• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

204 Ruger loads with 26 grain Barnes

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I have a box of the 26 grain HP's by Barnes. Hodgdon lists data for 32, 35, 40 and 50 grain bullets, but not the 26's.

I back calculated a load range for BLC-2 and H335 for a linear regression to 26 grains, added a little to the min, and worked up to a little past the max (1 grain) for what I calculated to be max.

For H335 I calculated a min of 27.8 grains and a max of 29.3, I shot up to 29.6, 30.0, 30.3 grains and I saw no ill effects from pressure. I'd planned to push it up a little more the next time I was out and working in 0.3 grain increments push to 31.5 in a 5 shot per charge ladder to see what rolls out.

Anyone ever tried these little bullets and find that the loads are significantly more powder than one might expect?

I also worked on a load for 40 grain Vmax with H335 and found that the listed 26.8 grain max charge was leaving round primers and I actually shot 27.0 and 27.2 grains. I was going to push it a little faster to see when primers started to flatten out and show pressure effects in the brass.

The conditions were low humidity, 85 deg F, it certainly wasn't cold out. I could only think that the published max load data is more very conservative for this round was because it's also fired in AR15 uppers and they didn't want to snap bolt heads. I'm shooting it from a Savage 12, which is more than capable of taking the pressure to flow brass (not like I'm going to try it, but still).