• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 210 Berger results 2014

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I must admit that after numerous failures with the 168 & 180 7mm Bergers that we did find success in the 30 cal 210 hunting VLD.
I've read on countless posts from people who've had great success. I was never one of them until 2014.

I set out to test this bullet up close and if possible at distance. I've got a few photos that show what seems to be typical at 300 yards and in.
Our base line for testing over the years has always been a broadside center shoulder hit.

This was a high shoulder shot at 170 yards. The bullet did not exit and obviously the deer didn't go anywhere without a spinal cord.
The tissue damage surprisingly wasn't as bad as I expected. I noticed a lack of blood shot tissue that you typically see with a ballistic tip or Amax.
I also expected a pass through and was almost shocked to find out that it didn't.

Just fast forward to the end for the kill shot:
2013 Whitetail Pursuit - YouTube

My wife shot this deer at 285 yards. The results were similar but the shot placement was more in line with our base line for testing. I should probably let her pull the trigger more often…….

This photo does reveal more tissue damage than #1 but still lacking in the total destruction dept. Never the less the results where perfect and will be on the wall next year.
I'm trying to get the video up but since google and youtube linked up there have bee issues.

This one was just a victim………….
Sorry no disection photos………

This doe was shot with a 185g by a friend of mine. While this wasn't the norm it was a good example of what could happen with they hit bone on the first part of the entrance.
No dissection required

My over all opinion at the end is that, at least this bullet, is what Berger says it is. We never missed bone so I didn't get to see what happens in that scenario but none of the deer made it through this test.
As a matter of fact the only deer that did take a step was one shot at 1000 yards on the dot. Some how two bags of corn got spilled on the 1000 yard berm. She made it about 150 yards in the brush. The damage was consistent. If they hit bone absolutely crush it. Hopefully with more testing we'll get to see a few more variables but it looks like it's going to be next year before that happens.

I think these would be really good elk bullets but I was too scared from previous experiences to try them out on something that large for their first rodeo in my hands.

I smacked a doe with a 130g Berger VLD out of my 6.5x47, and the blood trail was unbelievable. Devastating damage.

What results did you have with the 168 and 180 bergers ? What caliber were they shot out of?
Thanks
Joe

Awesome videos Jered, great shooting on both accounts. So far my results mirror yours with the Bergers. Running 105gr Hunting VLDs at 2700fps and both the deer i've shot with them ran 150-200yds despite having large exit wounds for a .243 and plenty of blood on well placed shots.

So for the VLDs it's more advantageous to shoot bone? Both deer i shot were at 280-300yds and i was just shooting behind the shoulder to see how they reacted with a normal shot. Might go to double shoulder if it's better to break them down with these bullets.

Last edited:
All of the below shot with 155gr VLDs launched at about 2880.

50 meters through the heart, DRT.

IMG_0178_zps27c3dd67.jpg

77 Meters, neck shot, DRT.

IMG_0177_zps77c4e81b.jpg

129 meters straight through the chest as she faced me, ran about 30 yards.

IMG_0176_zpsa955cff2.jpg

John

The 168 are older bullets but Orange box bullets. The 180's were target bullets. The 168's were shot out o 284 win and the 180's out of a 7 WSM. All we can figure is that they pin holed through the deer.
We never recovered one so I can't tell you what happened but I've personally witnessed 7 of them. That's why i was really skeptical. These seem to work fine.

The 168 are older bullets but Orange box bullets. The 180's were target bullets. The 168's were shot out o 284 win and the 180's out of a 7 WSM. All we can figure is that they pin holed through the deer.
We never recovered one so I can't tell you what happened but I've personally witnessed 7 of them. That's why i was really skeptical. These seem to work fine.

I have had excellent results with the 168vld (orange box) out of my 7 WSM on 2 whitetail, 1 mulie, 1 axis, 1 coyote and most recently an aoudad. Ranges from 27 yds to 250.
I credit the overall performance to the ding dong from GA that screwed the gun together. It hammers.