• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2024 Caribou hunt rifle choice

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
I have a
6.5 PRC (0.75 MOA rifle)
300 WM (1.0 MOA rifle)
308 win (0.5 MOA rifle)
Whisch is the best choice for NBR caribou i have self impose 550 yard max shot....

I would say the 6.5 PRC. Even though 550 yards is not the longest one could shoot, you still need 1 MOA or smaller dispersion to ensure a kill shot, even if aiming for the generous part of the vitals.

Reactions: HOOFER
I have a
6.5 PRC (0.75 MOA rifle)
300 WM (1.0 MOA rifle)
308 win (0.5 MOA rifle)
Whisch is the best choice for NBR caribou i have self impose 550 yard max shot....

Honestly whichever you shoot best.

I shot this one with a 300 win mag. At 412 yards.
At that time I had that gun for caribou and grizzly should I of seen one.

I will be going up this summer and will be taking my PRC.

I have shot several of them at 400 plus with my SAUM and 130 grain Bergers.

And a few at under 200 with a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel and 123 SST.

6 creed 103x.

They aren’t difficult to kill.

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 56
I think that the 300WM would be the worst in field shooting positions.....the 6.5 PRC shoots pretty well with the 140 class bullets, but I definitely shoot the 308 best. Recoil management is really easy. But muzzle velocity is just slow with the 165 wt. bullets

I think that the 300WM would be the worst in field shooting positions.....the 6.5 PRC shoots pretty well with the 140 class bullets, but I definitely shoot the 308 best. Recoil management is really easy. But muzzle velocity is just slow with the 165 wt. bullets
Yes, the .308 is slow.

And I am a 308 guy, I have a few in different systems. But, for example, the Federal Fusion 165 gr, which is accurate in my rifle that I normally hunt with, is dropping below 2,000 fps before 500 yards.

Given the distance you may have to shoot at, the impact velocity would, at least for me, decide what to bring. Personally, I would take my 7 PRC but your list does not offer that. So, the 6.5 PRC. Granted, the recoil could be sharper but I would say to get some kind of recoil pad, even a slip-on, that will handle that.

Caribou won’t care.

Laying down can be tough with the muskeg. I shot off a rock and was bipod out.

Off a pack or sticks is likey.

6.5 PRC you can hold fur for a long ways.

Distance is deceiving in AK

Think WIND.
Honestly? 22LR Ruger Mark 2 Government. Just gotta catch the herd as they decide to swim the Kobuk River. Motor up, grab an antler and place a Stinger at the base of the skull. Let it go. Go grab the next one, repeat. Then you motor down stream and grab the first one, then the second one, etc, holding on to the antlers against the gunwale. Drag them to shore and get to work. Post someone to watch for bears. Sure, maybe not as "sporting" but that right there is meat.
The real cool thing is that we could get 5 a day, each, for pretty much every day of the year.

D26E28B6-10E2-44E0-8A49-74A3AB51EBF0.jpeg
A48CB9BD-1A7E-4D11-BD6F-EE7773856BB3.jpeg

FF3CDDD6-E4B7-4843-B999-BF755177B0B7.jpeg
EBAF0F67-9708-4BAD-A26C-8CD1A3064CCA.jpeg

But let me share a little love for the .300 WM. The author of my first book on long range shooting is Ryan Cleckner. Modernly, he is an attorney specializing gun trusts, etc, for suppressors and other NFA items one may have. Formerly, he was a sniper team leader in the 1St Ranger Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment. In service as both sniper and sniper team leader, he carried the M24 in .300 WM. It performed well. With the DOPE he got from previous engagements during his multiple deployments in the GWOT, never had to dial windage. He would dial elevation for distance and then hold the crosshairs left or right edge of target zone and got a hit in that area (20" by 24") out to 500 yards. Most engagements were 300 yards and less.

Modernly, he really likes the .300 PRC and hunts everything with it and even suggests that the Ranger program should adopt that. (They have not, AFAIK.)

So, even though the .300 WM in this list has the widest dispersion, it is still a better choice than the .308. And I say that in spite of having 3 bolts and 1 AR-10 in 308.

But, again, given the choice here, I think the best choice for precision and impact velocity is the 6.5 PRC. The only thing that slices through the air better is the 7 PRC. The 6.5 PRC Outfitter CX 143 grain (copper bullet) is still over 2000 fps at 500 yards.

Reactions: Aftermath
Caribou are significantly bigger than a mule deer, and I prefer 30 or 7mm for everything bigger than muleys. I’d take the 300 WM, but 30 cal magnums hold a special place in my heart. If you can shoot it well in non bench conditions, take it. If not the 6.5 prc.

Looking at Hornady CX for both .300 WM and 6.5 mm PRC, they are so close in impact velocity at 500 yards that is exceedingly difficult to justify using the .300 WM, unless that is what you already have.

Use a .308 but get closer, like 400 yards and in.

So, I must default back to my original choice in this thread, the 6.5 PRC. Accuracy and impact velocity must be the key components, in my book. It is not sectional density or even impact energy. If it was impact energy, the .300 WM would win, hands down. But the energy is not what creates the damage path in the heart and lungs. It is the expanding bullet putting out petals to make itself wider.

There are different impact velocities for different bullet styles and I pick 2k fps as an all around number to use.

Reactions: HOOFER
Looking at Hornady CX for both .300 WM and 6.5 mm PRC, they are so close in impact velocity at 500 yards that is exceedingly difficult to justify using the .300 WM, unless that is what you already have.

So, I must default back to my original choice in this thread, the 6.5 PRC. Accuracy and impact velocity must be the key components, in my book. It is not sectional density or even impact energy. If it was impact energy, the .300 WM would win, hands down. But the energy is not what creates the damage path in the heart and lungs. It is the expanding bullet putting out petals to make itself wider.

There are different impact velocities for different bullet styles and I pick 2k fps as an all around number to use.
But a larger bullet will be causing more damage than a smaller bullet.

There are different impact velocities for different bullet styles and I pick 2k fps as an all around number to use

One of the most beautiful things I have seen was my 6.5 Saum 130 Berger with a brake. at 430 yards on a cold raining AK day hitting a caribou and deflating lungs out of both sides and being able to watch the impact through the scope. And the air leave and the animal go down.

Just a little deer from this season on my property. I just acquired this property and am just starting to try to cultivate the deer. There are plenty that will need culled.
140 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet leaving the barrel at 3250 fps. Impacted (the other side) at 175 yards at about 2900 fps. I too, like to see the impact and results!! My magic number is 1800 fps and I'm good in that respect to about 850 yards with about 1000 ftlbs of energy. Plenty for a little Oklahoma whitetail.
While Caribou will literally just stand and watch you until you are about 750-1000 yards away, when they decide to move on, they won't be stopping until you won't be able to take an ethical shot. Moving is your biggest enemy. Muskeg is exceedingly hard to move on. I used snowshoes (that I built myself) to walk on the shit. Even then, I had some not so fun times escaping the bog. It would behoove you to find a place to hunt where there is no muskeg.
I highly recommend a nylon mosquito suit with a hood and use another full head covering as well. One that will keep the screen away from your face is best. I would pack my stuff into a big ziplock bag and squirt about a half bottle of Bens 100% DEET. Tents with floors are good. Keep that DEET away from all the plastics and waterproofing on the tent and raingear, Goretex is no competition. Not much is.
Are you going to be north of the Brooks?
IMG_6477.jpeg

Reactions: Ronws
Any of those.
A 30 cal 150 at 2700 will kill a caribou.

I would take a lighter 6.5 PRC for caribou only myself of the ones you list

Work on your fitness.

Walking in AK “flats” aka “muskeg” aint like a corn field.
Or even like hiking here in CO.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I vote 6.5prc.

153.5 LRHT did the job on a 530lb cow elk. Double lung and went straight through. Found a small part of jacket inside the hide

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6787.jpeg

I am also a fan on the 6.5 prc for medium sized game. Mine has performed great on deer, elk and black bear.
Realistically the OP would be well served by any of the calibers listed.
The smart choice would be the rifle that he can carry and shoot the best in hunting conditions

Reactions: Modoc
I went to northern Quebec in 2011. Three of us each shot two caribou. 2 Hunters used .30-06 with 180 grain softpoints. I used a .308 Winchester with 165 grain softpoints. Each of the carbon died quickly to a well placed shot. I shot mine at ~60 yards. The other two hunters I was with shot between ~70 and 100 yards.They are bigger than whitetail but seem to did easier in those 6 cases.
Also, if the migration is on, you will see hundreds of caribou. My suggestion is to get closer and select the animal you want after clearly seeing their antlers. While I only have one hunt as an example. After the migration started, by mid week we were chasing the young ones out of camp.
Take good rain gear and waterproof boots and don't pack all your ammo in one bag of using a float plane.
Enjoy yourself

But let me share a little love for the .300 WM. The author of my first book on long range shooting is Ryan Cleckner. Modernly, he is an attorney specializing gun trusts, etc, for suppressors and other NFA items one may have. Formerly, he was a sniper team leader in the 1St Ranger Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment. In service as both sniper and sniper team leader, he carried the M24 in .300 WM. It performed well. With the DOPE he got from previous engagements during his multiple deployments in the GWOT, never had to dial windage. He would dial elevation for distance and then hold the crosshairs left or right edge of target zone and got a hit in that area (20" by 24") out to 500 yards. Most engagements were 300 yards and less.

Modernly, he really likes the .300 PRC and hunts everything with it and even suggests that the Ranger program should adopt that. (They have not, AFAIK.)

So, even though the .300 WM in this list has the widest dispersion, it is still a better choice than the .308. And I say that in spite of having 3 bolts and 1 AR-10 in 308.

But, again, given the choice here, I think the best choice for precision and impact velocity is the 6.5 PRC. The only thing that slices through the air better is the 7 PRC. The 6.5 PRC Outfitter CX 143 grain (copper bullet) is still over 2000 fps at 500 yards.
I still love the 300 WM I am fairly confident that the rifle is much better than I am. I just do not shoot it that much and getting used to shooting is accurately takes more practice than I have given it. But a 165 AB going 3175 fps seems like pretty good medicine for a caribou. Based on feedback here, I think the 308 may be less than ideal on the outer ranges of my self imposed shooting range, especially if there is a significant crosswind. I think that I will practice field shooting with the 6.5 PRC, and the 300WM and see if I can get better at shooting with both of them. If I can get good cold bore shots off of a tripod and backpack, maybe I can convince myself to carry rhe WM. Otherwise, I'll be pushing a 142 ABLR with the 6.5

I went to northern Quebec in 2011. Three of us each shot two caribou. 2 Hunters used .30-06 with 180 grain softpoints. I used a .308 Winchester with 165 grain softpoints. Each of the carbon died quickly to a well placed shot. I shot mine at ~60 yards. The other two hunters I was with shot between ~70 and 100 yards.They are bigger than whitetail but seem to did easier in those 6 cases.
Also, if the migration is on, you will see hundreds of caribou. My suggestion is to get closer and select the animal you want after clearly seeing their antlers. While I only have one hunt as an example. After the migration started, by mid week we were chasing the young ones out of camp.
Take good rain gear and waterproof boots and don't pack all your ammo in one bag of using a float plane.
Enjoy yourself
My preference would be a 30-06. I have a ruger 77 30-06 that I bought in 1987. It has piled up truckloads of whitetails. But it has really only ever been a 1 MOA rifle. Still love it, I've spent a lot of hours in the field with that. I was very tempted to re-barrel it and take that, but this trip has proven to be pretty expensive already

I still love the 300 WM I am fairly confident that the rifle is much better than I am. I just do not shoot it that much and getting used to shooting is accurately takes more practice than I have given it. But a 165 AB going 3175 fps seems like pretty good medicine for a caribou. Based on feedback here, I think the 308 may be less than ideal on the outer ranges of my self imposed shooting range, especially if there is a significant crosswind. I think that I will practice field shooting with the 6.5 PRC, and the 300WM and see if I can get better at shooting with both of them. If I can get good cold bore shots off of a tripod and backpack, maybe I can convince myself to carry rhe WM. Otherwise, I'll be pushing a 142 ABLR with the 6.5
I think that is an excellent idea, regardless of which caliber you choose. Again, I love .308 but the impact velocity drops fast. However, inside of 400 yards, you cannot beat, in the choices you offered, 308 for most affordable and inexpensive and shootable choice. Out to 400 yards, all the calibers are probably within an inch of each other in drop, with 308 having the toughest time with the wind because of its velocity.

Past 400 yards, 6.5 PRC and .300 WM will do better. Recoil really depends on grain weight and desired muzzle velocity. Again, impact velocity, to me, is the deciding factor. My new hot rifle and choice is 7 PRC and while it can suggest that 1800 fps is fine for deer, I still choose 2000 fps because that would also cover mule deer and elk. 7 PRC is still over 2000 fps at 750 yards, which is farther than I am going to shoot at a game animal.

Right now, ranging stuff at work, I know that 300 yards is within an easy comfort zone that probably goes to 400 yards.

On the public hunting land I use, I have ranged sight pictures from 70 yards to 250 yards.

Of these, 6.5 PRC has less recoil by the numbers that .300 WM. It also depends on recoil management. On my 7 PRC, I have a muzzle brake and a cushy recoil pad. So, to me, it feels like a .308 that pushes me back, without feeling punched, about a few inches farther. But outperforms my beloved 308 . And your 6.5 PRC outperforms the 308. Especially for unknown ranges.

I hunt public land and so I use a range finder and some reticle. I also calculate for a few different aiming areas. For example, Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, I was at a spot where I had good sight at 3 locations in front of me. A creek bed at 50 yards, a mountain cedar tree at 100 yards.
And a line of small trees behind that at 180 yards. Basically, I could hold a hair high or low from the cross-hairs, like an MPBR zero.

And without the recoil of a .300 WM.

To me, and I could be wrong, 6.5 PRC is a great hunting round precisely because of accuracy and impact velocity.

Reactions: Aftermath
If you are going to have to hump far...skip the tripod. I'm serious, that muskeg is very difficult to navigate, as in strenuous. Also, if you do ever punch through, it can turn into a life threatening situation. Think about how you might self rescue...like toss the backpack and everything attached as far as you can with a strap or rope attached to help you pull yourself out prone. It's not quicksand, really, but if you can't get back out on top of it, you really are in danger. Take heed on the other recommendations regarding gear and conditions you are going to encounter.

On the other hand, as described, if you are in the right place, you will have them very, very close to you. I once saw a herd of about 200 coming my way while I was out shooting ptarmigan and spruce hens. I had the Ruger pistol and an 870 30" Full 12 gauge. I stepped into a spruce tree and watched/waited. The herd pretty much single filed within touching distance. I have to admit that I was a little bit scared!! I waited for most of them to go by me and then shot a cow in the head with the 12 gauge at about 1 foot from the muzzle. Yeah...I mean, it wasn't a real picturesque thing. There was some panic but mostly the rest of them just sort of looked around...they did not see me standing inside the tree branches.

There is a pass we use to go up to just to watch the migration. Literally as far up the valley and as far down the valley as we could see, migrating Caribou. Thousands of them. Generally about 5-6 wide just marching along. I hope you can see that!

I spent many years living in Bush Alaska and part of me wishes I still lived there. My wife's health condition won't allow it.

I killed the vast majority at Ruger Mark 2 muzzle distance (LOTS) but I did take others. Back then, I only owned a Safari Grade Browning 30-06 that was not even in Alaska and a Remington 700 BDL 300WM for centerfire. I had it loaded with some 200 gr bullets from Sierra and it worked well. Nowadays I use 210 Berger VLD's exclusively in both of the 300WM's I have. I'd take a 300WM over all of the rifles I have at my disposal with the close second being the 280 Ackley made on a blueprinted 700. The 300 allows me a quick kill on moose or griz if the opportunity or need came about.
I've been looking at the 6.5PRC with great interest. It duplicates, albeit with less bullet weight, the ballistics of the 210 VLD and I bet it does so with less recoil and less money spent.

If you are going to have to hump far...skip the tripod. I'm serious, that muskeg is very difficult to navigate, as in strenuous. Also, if you do ever punch through, it can turn into a life threatening situation. Think about how you might self rescue...like toss the backpack and everything attached as far as you can with a strap or rope attached to help you pull yourself out prone. It's not quicksand, really, but if you can't get back out on top of it, you really are in danger. Take heed on the other recommendations regarding gear and conditions you are going to encounter.

On the other hand, as described, if you are in the right place, you will have them very, very close to you. I once saw a herd of about 200 coming my way while I was out shooting ptarmigan and spruce hens. I had the Ruger pistol and an 870 30" Full 12 gauge. I stepped into a spruce tree and watched/waited. The herd pretty much single filed within touching distance. I have to admit that I was a little bit scared!! I waited for most of them to go by me and then shot a cow in the head with the 12 gauge at about 1 foot from the muzzle. Yeah...I mean, it wasn't a real picturesque thing. There was some panic but mostly the rest of them just sort of looked around...they did not see me standing inside the tree branches.

There is a pass we use to go up to just to watch the migration. Literally as far up the valley and as far down the valley as we could see, migrating Caribou. Thousands of them. Generally about 5-6 wide just marching along. I hope you can see that!

I spent many years living in Bush Alaska and part of me wishes I still lived there. My wife's health condition won't allow it.

I killed the vast majority at Ruger Mark 2 muzzle distance (LOTS) but I did take others. Back then, I only owned a Safari Grade Browning 30-06 that was not even in Alaska and a Remington 700 BDL 300WM for centerfire. I had it loaded with some 200 gr bullets from Sierra and it worked well. Nowadays I use 210 Berger VLD's exclusively in both of the 300WM's I have. I'd take a 300WM over all of the rifles I have at my disposal with the close second being the 280 Ackley made on a blueprinted 700. The 300 allows me a quick kill on moose or griz if the opportunity or need came about.
I've been looking at the 6.5PRC with great interest. It duplicates, albeit with less bullet weight, the ballistics of the 210 VLD and I bet it does so with less recoil and less money spent.
FTW, especially if managing recoil.

FWIW, my favorite author in long range shooting used a .300 WM in service in the Rangers 1/75. He could dial elevation for distance based on DOPE and hold left or right edge of target zone into the wind out to 500 yards and get the hit in the zone, in the GWOT, where the wind never stops.

Reactions: TACC and Aftermath

This all sounds like sage wisdom. I hadn't thought about the VLD's...I literally have a few thousand laying around from my F-class days. I may have the most 190 VLD's of anything else. But now I'm motivated to see how well I can get those to print. The 190's out of my F-class 308 were incredible at 600yds.

Think WIND.
Honestly? 22LR Ruger Mark 2 Government. Just gotta catch the herd as they decide to swim the Kobuk River. Motor up, grab an antler and place a Stinger at the base of the skull. Let it go. Go grab the next one, repeat. Then you motor down stream and grab the first one, then the second one, etc, holding on to the antlers against the gunwale. Drag them to shore and get to work. Post someone to watch for bears. Sure, maybe not as "sporting" but that right there is meat.
The real cool thing is that we could get 5 a day, each, for pretty much every day of the year.

View attachment 8305027View attachment 8305028
View attachment 8305026View attachment 8305025
The photos are amazing. I don't anticipate getting to harvest with that technique, but it sounds like great way to fill some freezers.

I used a 300winmag in 2004 when we went tundra caribou hunting. Granted I didn’t end up shooting over 200 yards, so it wouldn’t have mattered if I had a tad smaller caliber. Three of us went, two used 300winmag, the other guy used a 280 iirc. All three of us dropped a caribou for that trip.

Reactions: Ronws
I used a 300winmag in 2004 when we went tundra caribou hunting. Granted I didn’t end up shooting over 200 yards, so it wouldn’t have mattered if I had a tad smaller caliber. Three of us went, two used 300winmag, the other guy used a 280 iirc. All three of us dropped a caribou for that trip.
I have seen a few swear by 280 AI for just about everything.