• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 Ruger Load

Re: .204 Ruger Load

What exactly do you need to know? Ideas about what?

.204 is my favorite varmint caliber.

Well, this is my .204
IMG_0095.jpg

1/10 twist 26" barrel, Rem Blue-Printed action

Now i run
39grn Sierra BK's
26.1 H322
Winchester Brass
Federal Gold Match Primers

Cant remember the rest, PM me if intrested and i will get back when im home over the weekend

Will shoot very tight in mine (tightest 5 shot .2" at 100yrds), seems to open at 200 so more time needed to improve, more speed maybe...maybe me

but thats just mine, although the .204's can be very fussy animals....

I always had the best luck with 35 grn bergers, hornady brass, federal 205m primers, and varget powder. It would shoot 1/2 moa or better at 200 yds all day. Never had much luck with the 39s being consistent.

What load you use. Powder and charge,bullet,brass,primer

2brothers641, I use varget as well...29.x gr and 39SBK but i am having trouble getting better than .4 or so at 100. So that's why i was asking for other peoples load data. This is an edit(I get .4s or so and thats 5 shot groups)

I use Win case 205 m primer 39g sierra and started With 23.5g RELOADER 10X and work load up using proper safety measures This combo shoots .3moa in my bone stock XR100

I have two 204 rifles, a CZ varmint kevlar and a PacNor super match 1 in 9 twist on a Remington action.
My load is the same for both:
27.8 Hodgdon Benchmark
32 Hornady VMAX
CCI BR4 primer
Remington brass

Hodgdon max is 28 gr. I dropped a couple tenths as I load them with a 550 Dillon. They are a laser in the Remington, often shooting hi .1" and low.2" at 100 yds (5shot). In the CZ it is usually a 1/2 minute shooter. I am off the lands at least 20 thou. It is a flat shooting prairie dog killer.

27.5 grains of varget with the 35 grn berger. I have shot a couple of hellish groups with other bullets, 39 sierra, 32 hornady, but they were not consistent enough for me. I will have to admit, berger makes about the best target bullets

As varminteruk said the 204 is fussy. 39 work better for me but 35 bergers don't(I love bergers though) IYHO would the best path to improvement be with different powders?

If you are going to mass produce then I have found that 28.0 grs of W748 works great in a Dillon. W760 also shoots very well but is 3-400 FPS slower.

Sierra 39gr or 40gr VMAX
28.0 gr W748
Fed 205m or Rem 71/2 primer
Win or Rem brass.
OCL 2.260" so it will run through AR Mags in a White Oak .204 upper.

Other powders to consider - Benchmark for 32gr bullets, Varget and R-15 work well for the 40gr bullets.

Note after some unscientific studies done on 1,000's of dogs last year the consensus was that the 40gr bullets have better overall terminal ballistics.

Enjoy.

I've had good luck with:

Hornady V-max 32 grain
Winchester brass
26.5 grains Ramshot Xterminator
Federal GM205M primers
COAL 2.25

I shoot 32 grn bullets, I figure if I need heavier bullets I'd use my 223.

When I first got mine I tried the Accuracy Load listed in the Sierra Reloading manuel for the 32 grain pill. Didn't work too well using match primers and I went to CCI SP standard primers and now its outstanding.

But all rifles are diffearnt.

Yeah, definitely never going to get a .204 seated to the lands. This is one caliber that loves the jump