• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20moa Rings for AR10...Needed?

EagleI79

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
So with a AR10 20" barrel .308 just useing the mk4 rings for 30mm scopes when am I expected to run out of elevation? I noticed in one of the SH videos that a NightForce was used on an Ar10 w/16" barrel and only 39moa up got it to 1000yds. This is probley a stupid newby question but with bolt guns useing a 20moa base is so not to run out of MOA up, but why not on an Ar10? I know Night force makes one for ARs as one unit. Anyways I am dumb.

Re: 20moa Rings for AR10...Needed?

Not a dumb quesiton but I'm not sure I follow what you are asking. The title states rings and there are rings with offsets but the 20MOA cant typically comes from the base.

In the end, the base is to help you get additional elevation over what is available in your scope. If you have a scope with 100MOA (50 up and 50 down) and you are shooting 308 to 1000 yards then a flat base will get you there but many put on a sloped base in case they decide to shoot farther. If the scope only has 30MOA of vertical adjustment then you are going to need some extra to get out further. It doesn't matter whether it's a bolt, AR, or some other type of rifle. If the round has enough velocity to get out there you need to make sure you have enough elevation to sight it.