• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear 2022 Hearing Protection - Which Ones???

Secant

Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2019
    Out West
    www.snipershide.com
    Looking to upgrade to a better set. I don't need comms, but I will buy if there are other benefits associated with comm sets. I shoot outside, and I shoot suppressed most of the time, but I'm subjected to brakes here and there. What are the options in 2022/2023 that I should be looking at?

Ops Core AMP. With NFMI?
    Peltor Comtac V or VI?
    Mepablu (if I can find any in stock that ship to the US). Which model?
    Sordin Supreme.....Mil Aux SFA?

What are your thoughts and where's the best place to buy?

For RO'ing braked rifles all day, nothing comes close to AMP w/ NFMI.

If you shoot suppressed most of the time and have to be around brakes from time to time while on the line-- which is similar to me-- I just use foamies, or one set of cheaper electric earmuffs (sordin), or a set of in-ear electronic.

For RO'ing braked rifles all day, nothing comes close to AMP w/ NFMI.

If you shoot suppressed most of the time and have to be around brakes from time to time while on the line-- which is similar to me-- I just use foamies, or one set of cheaper electric earmuffs (sordin), or a set of in-ear electronic.
    Thanks! For the over-the-ear Sordins, are you just using the Supreme Pro-X?

If you just want in the ear the otto noizebarriers are hard to beat imo.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I have shitty ear anatomy and need ear cleanings about once a year. Foamies have resulted in increased cleanings and degraded hearing between cleanings in the past. So, I'll probably steer clear of dedicated in-ear. I figured that I'd just occasionally use the in-ear with something like the AMP + NFMI, if I go that route.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have shitty ear anatomy and need ear cleanings about once a year. Foamies have resulted in increased cleanings and degraded hearing between cleanings in the past. So, I'll probably steer clear of dedicated in-ear. I figured that I'd just occasionally use the in-ear with something like the AMP + NFMI, if I go that route.
    Understand! The msa sordins also awesome muffs

Reactions: Secant
    I have a set of MSA Sordins and a pair of SWATCOM Active8. There both great, I think the swatcoms have a few small upgrades there look just like the msa’s. I’m sure there made by the same company.

I have a set of MSA Sordins and a pair of SWATCOM Active8. There both great, I think the swatcoms have a few small upgrades there look just like the msa’s. I’m sure there made by the same company.

Thanks man, I’ll check those out.

Reactions: Devildog
    I'd try a suppressor and get all those around you to do the same.
    All my bolt guns have dedicated suppressors. Most I know shoot suppressed as well. But I do shoot at some public ranges, so I can’t control everyone around me……yet 😂

I don’t (and won’t) shoot pistols suppressed. I’ve also moved towards shooting my ARs unsuppressed.

I’m hoping work slows down and I’m able to hit up several matches next year, which will most likely have a bunch of uncivilized assholes using brakes 😂

My hearing is still pretty decent, but I want to protect it as long as I can.

Same issue. Have you ever tried custom molded in ear stuff? I’m tempted to give it a try

Same issue. Have you ever tried custom molded in ear stuff? I’m tempted to give it a try
    I haven’t. I don’t mind spending money on this stuff, but I don’t want to just throw money away. If there’s something in particular that you’ve looked at that you think would work, I’d be interested to see a link.

I'd try a suppressor and get all those around you to do the same.
    I've gotten to where I just don't want to be around the non suppressed rifles. With suppressed rifles you can wear in ear auto plugs and be GTG. If you have the money to shoot precision rifles, you have the money to get a suppressor, so do it.

I've gotten to where I just don't want to be around the non suppressed rifles. With suppressed rifles you can wear in ear auto plugs and be GTG. If you have the money to shoot precision rifles, you have the money to get a suppressor, so do it.
    I agree with what you’re saying. I’ve got dedicated suppressors for my bolt guns - that’s not the issue. It’s pretty retarded when I take out $20k of precision rifles and throw on $40 pos muffs 🤣

And like I said, I don’t (and won’t) shoot pistols suppressed, I rarely shoot my ARs suppressed anymore, I don’t have shotgun suppressors, and I can’t control others around me.

Have you ever seen a group called PremEar at a match? They do custom in ear molding while you wait. I have a set of their plugs and they are fantastic. I forget I am wearing them.

I haven’t, but I’ll take a look. Thanks!

I agree with what you’re saying. I’ve got dedicated suppressors for my bolt guns - that’s not the issue. It’s pretty retarded when I take out $20k of precision rifles and throw on $40 pos muffs 🤣

And like I said, I don’t (and won’t) shoot pistols suppressed, I rarely shoot my ARs suppressed anymore, I don’t have shotgun suppressors, and I can’t control others around me.

I haven’t, but I’ll take a look. Thanks!

Yeah I'm with you on the quality ear pro. I don't shoot pistols suppressed either but I do shoot AR's suppressed. I changed a few to piston guns in order to shoot suppressed and it be a little better. I have an R6 in jail and just sent 2 crappy cans to eccomachine for them to recore so I'm hoping when it all shakes out I can pretty much have dedicated cans on each gun.

Not using muffs as often, my sons walkers are what I grab more often than not for pistol shooting but I probably should get a legit set too

Own Sordins, Comtac III, Comtac VI, but... Nothing compares to these: AMP with NFMI. Worth the $$$, seriously.

Hit up @CustomNightVision for a good deal.🙂😉

1000003651.jpg

My whole family uses Sordin Supreme Pro with the gel pads, working great over the past 3-4 years. The wife subjects hers' to a lot of indoor pistol use. I would be interested in hearing from users of Safariland's DEHP or even the Liberators. Mil/LEO discount would them very attractive price-wise.

I use the Otto noizebarrier - they are marginally if at all better than just using traditional earpro. I nearly always use a muff on top and I wouldn’t spend the money again for them.

I’m not saying they don’t work but they have nearly the same protection as most $4 ear pro and if you wear a muff the electronic amplification can overcome the non-linear in ear for comms

I will agree with the OTTO’s I had a pair and one of them crapped out just out of warranty. They were ok but to me not worth buying again. I prefer my sordins with gel cups and if I’m shooting around brakes I throw some foam plugs in under

I took the advice from @NiteQwill and bought from @CustomNightVision late last year. Price for the connectorized, NFMI headset was well under $1,000. They were out of the earplug kit at the time, but I plan on grabbing the earplug later.

So far, the AMPs have been outstanding. Although, I only have experience with cheaper muffs and foamies, so I'm not a good source.

So I have a question about the NFMI part of the equation. I watched a video (below) on how you insert them. You roll them like foamies and insert them like foamies.

With those that own the NFMI plugs, how fast do the foam bits wear out? I imagine they have to degrade fairly rapidly with all the repeated compression over time.

Out of the options listed in the OP I have used (At length) the comtacs 4,5s, the sordins and the amps.
    Overall the amps are the best IMO and ill explain why.
    Sound quality is somewhat personal preference but I believe the comtac 5s and the amps are neck and neck in this department. the sordins are way behind in this regard as they amplify so much of what I don't want to hear they drive me insane. What sets the other two apart is the modularity, size and weight. The comtacs utilize an antiquated mounting system, the cups are rather large and heavy in comparison to the amps. this is important when helmet mounting your comms set from my experience. the Amps provide modularity in mounting to a helmet quickly and then back to the headband with out much effort. The microphone is also removable and can be mounted on the right or the left. The down lead can be removed and can be mounted on wither side, the user can also run two down leads if dual comms capability is required. I still love my comtacs but they never come off my helmet, my amps however, go on and off, get used with or without a mic, with or without a downlead.. they are just more versatile and I like that. Many people justify buying amps by considering that they would typically buy two sets of a less modular ear pro when they plan to have them helmet mounted, to simply alleviate the frustration of taking them off and putting them back on frequently.

So I have a question about the NFMI part of the equation. I watched a video (below) on how you insert them. You roll them like foamies and insert them like foamies.

With those that own the NFMI plugs, how fast do the foam bits wear out? I imagine they have to degrade fairly rapidly with all the repeated compression over time.

They will last for a few months. They are easily replaceable as they are standard Comply foam inserts. I bought a pack of 6 for $15ish dollars.

Readily available on Gentex website to Amazon.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I took the advice from @NiteQwill and bought from @CustomNightVision late last year. Price for the connectorized, NFMI headset was well under $1,000. They were out of the earplug kit at the time, but I plan on grabbing the earplug later.

So far, the AMPs have been outstanding. Although, I only have experience with cheaper muffs and foamies, so I'm not a good source.
    I've tried the Sordins and Comtac Vs. Neither will protect your hearing from braked rifles without earplugs underneath. The Sordins were worse and didn't offer much protection. I'm moving back to passive muffs with the gel seals and plugs underneath.

I'd be very in impressed if your AMPs are better.

I have used the Sordin Supreme Pro-X for years and this past year got Safariland Liberator 2.0........both with gel cups. The Safarilands have a nice voice prompt to inform as to which of 3-ear protection modes you are using; battery compartment has a simple lever throw mechanism; can be upgraded for their Com-systems.

IMG_5488 copy.jpg
    IMG_4938SAFARILAND LIBERATOR 2.0 EAR PRO  11.01.22 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_4939SAFARILAND LIBERATOR 2.0 EAR PRO  11.01.22 copy.jpg

i've been very happy with the Peltor tac-pro (old model). they have full size ear cups and gel pads. pretty high NRR (cant remember exactly). i use them for shooting and auto races.

i've been very happy with the Peltor tac-pro (old model). they have full size ear cups and gel pads. pretty high NRR (cant remember exactly). i use them for shooting and auto races.
    If they were the TacticalPros, their NRR is 26. I have those. Recently discontinued. Much higher quality headband and build than the Sport Tacticals (I had the 300).

I’m 99.9% certain I’m getting a pair of Ops-Core AMP+NFMI so I can have a very high NRR plus actually be able to hear others (I double up with the TacticalPros and can’t hear much even at max volume).

The middle is the NRR for the Ops muffs+NFMI plugs:

32B0368B-5AEE-4EC7-88A6-B11AC6196261.png

Read this: https://www.efficientplantmag.com/2...effects-of-doubling-up-on-hearing-protection/

Whether foamies or custom, you want the best fitting earplugs you can get combined with any decent set of muffs whether electric/active or not (passive).

I use these under Sordin Supreme Pro X's (foamies are fine too if they fit well): https://1of1custom.com/products/total-block

If I were fast-roping out of helicopters... I'd get the Ops Core AMP's and NFMI plugs for all the NRR and the comm's.

That said, we connect ourselves to the gun... bone conduction is science and none of us can hide from that.

Esp apex in ears. Guys will spend tens or hundreds of thousands in shooting shit then cheap out on ear pro. It's hilarious and sad to see people shooting a 12k rifle with 10k in gear in their bag running $30 muffs.

Once you go custom in ears, you will never want to wear a set of muffs again. My sordins collect dust now.

For big 2 day matches when I'm around thousands of braked shots, I always double up with foamies( arguably best nrr rating if used correctly), with any over ear electronics with gel cups.

For big 2 day matches when I'm around thousands of braked shots, I always double up with foamies( arguably best nrr rating if used correctly), with any over ear electronics with gel cups.
    Anybody that does this, do yourself a favor and try a set of Opscore AMPs with the NFMI plugs.

Do any of these mentioned have blue tooth?

I would like to be able to hear the phone ring when on the tractor. I'd bail from tractor to talk but would like to know when a call is coming in. Usually keep phone in shirt pocket but I don't always feel the vibrate.

Do any of these mentioned have blue tooth?

I would like to be able to hear the phone ring when on the tractor. I'd bail from tractor to talk but would like to know when a call is coming in. Usually keep phone in shirt pocket but I don't always feel the vibrate.
    Disco32 if you use something like Peltors or Amps

Can't you link your phone directly to the Amps via Bluetooth without the Discus? I see the need for an intermediate device for say a two-way radio that doesn't send a wifi signal.

These may be of interest to some:

Bone conduction… Francis Colon and/or Chad Heckler mentioned using them in one of the Miles to Matches podcasts to listen to music while running double ear pro (plugs+muffs).

I use these moldable Dezibulls. If there's a lot of loud shooting (large calibers in near vicinity without silencers, or inside) around me, I add my Peltor Sporttacs on top. But most of the time, this easily moldable in-ear protection is enough. I use a silencer myself.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_164656.jpg
      IMG_20230603_164656.jpg
      569.7 KB · Views: 19
    Based on the many comments about Sordin muffs I ordered a set. I got the model with HEAR2-SFA and an NRR 31 opposed to the more standard model having an NRR 19. Wore them for the first time at the range today. The gel cushions are nice and very comfortable. They are somewhat heavy compared to the Walker muffs I've been using. The attenuation is fast, really fast compared to Howard Leight muffs I have and quit wearing. Installing the batteries was a pain and can see replacing them will be a bigger pain. Then there is the cost. Damn things are pricey. Having only worn them one day so far I give them a qualified recommendation.

Reactions: mikefraz
    Installing the batteries was a pain and can see replacing them will be a bigger pain.
    Indeed!. So, I fabricated two implements to install / extract the batteries. Also marked the external battery compartment as to +/- polarity as the cartoon diagram is ridiculously small type font. Keep the tools the range bag. Takes only a few seconds to change Sordin batteries. The Safariland Liberator 2.0 battery compartment is a simple lock lever situation.
    IMG_5488 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_5481 copy.jpg
    IMG_5482 copy.jpg
    IMG_5484 copy.jpg
    IMG_5485 copy.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg

IMG_8376 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5485 copy.jpg
      IMG_5485 copy.jpg
      299.6 KB · Views: 18
    • IMG_5484 copy.jpg