• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

204 ruger and Cci 450 primers

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I am fairly new at reloading and recently built a 204 and I don’t see that mix in my reloading data. My plan is to use varget, Cci 450, and 40gr vmax. Do I need to start with a lower powder charge if I am using magnum primers? I would use non magnum but don’t have any. I would also like to try h4895 but can’t find that either.......so working with what I have at the moment.

Take my experience with a grain of salt, but I found no difference in velocity in my 20 tactical with 450 compared to the 400, but better sd’s which is why I shoot them. As far as powders, 10x, benchmark, and 8208 are awesome. 8208xbr I found clean, fast, and stable! My go to in my 223, 20 tac and my old 204

Take my experience with a grain of salt, but I found no difference in velocity in my 20 tactical with 450 compared to the 400, but better sd’s which is why I shoot them. As far as powders, 10x, benchmark, and 8208 are awesome. 8208xbr I found clean, fast, and stable! My go to in my 223, 20 tac and my old 204
Thanks for the info! Is not that I don’t want to try other things, we just know how they have been to get. I consider myself luck to have what I have. I will just start a bit low and work up and look for pressure.

I've used CFE223 with BR4's/450's with good results. I've also tried RL10 and Pro Varmint with good results. Check out the 204Rugerdotcom site for tons of load data and discussion.

If its an ar-15 you are going to want to use the CCI-450 with a thicker cup. CCI 400s are famous for piercing in ar-15s.

You would have to be shooting your 20cal a long way for your velocity spread to show up on target.

It’s a bolt gun. And I will do a little checking on the 204 ruger site also. Thanks!