• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

210 Berger VLDs in a .1-10 twist 308

CavTrooper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2007
SoCal
Looking for info from anyone who has used the 210gr Berger VLD in the .308? Ill be shooting the stock Savage 10FP with a 1-10 twist barrel. Doing some research the Berger site shows the reccomended twist rate for their bullets gets faster the heavier the bullets go. Im hoping to push the 210gr VLDs out to 1000 yards but am concerned with being able to get the velocity with the longer/heavier bullet.

Any input, reccomendations, experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: 210 Berger VLDs in a .1-10 twist 308

Many on here are shooting the 208/210 grainers in 1-11" and 1-12" barrels, including myself.

Get some VV N550, WW760 or RL-17 and you'll be able to get them up to 2500 fps or more. They work well out to 1k and beyond, depending on your elevation.

What has a better "true" BC, the 210gr Berger or Sierra? I see what they are advertised at, .645 for the SMK and .616. for the Berger.

They are different bullets. BC numbers can be misleading. The Berger is a VLD.

Even with BC numbers generated in in the same manner, BC is not the lone deciding factor. BC must be used with velocity to be of any value, and seating depth plays a roll in this.

For example, if you're comparing the 210 Berger BT to the 210 Berger VLD, the BC's are identical. However, the BT can be seated out 0.100" farther than the VLD due to the profile. This added case capacity means you should be able to achieve a higher velocity with it, which means that it should have better ballistics than the VLD when both are loaded to their maximum.

Berger readily admits that the 208 AMAX has a higher BC than both thier 210's. However, by my estimation, the 210 BT can be seated out nearly 0.200" farther than the AMAX. This is something I want to explore with the 210's. I'm just waiting on my bullets from Berger.