• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 Amax vs. 168 Amax

Racerngr1

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Corona, CA
Which bullet would be better in my Rem 700 SPS to work up a load with for my 30-06. I would like to get it out to 1,000 and don't think I will even attempt to take this rifle past that. I already purchased the 208gr because the BC was higher and some Hodgdon powder. If you could give me pro's and con's on both I would appreciate it.

Rifle: Rem 700 SPS 30-06
Scope: PST 6x24x50
Harris Bi-pod

Thanks in advance.

Re: 208 Amax vs. 168 Amax

I hope the twist is 1 in 10? I would think they would work.You will have to try them. What powder di you choose.Give us the details.

If you can get the 208 to shoot well you will be happy with it. Not sure about the 168's but I have heard lots of good things.

edit: 4895=good choice for garand loads but not for 208 amax. Think about a powder more toward a 300win mag like H4350.

Ok, I didn't know which powder to buy and im not brand loyal or anything, so....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racerngr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which bullet would be better in my Rem 700 SPS to work up a load with for my 30-06. I would like to get it out to 1,000 and don't think I will even attempt to take this rifle past that. I already purchased the 208gr because the BC was higher and some Hodgdon powder. If you could give me pro's and con's on both I would appreciate it.

Rifle: Rem 700 SPS 30-06
Scope: PST 6x24x50
Harris Bi-pod

Thanks in advance.</div></div>

For 1000 yard stuff it has to be the 208. The heaviest bullets in the AMax range for each calibre have a BC significantly better than implied by simply scaling their weight. If you compare their form factors then its the 208. The 208 is one of the most ballistically efficient in its class.

Upside - much better wind performance.

Downside - greater drop but who cares that's deterministic.

You need to be sure that your twist rate will stabilise the bullet in your range of environmental conditions. In a 30-06 you should be ok, but best to check?

I have a 24" barrel, 1 in 10 twist. How do I know if that will stabilize the bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racerngr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24" barrel, 1 in 10 twist. How do I know if that will stabilize the bullet? </div></div>

Because we're telling you it will
smile.gif

you're in good hands with that twist.

208 amax is a great round. you will be pleased...

I'm working on a load myself, It's H4350 with lapua cases and 3.548 OAL with 208 amax. you won't get that COAL most likely though, my chamber was made for it (I determined that by checking the max allowable length I could insert in my mag)

have you thought about the 178's? I shoot those out to 700 yards all the time. And they were designed for a 1:10

one gripe I have about the amax is the damn ballistic tip. man they're sensitive they always get banged up which kills your accuracy.

I had one loose in a ammo box, and I opened it and bam. might as well throw it out.

same thing when you gotta use a hammer like bullet remover. breaks the tips off

but besides the tip, i love them
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one gripe I have about the amax is the damn ballistic tip. man they're sensitive they always get banged up which kills your accuracy.

I had one loose in a ammo box, and I opened it and bam. might as well throw it out.

smile.gif
</div></div>

What about the new 208 BTHP... has no ballistic tip.

Same ballistic coeffiency?

I honestly knew nothing about it. Tell me more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one gripe I have about the amax is the damn ballistic tip. man they're sensitive they always get banged up which kills your accuracy.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Too bad they don't have a version with an aluminum tip like the 50 Amax. They would look totally badass, I wonder how consistent they could be made...

I guess it's plastic for a reason. But it's def not shtf friendly. Just range work, I had a double feed and when the plastic hit the other case, it vent the tip. Was a other waste. But I actually sanded it smooth and shot it. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better bc </div></div>

Really? For the same price? How come it isn't the hottest item on the block then?

Have shot many thousands of AMAX bullets in .30, 6.5 and 6mm calibers and can count on one hand how many times the plastic tip has fallen off or even been damaged while shooting matches, at my home range or loading. Not sure why you are having such a tough time with them Taseal.

If pulling a bullet do it slower and not just slamming the puller on the hard surface. A couple good smacks then little ones until it pops out. No damage.

I have found one tip that has fallen out in the box and one loose one.

I'll show a pic of one when I get home. It was just loose in a p,ASIC ammo box

Not doubting you had one as it happens but it's not happening so much as to be a problem. Or that they are super sensitive and just fall out all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you thought about the 178's? I shoot those out to 700 yards all the time. And they were designed for a 1:10 </div></div>

I use 178gn amax's in my .308 win with 45gn of adi 2208/varget it has a 1-10 twist and they shoot awesome hitting a consistent 3" group at 500 yds not bad for a remmy sps factory sporter barrel in my book and were talking 10 shot groups. Anyway I think a 178gn would go perfect in your barrel but I would try Adi 2209/h4350 to slow the burn rate for 30-06 and I'd say you would be sweet in my book a bc isn't everything sometimes a rifle will prefer a bullet with a lower bc and as for having tips coming out of Hornady projectiles the only time I've ever had it happen was in a bullet puller and even then it was only a couple of times out of the 5000+ Hornady projectiles I've reloaded over the years

Also h4895 I use for varmint grenades in .243 win and .223 rem 55gns I wouldnt run them on a 300 win mag burns way too fast for a 170+ gn projectile in a 300 mag

Someone needs to check out the thread on 30-06, 208.

Someone is rough on their bullets.

Someone would benefit from a live mentor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one gripe I have about the amax is the damn ballistic tip. man they're sensitive they always get banged up which kills your accuracy.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Too bad they don't have a version with an aluminum tip like the 50 Amax. They would look totally badass, I wonder how consistent they could be made... </div></div>
Bullettest2_13crop.jpg
Bwahahah!! Here's one. Sorry. Carry on.
Oh, and they can be very consistant, depending on how you manufacture them. Far more than the A-Max's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racerngr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24" barrel, 1 in 10 twist. How do I know if that will stabilize the bullet? </div></div>

Because we're telling you it will
smile.gif

you're in good hands with that twist.

208 amax is a great round. you will be pleased...

I'm working on a load myself, It's H4350 with lapua cases and 3.548 OAL with 208 amax. you won't get that COAL most likely though, my chamber was made for it (I determined that by checking the max allowable length I could insert in my mag)</div></div>

it would still be worth running the stability calculation on JBM for your atmospherics particularly if you are running a can. I have a similar set up and scared myself when I realised that in some conditions (particularly with temp sensitive RL17) things got very marginal. I did not want to lose the can downrange.

Here is a tip to preserve the Amax tip when pulling with a kinetic puller. Stuff the container with a good amount of cotton. The powder will get into it, but powder is much cheaper than the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Racerngr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I try the Varget powder or the R17 for this 208 Amax? </div></div>

You can get more than enough speed for 1000-1200 yds at sea level with Varget and the temp sensitivity will be an added bonus. RL17 will get you more speed but the SD/ES will not be stable.

What would be min figure using jbm stability calculator which would indicate probable stability, Trying to gauge if my 24in 1 in 11 twist Blaser 308 barrel will stablise the 208A-max and what would be min VL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you thought about the 178's? I shoot those out to 700 yards all the time. And they were designed for a 1:10 </div></div>
Maybe, but they(178HPBTs) stabilize fine in my 1 in 12 SPSS. And the 208s do also, well in a friends VTR they do anyways.
SPSS178HPBT.jpg

2011-10-04-61140.jpg