• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 Amax - .30 cal

Re: 208 Amax - .30 cal

Thanks, just ordered 2 boxes out of 8 left.

Let's hope it works out, lol.

Chris

ETA: Drats, they emailed me back canceling my order due to the 208s not being in stock.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered when they said they had 6 boxes left and got confirmation today that they had shipped. </div></div>

Let me know if you actully get them, as I ordered yesterday, quickly and the order went through, but their subsequent email belayed that order.

I asked for a credit refund and I got the notice today, so it sucks to be me, I guess?

Laterz, Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, I just got the refund notice a few minutes ago, bummer. </div></div>

LOL!

I don't feel so bad now. I was kind of pissed that you ordered after me and you got your order and I didn't get mine! Neaner, neaner, neaner.

That company's screwed up. I waited on hold, twice, only to be told to leave a message. Got no call back, but I did get a bunch of spammy emails. I need to call AMEX tomorrow, just to make sure the credit went through.

I wonder if the OP knows what's up?

Chris

I have not gotten an email that says that they have cancelled or refunded my order. I am guessing that I will recieve them next week. I just checked today and they say they have 11 in stock. Don't know what's up!!

either they know a supplier that has some or they're just full of crap. Does anyone know the reliability of this outfit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triman2008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not gotten an email that says that they have cancelled or refunded my order. I am guessing that I will recieve them next week. I just checked today and they say they have 11 in stock. Don't know what's up!! </div></div>

I'm betting that you don't get them. Check your spam folders.

You posted and I quickly went and ordered, they said there were 8 left. Guy above orders and it says 6 left. I get my OUT OF STOCK email and then he gets his, but you now say that they have 11?

I've never seen that site, so it's not like PowderValley, or Midway, where you can have a dozen, or two, guys from here bombarding the poor place with orders all at once.

Anyhow, right after I posted my sob story, a Hide member here contacted me with an offer to buy his, so I'm golden bitches!

I have 2# of RL-17 and just want to fiddle with velocity and getting them up around that 2700 fps range, claimed by others here. 26" Savage 10FP, so it might not be too hard.

Chris

I have some 208's I'll let go. One unopened box and an open box containing 37. 137 shipped CONUS for $46 (via USPS flat rate box), that's about what I have in 'em. PM me if interested.

FWIW, I found a fellow with a couple of boxes on another forum. He said the local shop had more. They do @$41/100 (ouch) When I called there were five boxes in stock and they will ship. If you positively have to have some then:

Cliff's Guns and Safes,

655 N Five mile Rd Boise, ID 83713

Phone; 208-375-8694 and 877-585-4036

I just called this outfit and they did say they were out of stock, so they are just going to refund the money back to my account. Oh well.....maybe next time.

I just called Hornaday to confirm that basiclly all vendors are out of stock on this ammo. Survey says.....they are. Hornaday will be producing another batch come the end of this month and should be to the vendors by the first week in November.

This is what I call an amazingly unresponsive company. Most major vendors dried up in July.

I called them in August and September and warned them that due to everybody and their cousin's sheep using these things in everything from a Glock to a slingshot, that DUH! there production schedule *<span style="font-weight: bold">might </span>*be junk. I was told that there was a meeting that week on production and they might pull them in. That was when I called in August. When I called in September, the schedule had actually moved OUT a month.

These people obviously do not need us or are just showing an inordinate lack of concern or understanding of their customer base. I doubt that anybody there *really* understands the untapped market of a relatively low-priced, accurate .30 cal heavy. We use thousands of these things a year, while hunters use 10's. I am confident that we MORE than make up for our small numbers.

Come on Hornady! Get your shit together.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I call an amazingly unresponsive company. Most major vendors dried up in July.

I called them in August and September and warned them that due to everybody and their cousin's sheep using these things in everything from a Glock to a slingshot, that DUH! there production schedule *<span style="font-weight: bold">might </span>*be junk. I was told that there was a meeting that week on production and they might pull them in. That was when I called in August. When I called in September, the schedule had actually moved OUT a month.

These people obviously do not need us or are just showing an inordinate lack of concern or understanding of their customer base. I doubt that anybody there *really* understands the untapped market of a relatively low-priced, accurate .30 cal heavy. We use thousands of these things a year, while hunters use 10's. I am confident that we MORE than make up for our small numbers.

Come on Hornady! Get your shit together.

John </div></div>

I think that what's happening with demand is that (besides the usual 300 WM/WSM/RUM shooters using these bullets to good effect) the 308 shooters are now playing with RL-17 and getting this otherwse 'too heavy for cartridge' bullet upwards in velocity, where's it's giving the 155 Scenar a run for its money.

This is the only reason that I'm buying them and I would have never done so without the potential that RL-17 is yielding.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that what's happening with demand is that (besides the usual 300 WM/WSM/RUM shooters using these bullets to good effect) <span style="font-weight: bold">the 308 shooters are now playing with RL-17</span> </div></div>

Chris,

This is *exactly* the target of my tongue-in-cheek reference to Glocks and sling-shots.
grin.gif
You apparently have not seen my other posts regarding this, uh, sensitive topic.
wink.gif

(all in good fun, of course!)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triman2008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called this outfit and they did say they were out of stock, so they are just going to refund the money back to my account. Oh well.....maybe next time. </div></div>

If this is inre my post about Cliff's, I did buy a few boxes from them; there were five boxes left after my purchase. But you know: word gets around fast.

-Disregard - I read up a few posts and saw what you were referring to

I *just* got off the phone with Lindy at Hornady. The production run of 208's has be pushed back *AGAIN* to the end of Nov. They'll ship to dealers two weeks later. That means no 208's until at least the middle of Dec.

John

Just got off the phone with the helpful young lady at Hornady. 208 Amax production has been slipped to February, 2011. 208 BTHP's should be available Jan. 15.

John

I don't know if anyone cares but I just picked up some 208 A-Max rejects on 12-29 that were just boxed that day so they *may* be working on them now.

Out of a .308 what twist are you guys runing this bullet? My new stick will have a 1-12 twist? I was thinking of trying these to make subsonic groundhog loads???

Yep... I struck out at all my usually productive sources... BUMMER. I could use a box or two if anyone finds some.

Ive order last week 11 boxs of 208 Amax , and should get them on the 5th !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So whats the deal with these AMAX's? I heard alot of people were having accuracy problems with them? Is the extra weight worth it over a 168 or 178? </div></div>

It's not just weight, it's Ballistic Coefficient. Heavier bullets tend to be longer, thus more aerodynamic. The higher the BC, the more efficient the bullet is... less drag. So air, in the form of frontal drag and side load from wind, have less of an effect. Free elevation (flatter shooting)and less wind drift.

A heavier (slower) high BC bullet will perform ballistically superior to a lighter (faster) bullet with a lower BC, at some finite range.

John

Just got my back ordered 2000 of them in yesterday. They are shipping.