• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

208 AMAX: Jam or jump

colt933

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Tennessee
I'd like to take a poll:

Who jams their 208 into the lands? If so, how much?

Who jumps their 208? If so, how much?

Thanks!!

Re: 208 AMAX: Jam or jump

A .020" to .010" jump is where I have found the sweet spot.

Anywhere from just touching to .020 off has worked well for me. Never tried jamming though.

good info and good ? COLT
I've just found a powder charge and am now going to start backing away from touching the lands. If what you guys are saying is true then I'm looking forward to finding that sweet spot and seeing what happens to my group size.

.010 off the lands here with the ff result
fired out of a Savage 10 BA

65883e2b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30/50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good info and good ? COLT
I've just found a powder charge and am now going to start backing away from touching the lands. If what you guys are saying is true then I'm looking forward to finding that sweet spot and seeing what happens to my group size. </div></div>

I was getting good accuracy (3/4 MOA at 200) in win cases .300wm 78.9gr H1000 jammed in .010", but velocity was low (2875+/-). I jumped .010" with same charge and velocity went way up (3050+/-) but group size got worse. So I will work my charge weight down and experiment with jumping .010 to .020.

Thanks for all the responses.

JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP!!

I jump all mine(6mm, 6.5mm, .308) between .020" and .010" and it's worked fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hijack but do all Amax's like jump? </div></div>

I have shot every kind of Amax except for the 22c 52gr version.

Every one of them liked to be jumped between 0.01-0.025" across the span of several rifles in each caliber.

I jump the amax's and jam the vld's and smk's. Has to do with the ogive profile. I don't have my load data handy right now though. I think the SMK's were .005 in the lands and the amax was .03 out.