• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2023-2024 Hunting and or Draw results

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Wanted to kick this off with what any Hide members are doing this year or 2024 for hunting. A lot of draw results have been released, my bank account has been drained and my wife is not too pleased with my luck this year.

It would be nice to see 2023 results! I should have played the lottery this year. So far I drew AZ bull Tag for Unit 27, late season, then a Unit 16 in NM deer tag.

Good luck guys, hopefully I draw my Utah tag this year

Skunked on CO bighorn so far. Waiting on everything else. Only draws I did this year was CO since I have an invite to hunt a big whitey in IN, and have the AL lease that I'll keep for at least this year. I did points only in AZ and KS.

Well.. first day of the hunt, about an hour into it. 1 and done!
    IMG_0896.JPG

@waveslayer

I mean, if you’re going to settle for that on the first day… Whatever, I guess.

For reelz. Nice bull.

I got skunked on all draw apps again this year…

• Love
    Reactions: Maggot
    Wow, beautiful elk, give us details on where, weapon ammo etc

Reactions: Maggot
    Wow, beautiful elk, give us details on where, weapon ammo etc
    So the quick amd dirty. Unit 27 in AZ. Drew with 4 points. I was ignorant to the unit thinking that there won't be much pressure... I haven't seen so many hunters in my life! Saw 12 bulls first 5 minutes of scouting the night before. Made a game plan to come back.

We arrived at 4am to the spot, among 10" of new snow amd heavy fog! We had to wait until 7:30 to be able to shoot because of the fog and visibility. I was on a tripod ready to smoke a nice 6x6 that had a nice symmetrical horns, but not much mass... my buddy said I'd shoot him because of how many people were here and hunting. As soon as thr shooting starts its going to get nasty. As soon as I flipped off my safety I look out of the corner of my eye and 3 guys walked right past me! They were maybe 6" from me, I couldn't believe. The bull walked into a thick part of the woods that presented no shot...

10 minutes later another group of hunters walk to us, they at least stopped and moved up the hill... we could still see them. I then spotted the bull I smoked moving up the hill. It went into the trees and then walked out between two trees at 563 yards, I Threaded the needle and 1 and done. The rest is history.

Worst part is, next day when the horses came in to retrieve my bull, the back straps were stolen! WTF!

I can proved more details but that's the jest. Used my custom rifle by Dane at DMR rifles in Vegas chambered in 7.82 Warbird pushing the 215's at 3075.

Very sorry to hear about the circus you went through. When we hunt the Blue we have gone in with mules and horses or full back packs 5 to 6 miles from a dirt road and set up camp. It cuts way down on the people you see. Game and Fish gets a big greedy IMO, giving out 425 tags for that hunt. It’s a big unit but that’s a lot of tags.

As for stolen back straps our party, myself and two 1st cousins, caught two guys, with a guide!, stealing my cousins 6x6 three years ago. It took over an hour to get to the bulls on the opposite ridge (we both killed out of the same batchler herd, and caught t hem red handed. I guess they took his cuz it was a 6x6 even though mine was a bigger body. They were only 20yds apart. It was already quartered and bagged for transport. You should have seen the look on the other guide’s face when we showed up. Looked like he wanted to throw up. Was a young kid or so it seemed to and older guy like me.

The only reason things did not get REALLY ugly was it was only the 2nd day of the hunt, we had a guide and had seen a lot of bulls already. All three of us tagged out on that hunt but man the balls on those guys. Our guide knew the one with them and reported them to Game and Fish. He had a few choice stories on other things that guide company had done. No idea if anything came of it.

Hope it not put you off on Elk hunts. May you have a better hunt next year!

Reactions: waveslayer
    Next year they split it into two hunts and are doing 225 tags each. It will be a mess.

The next day we took a bull at 1455 , it was an awesome shot. My buddy had a tag, he's local. Beautiful place and a lot of Bulls.

Reactions: Faronth
    It is very beautiful for sure. I have friends that are locals as well. I would love to retire there but it is not the same if you have not grown up there.

I guess I will have to head back to northern Maine where I will be the local who grew up there and start chasing a big bull moose! :)