw your $ is refunded. Hope this helps. Nick-

Last edited: