• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20moa base or normal moa base?

villhelm

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
oregon
whats the differnce between a 20moa base and a normal base? Could someone explain, im new to lr shooting and trying to setup a rem 700 w/ a Nf scope and trying to decide which base i should use ill probably be shooting from 300yards to 1000 and i'd like to know which will work better for this, thanks!

Re: 20moa base or normal moa base?

Get the 20Moa base it wont hurt.

Basically the base is machine with a taper (20 Moa) as opposed to being completely flat (no MOA).

If you were never intending to shoot beyond 500 i would say dont stress, but if you have the 20MOA base, it gives you more elevation adjustment to take your reticle out further.

There are basically two thing to consider here

1) how far you intend to shoot
2) how much available elevation adjustment the scope you intend to use has

Scopes that offer 100 or more MOA in elevation adjustments can often take most calibers out to 1000 yards with a flat base.

However a scope with only 50 MOA internal adjustment, on a flat scope base, wont take you there.

If you intend on buying a high end scope, in my opinion, you may as well get the 20MOA base. If you intend on getting a low-medium priced scope that offers less in the way of adjustments, get the 20MOA base and it should help you get to that 1000 yard mark

Just because you're new to LR I'll try to explain.

When you center you scope to lets say 100m on a flat base the reticle is in the middle of it's elevation level (as well as).
Shooting longer distances you have to compensate the bulletdrop. For this compensation you only have the half of your max. elevation of the scope because it's centered and you only make your clicks downwards.

If you have a 20MOA base you get this additional 20MOA for compensation. This never hurts like vman said.

Use a ballistic prog. to find out how much drop your caliber has on 1000m and see if your scope will have enough elevation level.

Chili

I just put a 20MOA base on my rifle and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. I had to aim low at 100m when trying to re-zero the scope. I had to put the first mil-dot above the cross hairs on the center of the target to hit the bull.

I use a Leupy Mark IV M3 LR/T. It got me to 1,000 yds yesterday with no problem. Smackin' a 10" steel plate at 1,020 yds.!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chili77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you center you scope to lets say 100m on a flat base the reticle is <span style="font-weight: bold">in the middle of it's elevation level...</span> </div></div>

This is something I've been curious about as well... My scope has 65 MOA max elevation adjustment... is it more or less safe to assume that at a 100m zero, I have approximately 32.5 MOA adjustment up or down to work with?

thanks for the info guys, makes sense now !

A 20 MOA base for shooting between 300 yards and 1000 yards would be just fine for almost all scopes out there. You might "bottom out" at 100 yards on some of the scopes that do not have a great elevation range.

Would go with 20 MOA scope.

With Nightforce 3.5-15x & 5.5-22x scopes you will have plenty of adjustment (100-110 MOA) to get out to 1000 yards, of course assuming appropriate caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volatile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... is it more or less safe to assume that at a 100m zero, I have approximately 32.5 MOA adjustment up or down to work with? </div></div>

Yes. It may be that it's 30/35, but it's approx. in the middle.

It's what you do when you try to mount a used scope if you have no info about it. You click all the way up (or down), count the clicks to the other side and click the half way back.
Example:
All the way up
65 MOA 1/4 clicks = 260 clicks down
130 clicks up
reticle is centered

On a flat base you should be lets say near the target at 100m.

Chili

Seems most of mine when I mount them up on a 0 MOA mount, they're on they wrong side of center.

Another trick to center a used scope is to set the objective end on a mirror whilst looking in the eye piece and you'll see two images of the reticle. Turn the knobs till they coincide and you're there. No more counting.

For best optical performance from your scope, you want to be looking dead-center through the tube. Looking through a scope when the elevation or windage is cranked near its limits is less than ideal. So, there is a practical limit to getting canted scope rails because they might cause you to zero your scope far away from that "dead-center" ideal. I think a 20MOA rail is a good compromise giving you the extra elevation needed for 800+ yards while not compromises short-range shooting by causing the elevation turret to be cranked far from center.