• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

210 SMK's for 300WM , what am I missing?

canuckistaninia

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
So I'm starting to get in to the 300WM reloading game. I've scoured the net, and it looks like the 210Gr SMK gets very little love for the 300WM and I'm wondering why that is. No one seems to sayany negative about it, they just don't use it. It has a what looks like a good BC at .670 (G1). It's available in stores near me and Sierra typically has a fairly loyal following. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people don't seem interested in the bullet, but I'm trying to educate myself before I beat my heat against a wall. Is it related to the fact that it is a secant Ogive where most SMK's are tangent?

i dont use it because there are higher bc, better quality bullets available for the same price or less.

So what would you recommend? for a higher bc, better quality bullets that is available for the same price?

Hornady 208gr eld?

I would use Litz' Doppler-confirmed BC for the 210 SMK: 0.610. Compare that to the Litz BC of 0.691 for the 215 Berger Hybrid. The Berger's higher BC and shorter bearing surface length mean the SMK is at both a BC and velocity disadvantage.

in my neck of the woods, the hornady's are alot cheaper then the bergers, Maybe I'll track down a box of the 208 eld-m and see what I can do with them.

i would also try the 225 eld hornady, pretty high bc they are advertising. i shoot alot of the 208 amax and hpbt, havent tried the eld yet.