• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .204 Ruger custom. I think im there with my load

blackfox

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Somerset, England
Hey Guys, just a quick post.

Before i get any stick, i know this may not be to snipershide taste in posting groups but here you go. Found these pics on my phone in a odd folder from a load development outing back in the summer

5 shots 100yrds

Rifle info

Custom .204 ruger, built by RifleCraft in the UK
Blue Printed rem 700 action
26" heavy contour match barrel
L.E.I moderator
AICS, using .223 mags
IOR 6-24x50 (that is now sat on my .308, replaced with a NXS 5.5-22x50)
Timney Trigger
Harris bi-pod
homemade rear bag
Niggeloh backpack sling

Load as follows for people intrested.
REPLICATE WITH CAUTION!

Win Brass, 3rd firing, trim to 1.845, datum @ 1.556
Neck sized
Inside ream the neck
Primer pocket de-burr & uniformed
Wieght ranged within 2grn
26.1grn H322
Federal Gold medal primers
39grn SBK
o-give @ 1.905"

and Voila!

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

And here is a pic of the range
IMG_0112.jpg

Re: .204 Ruger custom. I think im there with my load

That is one well setup .204 Ruger and one nice group too.

I built a .204 Ruger on a Rock River Arms AR-15 upper, White Oak Armory 26" inch barrel in 1:10"inch twist to intentially shoot Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullets for long range shooting out to 600 yards. I didn't micrometer my bullet holes at 100 yards when I was load testing through the chronograph but I was definitely shooting groups less then 1/2" inch. I'm using Accurate 2015 at 25.5 grains and had to trickle the powder in the cases to get the bullets seated back to 2.25 COAL to fit in a AR-15 magazines. Pushing the bullets @ 3650 feet per second but no signs of pressure on the cases.

Next reload session when I shoot this last batch up I will drop the A 2015 down two grains and see if the performace is affected much. Seirra Bullets accuracy load was 25.6 of A 2015. I started at 24.5 grains and worked up 2 grains at a time. I didn't load any at 25.6 grains because I was just a little scared too. Anyway I shot a test batch at 25.3 grains of Accurate 2015 and the groups was just the same to me looking at them at the time. If it works then I may not have to spend so much time trickling the powder in and just throw them with the powder measure.

Cheers!

Forgot to add, its a 1/10 twist.

Initially this rifle was a bitch to reload for, i tried H335, BL-C2, etc

Finally settled on H322, will also shoot ok at 25.5grns.

Im pretty sure that the barrel took its time to "settle down"...

TAC06, i couldnt get the V-MAX 40's to work with my stick, maybe i didnt put enough effort into them.

I also tried the Hornady 45grn SP's with no joy. havnt managed to find any Nosler 40's but i would like to try them.

I first started using the 39grn SBKs when it was a SPS-Varmint. Its my general varmint rifle and found them to cause the most trauma.

I havnt got out to zero the NightForce yet, when i do i will get some groups of 25.5 & 26.1 posted.

Cheers

Good looking .204!

I have had really good results with alliant reloader 10x and hornady 40gr. Vmax. If I remember correctly, 23.0 grains of 10x gets me to 3580 fps with out any pressure signs. Accuracy is right around 1/2".

A couple of years ago my dad came back to south dakota to visit my family for thanksgiving and I put hin on my .204. We spent an entire afternoon shooting leftover clay pigeons nywhere from 250-450yards. It was a perfect day for shooting and I don't think we missed more than 5 or 6 times.

Love these little calibers, they really put a whuppin' on vermin!

Was rereading my old posts, Varminteruk. Sorry too hear the 40 and 45 grain bullets is not flying well out of your rifle. It should at your twist rate and barrel length. Wish I had some advice to give to help but looks like you're all over it just fine. Well maybe your barrel's rifling is slightly different from my White Oak barrels like more lands, less lands, type of rifling procedure done to the barrel, button, cut, hammer forged... Might be why it is liking the just lighter 39 SMK bullets. I just don't have a clue why. Well anyway your picture of your target says it shoots fine so be happy and enjoy your rifle. Cheers