• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 20MM Rifle

fuzzyjoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2010
Georgia
www.navsoc.navy.mil
I ordered a 20mm rifle that should be here in about 6 to 9 weeks, will post pics of it when it comes and let you know how it goes. Here is where I got it from if anyone is interested. http://www.anzioironworks.com/index.html

49” match grade fluted barrel
Heavy duty clam-shell brake
Detachable box magazine
20mm,
Titanium firing pin
5000 yard maximum range

Re: 20MM Rifle

Is that a class 3 destructive device due to the size of the round? Also, where would you get ammo for that? Unless you live near a military base and have good friends in the ordnance department. Any idea on optics that can handle a cannon such as this one? That thing makes my Barrett look like a Red Rider.

All you need to do is fill out the P/W for it and pay a 200 dollar transfer fee. Unfortunatly so far the only place I have found to buy the ammo is from this guy on the website. And I was just told that it is gonna take about 2 months for it to get to me cause he has no barrels he has to make it. If you want more info call him the number is on the website.

Are you getting the 5th wheel mount?
That thing should be a blast to shoot. It would actually be pretty funny to post some 100yd groups on paper!

I've always wanted one- congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BEAR TACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on optics that can handle a cannon such as this one? That thing makes my Barrett look like a Red Rider. </div></div>

I think most optics rated for .50 cal's will do just fine. Go to his site, and watch the YouTube video shooting it suppressed. (never mind, I'll just post the link) The recoil is more of a shove than a kick. I imagine that the break will knock that recoil down plenty to be optic safe. However, on a monster like that, the USO SN-9 would be the only thing I would consider.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9NxHj1R04g"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9NxHj1R04g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

They always have one at the Knob Creek shoot. It is one hell of a beast. The thing I always noticed on it was you could see where the scope slides inside the rings so you might want to check with them and see what ring combo you will need to keep it from sliding.

Damn, that's big. I would hate to be near the blast without a suppressor. Just for curiosity, Chief, how much does it cost to buy one round, or reload one round?

I watched that video before I went to their page. They I realized that he was shooting at the range I do comps at. They're only a few minutes from my work I gotta stop by their shop and check this stuff out for sure. Congrats on the new rifle I'm sure it'll be a blast

Lol that things a monster! I cant even imagine what kind of damage that will do to an enemy. Put up a video of your first go at it, that will make the forum go wild. Got goosebumps from the photo.

OK problem 1 taken care of just problem 2 to go
smile.gif

problem 1 getting the Prairie dogs that wont come above ground.

problem 2 seeing said Prairie dogs.

have fun with is theres now way in hell thay would let us here have a toy like that we might have some fun.

A friend of a friend owns one of the first ones Anzio made, I got to shoot it while at the Knob Creek AR15.com shoot this fall. Unfortunately I was also the last one to shoot it since the muzzle brake blew itself to pieces. Found the top plate (1/4" stainless about 6"x4") probably 75yards behind us. You can actually see it come apart in the video below.

This gun is definitely a bad MFer. Weighs 135lbs! The bolt is my favorite part though, it is probably 2.5" in diameter haha.

Let me see if I can find the still shots I took of it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6trymD_zWQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6trymD_zWQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tIVWOnHTy0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tIVWOnHTy0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

url]

They really aren't bad to shoot with recoil similar to a "soft" .50 cal. The brake works well and the weight of the rifle damps the recoil a lot. Its not like shooting a .460 weatherby mag at all. You can use any scope that will handle a .50 or a high power magnum rifle. I've been shooting 20mm rifles for some time though mine are much older. I've got a Solothurn S18-1000 which fires the 20X138B. A belted cartridge used by many european countries in WWII for anti-tank rifles and also for anti-aircraft guns. The US 20X130 fires lighter projos at higher speeds so the recoil is similar. Reloading is the same as any other cartridge though the volume of powder and weight of components is much different. I'm loading about 550gr of powder in the solothurn ammo along with US 20mm M55 training projo's of 1550gr. That gets you about 2700fps. The vulcan round is about 3000fps with the same projo and 620gr of powder. There are a lot of 20mm shooters out there. Its not something you'll shoot a lot of ammo through but it does allow you to get out there a way's.

Frank

I wonder why it has a titanium firing pin. If they are notorious for being too weak for normal guns I wonder how they are expected to live in something that big.

This rifle is literally a cannon,how available is the ammo for it,and what type can you get ? I suppose the HE rounds would be out of question,but would be a real blast !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle is literally a cannon,how available is the ammo for it,and what type can you get ? I suppose the HE rounds would be out of question,but would be a real blast !!! </div></div>

Ammo is out there but mostly electric primed. The percussion primed ammo uses a larger than .50 cal primer and they are hard to find for reloading. There are a couple guys reworking the brass by swaging the primer pockets so .50 cal primers can be used.
Most of the ammo out there is M55 Training/practice projectiles which is 1550gr steel with an aluminum nose. The nose flashes bright when you hit hard targets. You can occasionally find ammo with the low drag tracer projo. That is a very long range trace. Occasionally Armor Piercing ammo can be had but its a tough one to find. For the most part you have to reload to get what you anything not T/P. As for HE rounds its possible to find them but finding someone who will sell you any is tough. Each round has to be registered just like the gun for civvie ownership. You pay a $200 tax on the transfer so add that $200 to whatever each round costs....not very reasonable to shoot. After watching a number of HE rounds fired its not that thrilling either....not $200 worth at least. The training/practice rounds are good enough for me.

Frank

My buddy's Anzio is at the ffl waiting for his paperwork to clear. Been on order for a year++, but he got it in on Christmas Eve (I think). He ordered a stainless barrel and and additional 20/50 barrel. With the can on, it almost touches an 8 ft ceiling.
shocked.gif

I'll get a pic of the loading press. With a 3 foot long arm, you get an even greater appreciation to how big the round is.
Here's some loaded ammo.

url]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hula</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're kidding. Right? LMAO </div></div>
Nope he spoke the facts.

Ballistics of the training projo's isn't too good due to the flat base and loose fit in the bore. The driving band seals and engages the rifling but the front end of the bullet has some slop in the bore. There are some good projos out there though. I made up a bunch of bore-rider boat-tailed 154gram (2650 grain) projos that were tack driving long rangers. Others have done some turned bronze too. I've not had any real problems with reloading. I use an RCBS AmmoMaster with the .50 setup. The dies are 1.5" dia and fit right in the top plate.
Here is a link to a pic of my 20mm toy along with some other swiss rifles....a SIG Stgw57 and an AMT
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/amafrank/swissrifles/3SwisssemisRR2.jpg

another shot here of a few rounds....starting with the little one on the right- .50 BMG, 14.5mm Russian 20X138B and 60mm mortar bomb. (not much good for sniping but fun to shoot in any case).

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/amafrank/Anti-tank%20rifles/1110081736a.jpg

Frank

14.5mm is a neat round and really really hot but while you can get a barrel chambered for the round finding the ammo to fill it is really tough. I had a 14.5mm PTRS Russian Anti-tank rifle for some time but ammo was always a problem. I've got about 60rds but at $30-50 per round its not very easy to light one up. There is no suitable powder in the US for reloading right now so while there is brass and primers could be adapted and bullets can be lathe turned, there is no powder. Experiments with 20mm powder have been mixed so I'll just stick with the 20mm and little stuff. I've got good load data, lots of components and powder is out there.

Frank

Congrats on the new rifle. I saw one of these a few years ago at KCR, instantly fell in love with it. Alas, it's way out of my price range.

I am truly impressed. Just thinking about shooting that rifle makes me smile. I need to make it to Knob Creek someday.

550-620gr of powder. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They really aren't bad to shoot with recoil similar to a "soft" .50 cal. The brake works well and the weight of the rifle damps the recoil a lot. Its not like shooting a .460 weatherby mag at all. You can use any scope that will handle a .50 or a high power magnum rifle. I've been shooting 20mm rifles for some time though mine are much older. I've got a Solothurn S18-1000 which fires the 20X138B. A belted cartridge used by many european countries in WWII for anti-tank rifles and also for anti-aircraft guns. The US 20X130 fires lighter projos at higher speeds so the recoil is similar. Reloading is the same as any other cartridge though the volume of powder and weight of components is much different. I'm loading about 550gr of powder in the solothurn ammo along with US 20mm M55 training projo's of 1550gr. That gets you about 2700fps. The vulcan round is about 3000fps with the same projo and 620gr of powder. There are a lot of 20mm shooters out there. Its not something you'll shoot a lot of ammo through but it does allow you to get out there a way's.

Frank </div></div>

I built my 50 and its a blast,looks like another project I'll have to build.Hmmm,there is a 30mm cannon barrel on Gunbroker.......