• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 a-max

Re: 208 a-max

Look in teh reloading sub forum for loads.

Mine throws 'em at 2885 fps from a 26" barrel and at 1250 ASL is supersonic to 1650-1700 yd depending on temp.

It's an EXCELLENT long range solution

thanks for your input not looking for load data at this time just trying to see what everyone thinks of them

Gotcha.

The recoil is pretty nasty when you get them moving that speed, the -06 can be a bear to begin with, when you get 300 WM velocities going from those bullets it taxes your shoulder pretty good.

They're an excellent bullet, they're very accurate and have great construction for shooting steel, paper, and animals.

In the 30 cal heavy class, it's the in the top 2 bullets in the market. It is a toss up between the 210 VLD Berger and this as to which is better and they're very very close.

The tested G7 BC's on the 208 are slightly higher, but not by much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an EXCELLENT long range solution </div></div>
+1. It's hard to beat.

Definitely a solid choice. Been wondering why more people don't shoot them myself...

I'd choose a .300 WSM instead if I had to use a .30 caliber and wanted range beyond what 30-06 is capable of.

I'm not shooting them in a .30-06, i'm using a .308, but regardless, they are a great bullet. I took a decent buck this year at about 40 yards and the bullet appeared to perform perfectly. It didn't fragment like I thought it would that close in. They're my go-to hunting bullet now, plus they do long range very well.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd choose a .300 WSM instead if I had to use a .30 caliber and wanted range beyond what 30-06 is capable of. </div></div>

Comparing the case capacities and having loaded for them I've seen very little reason to leave the 30-06 for a 300 WSM considering the level of brass quality and availability for the 06 against the 300 WSM and the fact that the majority of WSM's are built on a short action, and shooting a mag length SA 300 WSM cuts that powder capacity back down below what the 30-06 holds when you get above 180gr bullets.

30-06 holds 70-72gr of H20
300 WSM holds 74gr of H20

This translates to about 1.5gr of powder capacity increase. Lapua makes brass for 30-06 as does Norma, Winchester, R-P, Federal, Hornady, etc and probably the best brass I have ever had was LC Match '56, that stuff holds 76gr of water on average.

Paul_T- The Amax is very inseating depth sensitive except my experience has shown that they DO NOT like a jam at all.

All amax like to be jumped. I have not found any yet that dont like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All amax like to be jumped. I have not found any yet that dont like it. </div></div>

Have you found that they all generally have a sweet spot of jump .010,.020,.030??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All amax like to be jumped. I have not found any yet that dont like it. </div></div>

Have you found that they all generally have a sweet spot of jump .010,.020,.030?? </div></div>

The sweetest spot on my 30-06's were

155 - 50 thou is the closest I can get it to the lands. It shot great
178 - 25 thou was great accuracy and lots of powder space

208 - 15 jump gives me best accuracy and good powder space, 10 thou and 20 thou didn't shoot as well.

In the 7 SAUM

162 Amax - Still has a short throat and it's a hunting rifle, 32 thou jump (mag length) gets me sub MOA which is vital zone out to 600+ so I'm done screwing with it

.010 - .025 have been the happy place!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What length is your barrel and I see you are 2.664 to ogive, do you know what your OAL is? </div></div>

26" 1/11.25" Rock M/24 5R
3.393 OAL