• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 ruger in a AR-15....WOW!!!

Fieldman_.308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
utah
If I may, I want to give a little back ground on my rifle. I bought the kit from Model1sales. It's a 24 inch shaw barrel(please, no jokes)in a 1 in 12 twist. Ok, I've only shot a few rounds through this rifle, but i got to say I've never seen a small cal rifle group this poorly. Best I've seen to date is @ 3 inches at 100 yards. After checking groups at 25 and 50 yards, which were all under an inch, I've started wondering if I'm way off margin with the right size bullet. I have had several people shoot it AND look it over, and no one has found anything wrong. I was shooting 40 gr nosler ballistics. I'm thinking of finding a 32 gr or smaller. If you guys could give any advice it would be much appreciated, thanks!

Re: .204 ruger in a AR-15....WOW!!!

My 204 will only shoot the 32s. Its worth a try.

Do you see issues with larger bullets? Oh, and sorry for putting this semi in the bolt threads!

I know in the 12 twist bolt actions it is hit or miss. My savage vlp will shoot the 40 grainers awesome but my friends remington will not. Try the 32 grainers and I bet things will get better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fieldman_.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I may, I want to give a little back ground on my rifle. I bought the kit from Model1sales. It's a 24 inch shaw barrel(please, no jokes)in a 1 in 12 twist. Ok, I've only shot a few rounds through this rifle, but i got to say I've never seen a small cal rifle group this poorly. Best I've seen to date is @ 3 inches at 100 yards. After checking groups at 25 and 50 yards, which were all under an inch, I've started wondering if I'm way off margin with the right size bullet. I have had several people shoot it AND look it over, and no one has found anything wrong. I was shooting 40 gr nosler ballistics. I'm thinking of finding a 32 gr or smaller. If you guys could give any advice it would be much appreciated, thanks! </div></div>

Just curious,with the equipment listed in your sig line,why a Mod1 sales kit ? Just had to ask............
grin.gif

Lol, K well my reasons where simple...Money! I guess thats not really simple, but i wanted to build an ar about 3 years ago and could afford one of their kits. My first rifle ended up being their varmint 20 inch bull. That rifle still shoots everything under an inch! No joke! So I played with the idea of a 204 for coyote hunting. 204 for obvious reasons, and the ar for quick firing at runners(coyotes). I've heard the faster twist rates are more common in this rifle, is that true?

I honestly don't know much about the little calibers and suitable twist rates/bullet weights. I bought it to whack muscrats that were destroying a dam. And it did it quite well.

I bought a couple different boxes of ammo when I bought mine and the Hornady 32gr stuff was by far the best shooting. WAY better than the 40 and 45 grain stuff.

But I will say this. It seems to foul quickly and needs cleaning more than any other rifle I own. Have you tried cleaning it?

I clean all my new rifles to get the factory mud out of it, so it was clean when we shot it. But I'll check it again.

My AR has a Sabre Def. bbl and only shoots 32gr bullets well
--need a diff twist for the heavies--best P-dog round ever and hell on coyotes also