• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20N29

WSMBUCK

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
McCall Creek MS
Has anyone compared H50 BMG to Vihtavuori 20N29 as far as Speeds, Charge weights and Temp Stable .
I have heard the 20N29 was Temp Stable but no first hand experience with it.
Thanks for any help

Reactions: ScottYo308
I have done some work with 20N29 in my 375 Cheytac while using a 400 grain solid. As for temperature stability, I am not far enough along to give a accurate FPS/per degree of temperature change just yet.

I will, however, say that I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. 24N41’s accuracy mode for my setup was very narrow, and velocities averaged 3064. With 20N29 I have found the accuracy window, and it is where many find the cheytac to perform at its very best. The ES/SD’s of 20N29 are good. Case fill/case capacity is fairly close with 20N29 requiring maybe a grain more than my H50 bmg load.

I have enough H50 bmg to last me another year; so, I will continue using it until that well is dry. I found temperature stability on H50 bmg to be .8 FPS per degree of temperature change, and consider this to be extremely good compared to its RL50 brother.

Good luck and good shooting.
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
IG: ChrisSchmidt_elr

Sorry guys I am building a 338 Cheytac and will be running the 300 OTM Hybrids until Berger releases the 329 gr which they told me yesterday should be in 2019 so no telling.

Thanks for the info

Intentional thread resurrection here.

One upon a time nearly a decade ago I shot a good bit of 50 BMG. I exited the 50 caliber arena and sold all associated loading supplies (except for the press/dies) and then joined the CheyTac crowd.

Now having purchased another 50 BMG, I am getting back into loading for it. My only experience previously was with H50BMG. H50BMG is no longer being exported to the United States unfortunately.

I guess what I am getting at here is does anyone have any updated information concerning the comparison of H50BMG and either VV 20N29 OR VV 24N41? Secondarily, temperature and lot-to-lot stability would be excellent. I do have 16 pounds of 20N29 on-hand.

Even RL50 data/info would be nice. I have QuickLoad and I have ran the numbers but it's not pressure/velocity data that I am after. Plus, real-world experience is much more valuable generally.

Thanks in advance.

Intentional thread resurrection here.

One upon a time nearly a decade ago I shot a good bit of 50 BMG. I exited the 50 caliber arena and sold all associated loading supplies (except for the press/dies) and then joined the CheyTac crowd.

Now having purchased another 50 BMG, I am getting back into loading for it. My only experience previously was with H50BMG. H50BMG is no longer being exported to the United States unfortunately.

I guess what I am getting at here is does anyone have any updated information concerning the comparison of H50BMG and either VV 20N29 OR VV 24N41? Secondarily, temperature and lot-to-lot stability would be excellent. I do have 16 pounds of 20N29 on-hand.

Even RL50 data/info would be nice. I have QuickLoad and I have ran the numbers but it's not pressure/velocity data that I am after. Plus, real-world experience is much more valuable generally.

Thanks in advance.

Quick load is not correct for the large volume cases. It shows high pressure and low speed when the opposite is true.

Keep the 20n29 for the camp fire..

RL50 is good stuff. With 890gr solids I run 238gr RL50. With the 808 Lehigh you can push further north of that. If you’re running bullets lighter than 800gr in the 50 use H50bmg.

Reactions: AIAW
Quick load is not correct for the large volume cases. It shows high pressure and low speed when the opposite is true.

Keep the 20n29 for the camp fire..

RL50 is good stuff. With 890gr solids I run 238gr RL50. With the 808 Lehigh you can push further north of that. If you’re running bullets lighter than 800gr in the 50 use H50bmg.

I need to pick up some RL50. How temp stable is it do you know?

H50BMG is no more. Can’t be found and is no longer an option in the United States.

I need to pick up some RL50. How temp stable is it do you know?

H50BMG is no more. Can’t be found and is no longer an option in the United States.
I just saw an 8lb jug of BMG at out Sportsmans warehouse Fri afternoon.
I shot 20N29 in a 338 snipe tac yrs ago, recall 142 gr, 300 Berger, 3250fps. Same charge threw a 275gr Rocky Mtn aluminum tip at 3350fps, great bullet.
It was terrible as far as temp stability, BUT, I have read that baking loaded rds at 150 deg in your over irons this out. Do some research on accurate shooter, guy goes by LA50Shooter was the one who explained it to me, guy knows what he is talking about.

Campfire???? Hey

The nice part about 20n29 over H50 is more case fill ability when a person is struggling with a load and trying to achieve a fairly full case of powder. I tend to see a increase in speed and with less pressure over the H50. On my last configuration I have not shot it enough to have the temp swing pin pointed in the same location but so far I would put it in the same range as the H50 and you will be dang close to comparable impact swings as the 50 with temps. I have shot in many different temps but they were also in various parts of the US in which the DA was considerably different so a person shouldn’t base the speed change results on the Lab or Magneto speed because of the Hydraulics effect even within the barrel/bore. Accuracy wise, ES and down range grouping are all in the category of what folks hope for. Every rifle and or setup can react different.

Right now in my setup in which is a custom 416 round I am pushing a 500 gr at a easy - no stress to the brass 3220 fps with 201.1 grains of 20N29. I’m not saying that 20N29 is the golden powder it has done well in my 416 and two prior large case 375s.

One thing you could do is look up Dave Viers or Black Diamond Rifles - or the 338 Snipetac and read up on all the info. Its out there and you can see what powders worked and the ones that did not fair well. Back in the day his 338 Snipetac and 375 Snipetac were tack drivers. I know of a few 375 Snipetacs that get it done very well. Back in the day refers to he has been out of building rifles for a few years now due to health problems and set backs.

I have messed around with H50BMG, US869, RL50 and 20N29 they are all good powders in the right set up.

Good luck

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Good info, much appreciated. There is just something about putting 50 BMG rounds in an over that feels... interesting, hehe. I did read that some FCSA shooters will keep them in a container @ around 115F, single feeding of course to keep the temp stable.

Looking over my previous data: LC brass, 219g of H50 was pushing CE 762g MTAC’s at 2601 FPS. Relatively "short" 27-inch barrel on the McMillan TAC-50. A tad faster on the AW50 @ 2619 FPS. Will probably have a 34" barrel spun up for this rifle. Never really got around to testing temp stability back then.

I will definitely run the VV 20N29, but I think I’ll try some RL50 in order to make a comparison and see what the "new" rifle likes.

Good info, much appreciated. There is just something about putting 50 BMG rounds in an over that feels... interesting, hehe. I did read that some FCSA shooters will keep them in a container @ around 115F, single feeding of course to keep the temp stable.

Looking over my previous data: LC brass, 219g of H50 was pushing CE 762g MTAC’s at 2601 FPS. Relatively "short" 27-inch barrel on the McMillan TAC-50. A tad faster on the AW50 @ 2619 FPS. Will probably have a 34" barrel spun up for this rifle. Never really got around to testing temp stability back then.

I will definitely run the VV 20N29, but I think I’ll try some RL50 in order to make a comparison and see what the "new" rifle likes.

I’ve dicked around heating ammo to run 20n29, it works. Why deal with it when there’s RL-50..? The paperwork below states Rl-50 it’s pretty consistent. 890gr bullets in the hunter gun and 898gr Lehighs in the heavy gun with a wore out barrel.

Attachments

• FC3C3156-A385-4BB1-81B7-1ECBA34A8FDA.jpeg
    FC3C3156-A385-4BB1-81B7-1ECBA34A8FDA.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 157
I’ve dicked around heating ammo to run 20n29, it works. Why deal with it when there’s RL-50..? The paperwork below states Rl-50 it’s pretty consistent. 890gr bullets in the hunter gun and 898gr Lehighs in the heavy gun with a wore out barrel.

Nice. Speaking to velocity, it will be interesting to see if it makes a huge difference out of a 27” though. In the world of BMG, 27 inches is almost a SBR. Understandable given the models military purpose vs. portability in it’s role. Pressure curve looks very similar and neither are burning completely out of a 27”.

All theoretical of course at this point since I can I have no real world data, but RL50 does appear to have an edge in consistency and speed on 34-inch plus tubes. I did real a lot of people mimicking what you said in that RL50 is “good stuff”.

What length were you running with RL50?

Last edited:
Since when did H50bmg get cut off from import? There was just a big shipment last month to all the distribution here in the US.

Nope, that’s me. They had a change of heart late summer. Brought it back. Thought you saw this pic
02FD5485-3A55-414B-8D67-77D83995CF6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice. Speaking to velocity, it will be interesting to see if it makes a huge difference out of a 27” though. In the world of BMG, 27 inches is almost a SBR. Understandable given the models military purpose vs. portability in it’s role. Pressure curve looks very similar and neither are burning completely out of a 27”.

All theoretical of course at this point since I can I have no real world data, but RL50 does appear to have an edge in consistency and speed on 34-inch plus tubes. I did real a lot of people mimicking what you said in that RL50 is “good stuff”.

What length were you running with RL50?

34” on the bench gun and 38.5 on the hunter gun..

Geno is correct. H50 Is back for a couple months now.

Damn. I’m glad it’s back. I even Google searched for “H50 coming back” before I posted originally. Not sure why I missed Geno’s post about it being back.

I won’t be going through there until the Wednesday before thanksgiving. Looks like I better swing by

I won’t be going through there until the Wednesday before thanksgiving. Looks like I better swing by

Buy it, divide it up into 1-pound containers and stuff it inside of a bunch of Winnie the Pooh animals. I'll cover the stuffed animals, powder and shipping ?

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
Buy it, divide it up into 1-pound containers and stuff it inside of a bunch of Winnie the Pooh animals. I'll cover the stuffed animals, powder and shipping ?

I have 3 8lb jugs of it I’ll most likely never use. Where you at? Lol.

I have 3 8lb jugs of it I’ll most likely never use. Where you at? Lol.

Austin, Texas. Just discovered that a buddy of mine has 8 lbs. of H50 that he is going to trade me for 8 lbs. of Varget that I have. I have 8 lbs. of RL50 coming along with the 16 lbs. of 20N29. Doing ok probably until H50 comes back around I suppose!

Wish there was an easy way to ship powders/primers - I'd buy those from you if I was local!

Austin, Texas. Just discovered that a buddy of mine has 8 lbs. of H50 that he is going to trade me for 8 lbs. of Varget that I have. I have 8 lbs. of RL50 coming along with the 16 lbs. of 20N29. Doing ok probably until H50 comes back around I suppose!

Wish there was an easy way to ship powders/primers - I'd buy those from you if I was local!

No worries i woulda thrown it in the truck with Geno if he was heading your way and you wanted it. You find a good Carnie they will move anything for the right price! Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C. and AIAW