• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 215 Berger Hybrid for hunting?

CrabsandFootball

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Has anyone used the 215 on Elk, Mulies or Bear. Looking for a new load and tinkering with the idea of the 215 loaded over RL26 (Have a huge stash). I am just worried about the terminal performance of the bullet on big game. The added benefit is this I could consolidate my 300WM load down to 1 for all uses.

Thanks,

There is a huge thread on longrangehunting.com about this bullet and it's effects on game. "BROZ" is some sort of a self-proclaimed expert on the bullet but he does have a lot of documented kills with the 215 Hybrid.

I've used the bullet for two cow elk kills and it's worked very well when placed just behind the shoulder (no shoulder blade). Both cows hunched up, wobbled, then tipped over dead. Range was 280 yards and 447 yards at MV 2817 fps. YMMV.......

Good to Know. Berger also sells factory ammo with the projectile which would be an added bonus. Just cant find it in stock anywhere.

Last edited:
The 215 berger is an absolute hammer on elk. I switched from 200gr accubonds to 215s years ago for my win mags and now PRCs. No complaints.

Reactions: DIBBS
We just used the 215 on a big muley buck at 960 yards. I made a bad wind call and the shot was back of the diaphram the bullet saved us and the buck expired quickly due to the fragmenting characteristics of the bullet. Great bullet for long range.

Reactions: Awesymoto
I’m going to try the Berger loaded ammo. I had just been checking all the online stores everyday and one night there it was in stock. Ordered 200 rounds. Hopefully my rifle likes it. In stock didn’t last 24 hours but it does pop up. Just have to keep checking and when it’s there buy it.

The 215 wrecks elk. We have killed bulls from 80 yards to a loooooong ways out with them with zero complaints. I just killed a bull last week with one as a matter of fact. Even on the closer range stuff they still work well. I trust them enough I used them on a moose hunt and they kill moose just like they kill elk. I want to try the new 205 but I have a hard time breaking away from the 215.

Reactions: chevy327
I used the Berger loaded ammo last year on my deer. 216 yard shot on him and he didn’t take another step. The bullet did exactly what it was supposed to do. Only bad thing was the blood shot. Lost a bit of meat off the buck.
BE830D8D-264A-4724-AEEE-7FCF54D00347.jpeg

Reactions: Awesymoto
I havent used the 215gr, but I run the 230gr Hybrid in my 300 Norma, and its a fantastic elk bullet.

It has performed perfectly 3 for 3.

Have used the 130g ar hybrid, 140gr vld, 215gr, and 300gr all have performed excellent with one shot kills.

I use the 215 hybrid in a 300 win mag and have killed 2 mule deer bucks with them so far. 1 was at 970 yards and the other was 163 yards. Both worked perfectly.
Probably the most devastating thing I have ever seen hit game. They are incredible.

Reactions: ghostmoney
Used 6 5 140 hybrids on pigs . They don't go far. Very effective. Used the 180 hybrids in 7 saum . Put a buck down this year ,only at 100 yards but he tip right over

I have shot the 215 in my 300PRC and now the 230, bang flops out to 889yds from 'yotes to cow elk.

My 300WM gets a steady diet of 215 Berger ammo and has racked up a surprising amount of tasty animals!

I have shot the 215 in my 300PRC and now the 230, bang flops out to 889yds from 'yotes to cow elk.

My 300WM gets a steady diet of 215 Berger ammo and has racked up a surprising amount of tasty animals!
What sort of velocity are you getting with the 230's in your prc?
I had a 215 pencil through a bull last year, guess its important to run a tiny drill into the tips to keep expansion reliable

What sort of velocity are you getting with the 230's in your prc?
I had a 215 pencil through a bull last year, guess its important to run a tiny drill into the tips to keep expansion reliable
So it killed him and u found this out ? Second shoot required?

That sucks
Yeah in all fairness I looked through my box of bullets later and about 1/3 had there tips mashed shut or deformed.
Shot 2 was far back cuz the bull moved after the first penciled through and it straight up took him down
Shot 3 totally flattened him

Reactions: Jabot
Just to clarify, is this the 215 hybrid target bullet?

100ct part no. 30429?

We took two cows this week with 215 hybrids at 3000fps in my 300wm. One at 763 yards and the other at 753. Double lunged both. This one was slightly quartering towards me so the exit wound is farther back. The first lung was punctured and the second side was tore to shit. I could fit my hand in the exit wound. It was a fucking blood bath.
20231109_095917.jpg
20231109_100108.jpg
20231109_105333.jpg

I cant speak to the 215, but I've taken elk with both the 220gr and the 230gr Berger Hybrid target (not the OTM) and they perform fantastic.

I am using the 220gr currently and will probably stick with it instead of the 230gr.

I cant speak to the 215, but I've taken elk with both the 220gr and the 230gr Berger Hybrid target (not the OTM) and they perform fantastic.

I am using the 220gr currently and will probably stick with it instead of the 230gr.

Is that the 220 LRHT? I have googled LRHT terminal performance and most guys saying It’s the same kind of results and that the closed tips don’t matter. Seems like the nose is shearing or caving and then the damage ensues. I’d assume you agree?

Thanks!!

Is that the 220 LRHT? I have googled LRHT terminal performance and most guys saying It’s the same kind of results and that the closed tips don’t matter. Seems like the nose is shearing or caving and then the damage ensues. I’d assume you agree?

Thanks!!
Yes, it's the LRHT. And I do agree. Performance in the body cavity is very good.

Reactions: Conrad
Shot my custom 7 Rem Mag yesterday at 1015 yards. I was using the180gr Berger LRHT. Damn thing smoked right through a brand new 1/4 steel plate. Shocked and pissed off at the same time!

Shot my custom 7 Rem Mag yesterday at 1015 yards. I was using the180gr Berger LRHT. Damn thing smoked right through a brand new 1/4 steel plate. Shocked and pissed off at the same time!
Do you mean a 190 LRHT? Guess your steel wasn’t AR500 either….

Reactions: Birddog6424
Yea just mild steel. My buddies 6.5 Creedmoore barley dented it at that distance. I was kind surprised. I was using these bullets:

1699905182956.png

Guess these are not "LR". Sorry about that.

Two elk, bear and several deer, all DRT. 18-465 yards. Cant say enough good things about the 215.

I've shot a bunch of large pigs with them... 300-400 lbers. I've never had an exit wound.

Typically recover some jacket and 80-100 grains of lead from a cavity full of soup/paste. The trauma is pretty explosive.

Everything I've shot with it dropped like it was hit by lightning between 300-700 yds. Admittedly not nearly as large as an elk, but substantially more durable than deer.

I send them at about 2900 out of my 300wm on top of h1000