• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 loads needed for AR's

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
I bought me a DPMS .204 bout a year ago and now wantin to start tryin some loads through it. It's a 24 inch tube with a 1-12 twist. Like to push some 32gr. out of it. Anyone have any loads that I could start with and try?

Re: .204 loads needed for AR's

39 gr Blitzking, 27.5 gr 748, Win case and 7.5 REM BR primer. 2.250 OAL. It runs 3550 fps out of a friends AR with a 20" barrel. I shot 2 five round groups from a bipod at 100 that went under .3, end of load development! 748 meters like water.

40 Vmax
26.8gr WC844 (supposedly H335)
Wolf SRmag Primer

Shoots .24 from front rested bolt action @ 100y

Start low, this is a max published load for H335 and I'm using a bolt action

26 Barnes Varmint Grenade
30.3gr WC844
Wolf SRmag primer

This is very hot, start low and work into it. Shoots very well with a .035 jump, not a long range type load, only used for dusting eggs and rodents at close range.

What twist is that ar running? Ive shot some 39 and 40's and they all hit the paper side ways thaTS WHY IM GONA RUN THE 32 OR 35's...

They stabalize when its warm outside, but when its cold its a different story.

What twist are you referring to for being unstable in the cold? I just got the rifle a month ago, the coldest I've shot it has been about 70F

Im refering to Moofs rifle. 1/12 twist. I did some load devlopment for him. It was around 60degrees, they stabilzed just fine. He shot it in 30 degree weather(same load), groups were shit and quite a few keyholes.

Sounds like I might be in the same park if I shoot this during the winter months then. That sucks, seeing as Hornady makes 40gr Vmax factory ammo and the rifles on the market are all 12 or 14 twist tubes unless they've had an aftermarket barrel screwed on there.

Sorry to jack your thread, but does anyone in here have experience with a fast twist 204? I think it'd be a sweet shooter with the heavy bergers, whats your opinion?

My 'Smith built one a few weeks ago for a customer. Specifically for the heavy Bergers. It sure looked like it would be fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_21420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to jack your thread, but does anyone in here have experience with a fast twist 204? I think it'd be a sweet shooter with the heavy bergers, whats your opinion? </div></div>

I can only imagine it would get better, and mine shoots 1/4" groups with the 40 Vmax.

I don't have a real drive to try a heavy bullet for the simple reason that it's duplicating other things that I already have worked up. My favorite "splash" experience is using the super light 26's to shoot eggs, the 40's are impressive but the 26's leave cooked egg residue on the stumps.

Eggs??? You shoot eggs??? Poor lil birdies! LOL. I can't believe no one on here doesn't know any data for some 32's. I could run them 39's since it's warm out but what am I gonna do for the song dogs in the winter? Guess i'll have to dust off the ol sling shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eggs??? You shoot eggs??? Poor lil birdies! LOL. I can't believe no one on here doesn't know any data for some 32's. I could run them 39's since it's warm out but what am I gonna do for the song dogs in the winter? Guess i'll have to dust off the ol sling shot. </div></div>

Chicken eggs, you get them from a grocery store...

Hodgdon's website has loading data for 32's, so I'd start there.

If you get some 26's and need a starting point let me know. I think it's about 27.5grains of WC844 or H335

EDIT: I had those 40 Vmax out to 600y today. At 400 I made no change to my 100y zero and the first shot hit a torso sized steel plate. Not even a challenge.

I printed a 3/8" group at the 200y board and a 3.5" group at 600y. I ran out of ammo at that point or I'd probably still be there chasing groups at 600y. Stock Savage 12 FV