• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 Accuracy problem Savage/Marlin

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
One of my recent (no reason just fun) projects was to fit a standard 22" Savage sporter weight barrel on my Marlin XL.
Thoughtfully, Marlin stole every good feature out there, including the same barrel and barrel nut size/threads as Savage.
20 minutes with a barrel vise, headspace gauge and nut wrench, and you can convert. I picked up the Savage barrel here (a take off) and it shot okay (1-1.5" w/old WW factory ammo) but had a rough area about 2" in front of the leade. NECO fire lapping cured that. I bought a box of Rem 50 gr HP 22-250 el cheapo ($14.00) gray/green box ammo. My first 3 shot group was a 40 caliber hole. The rest of the box was good for 3/4"-1" groups, as has been every bullet (40-55 gr) and hand load tried since then (4064, TAC, Bl-C2 & 3031). The bedding was fixed as a 270 (sub MOA groups with every handload) and three different scopes have been on it.
Savage website says 1 in 12" so heavier bullets are out.
Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

Re: 22-250 Accuracy problem Savage/Marlin

Probably just the barrel. I had similar results with two barrels, one a Savage, and one a Winchester. The Neco kit, while it smoothed the rough spots, enlarged and moved the throat way ahead. Accuracy was NOT improved. Your results may be the reason that barrel was removed and sold to begin with. JMHO

IME the NECO kit will move the throat when used with LEAD bullets.(Says so in the instructions)
Used with jacketed, does not. My Stoney Point OAL gauge reads the same, before and after lapping.
May just be a "not so good barrel", although Savage's are usually tack drivers.

That is strange to have a ragged hole and then 1' groups. Has all that lapping shit been scrubbed out of the barrel? If it won't shoot good hand loads better then 1" I would start over. It's hard to own things that are not accurate when you are used to tack drivers. Well, It's hard for me anyway. I would make sure that all the copper was removed as well. Just because it came from the hide doesn't mean the guy knew anything about copper fouling. If it isn't copper/lapping compound It is tough to say with out a hawkeye borescope, Jeff

So you put a Savage barrel on a Marlin and it doesn't shoot very well? Maybe a Marlin barrel would shoot better?

Perhaps a close exam of the crown might uncover an underlying accuracy issue. In my limited experience, Savage barrels that are not shot out, but also have accuracy issues, would usually benefit from a crown exam.

Greg

Greg, thanks, good idea, it's far from "shot out", in fact when I got it, it had no fouling at all, so I'm guessing it was a takeoff. Going down an get out my Brownell's crowning tool right now.

858 you have been reported as a stalker and post chaser. Too bad you can't listen when advised to stop this chidish crap. Just FYI, my child, Marlin & Savage are using the same method, thread specs, barrel nut etc to attach barrels. If you could read, you could learn.

dh6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just FYI, my child, Marlin & Savage are using the same method, thread specs, barrel nut etc to attach barrels. If you could read, you could learn.</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1261258&#Post1261258

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only issue is headspacing as the Marlin bolt lugs are larger (front to back) than the Savage. Some folks who don't intend to ever use the Marlin barrel again are facing off the bolt a bit, but I think facing off the chamber end of the barrel is better (we are only talking a few thou here). </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Latest up date: Just put a Savage takeoff 22-250 barrel I bought on the Hide on my Marlin. Got the barrel vise & Savage/Marlin nut wrench from Brownells. Used a new factory 22-250 as a "headspace gauge. Test fired it and case meets all factory specs and extracted and ejected perfectly. Whole job (first time) took 45 minutes.The "facing off" talked about elsewhere is unnecessary. I have seen the future and it does not require a lathe!</div></div>

Maybe your accuracy stems from the Savage barrel being different than the Marlin barrel and you didn't install the barrel correctly? You've clearly modified the rifle incorrectly or the cheap take off parts you used are mediocre at best.

I don't think the reloading forum is the correct place for this thread, Gunsmithing would probably be more appropriate.

Humble,
I am offering this post very sincerely for your safety.
The picture below shows some significant cratering around the primer. The edge of the primer appears rounded,there is no ejector mark, and you say it opens without heavy bolt lift, so it would appear that the round is not exhibiting other high pressure signs. The primer cratering along with the degrading accuracy makes me wonder if you have excessive headspace.
You might want to have an experienced smith check it with some real headspace gauges.
Just a fwiw.
Jeff
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used a new factory 22-250 as a "headspace gauge. Test fired it and case meets all factory specs and extracted and ejected perfectly.
22-250head.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Humble,
I am offering this post very sincerely for your safety.
The picture below shows some significant cratering around the primer. The edge of the primer appears rounded,there is no ejector mark, and you say it opens without heavy bolt lift, so it would appear that the round is not exhibiting other high pressure signs. The primer cratering along with the degrading accuracy makes me wonder if you have excessive headspace.
You might want to have an experienced smith check it with some real headspace gauges.
Just a fwiw.
Jeff
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used a new factory 22-250 as a "headspace gauge. Test fired it and case meets all factory specs and extracted and ejected perfectly.
22-250head.jpg

</div></div> </div></div>

Pictures would probably help, I don't think Humble will get it otherwise.

6p2e5s.jpg

Boys will be boys. I've never seen an ejector mark on any round fired from a bolt gun that falls within pressure specs. You guys are spending too much time with ARs.
The cases in question have been reloaded 8 times now, given the paperclip check and measured to the shoulder/neck junction with tools you boys don't even have. Guess what? right on spec with a new case. The initial thought on facing off the bolt or barrel was not necessary in this application, might be with some, I don't know and neither or you certainly don't either.
Just as an FYI, a new factory round has to have at least the same dimensions as a Go Gauge and probably most are as a Min gauge. Why (DUH) because they have to chamber in any factory rifle, even the one that was cut with the almost worn out reamer
(that makes for a small chamber).
Perhaps if you spent some time reading, might I suggest Gunsmithing by Roy Dunlap, you might be able to make a real contribution rather than being attack Yorkies, following my posts around to deal in insults and incorrect platitudes.
Your concerns about excess headspace are only an issue if weak case factory ammo or fully full length sized brass is used. Even in a factory chamber, folks who FL size all the way will find brass developing a pressure ring and failing the paperclip test after a few reloads. It's called the stretch and shrink cycle.
Back in the day, when the 25-06 was still a wildcat, four of us had one. All were made by different smiths with different reamers and none of the ammo would interchange. All were built on coned breech actions and none ever blew up. Why? because the cases were fireformed to the particular chamber the first firing by using the false shoulder method, and then NEVER run all the way into a FL die ever. No stretch, no case failure...handloading 101. They might all have had excess headspace when measured with a current 25-06 Remington Gauge but it was no issue because there was no 25-06 Remington. Now if you can shop up a copy of Handloading by Phil Sharpe, you might be able to learn something about the subject.
I just got a bunch of once fired 22-250 cases from a nice guy here on the Hide, that were used in pressure testing. They were factory WRA 22-250 loads. Guess what? They all chamber in the Marlin/Savage with just a hint of closing pressure. Hardly excess headspace!
Finally primer reading is pure BS as different brands have different hardness and the firing pin size vs the hole in the bolt face can create "catering" with pooper loads.
If the primer pocket gets loose after one reload, if the "belt" (not belt as in Magnums) expands more than a factory load, if the primer blows out, you have to open the bolt with a hammer or you have to knock the case out with a rod, then you have reason to think your load is too hot. The rest is mumbo jumbo BS.
Get a subscription to Handloader and stop listening to the "experts" on the net.
And finally 858, The OP gets to decide where to put his post not you. The issue might be loading and it might be a gunsmithing issue. If you are so concerned, then quit dogging my posts and you won't have to suffer through all my horrible errors of thread selection.
It sure would save a lot of time going through your rerun old posts with nothing new to offer.
When you have been handloading 50+ years with no mishaps, then you can presume to give advice to those who have.

Humble,
It was just a friendly suggestion.

Since I pay for Social Security and Medicaid I fell like I have a vested interest in Humble not blowing off his face.

Humble, please post pictures of the brass (not just the primers). I don't think your accuracy issues are reloading related (though you did short cut correctly headspacing the rifle so you may have shortcut correctly reloading the ammo).

Pictures of the brass will tell you nothing. (unless you know a way to create a 3 dimensional, measurable hologram from a 72 dpi picture.) I already told you how it measured and that is ALL that counts. Accuracy has nothing, nada, zero to do with headspacing as long as the brass is fireformed to the chamber.(it is). If you don't know what the hierarchy of reloading variables are well.....
headspace is not one.
While your concern for my well being is appreciated, your suggestions are of no value. We'll see tomorrow if the recrown helps, if not, probably just a bum barrel as my Tikka 22-250 turns out groups like this every time loaded with the same components on the same equipment and shot by the same guy.
BTW the brass shot in the Savage chambers easily in the Tikka....guess it has bad headspace as well.......
22250group.jpg

Jeff,

He's an arrogant fuck headed down a road to injury.

He never said he bore scoped it.. or let me rephrase that ..told us how he determined the rough spot in the barrel. Probably his over super specialized patches he designed when he was the first 4 ever to have a 25-06.

This thread is in the wrong place too. Obviously he can't read or legitimize logical post placing. Which makes me wonder how accurate his other observation are.

I've never heard of too many people actually going ahead and doing the barrel manufacturer switch. Logical thinking tells you it a bad idea regardless of the ability to do so.

My guess is he bought into the fire lapping and fucked up the barrel. Not to mention he bought a second hand barrel as a take off. There are reasons people do that. Like it sucked to begin with. He's got so many tools we don't so I imagine he has them to check how true the bore is. Possibly how aligned the chamber is with the center of the bore as well.

Hell with al those tools he has and we don't why the hell is he posting here? He should already have his answers.

Don't bother helping or giving advice. He'll just shit on you. Cause he already has the answers and this post is just a way for him to reiterate his ignorant ego.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's got so many tools we don't so I imagine he has them to check how true the bore is.</div></div>

Maybe he can whittle out some headspace gages with all of those tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least I can go to Cody......... </div></div>

dipshit.

I just got back from there... where were ya?

I had to relay information to my buddy in the G&F department. He was curiously interested in your admission of breaking game laws.

I thought I was on ignore? You're pathologically hypocritical!

I was talking to Jeff anyway. Who was nice enough to try to look out for your safety.

He doesn't have the wherewithal to widdle. That's much to simple for him and his "better than any smith out there tools".

Just because I have you sleeping bag buddies on ignore, doesn't prevent me from getting a laugh over your drivel.
10 dipwads out of 20,000.... I guess that's better than the odds of shooting an Elk on a golf course.

I'm curious.
Just exactly where is this golf course I outfitted on?

Better yet what is the name?

Even better, what nat'l forest and wilderness is it located in.

as you know you only need and outfitter for Wilderness or if you cannot handle the feat yourself. (like cough youcough cough )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least I can go to Cody......... </div></div>

NEENER NEENER NEENER! You sound like a kid on a grade school playground.

So, you tried your 'experiment' and it doesn't shoot. BOSS brake time? Just a thought....

As an aside: slightly excessive headspace (within the tolerance on a GO gauge) is not really an issue as long as you know you have it. FF and size accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...as long as you know...</div></div>

The problem is that he knows so much that he doesn't know anything.

-Whats the exact headspace?
-How much clearance between the bolt nose and the breach face?
-Whats the case runout?
-What do the reloads chrono?
-ES?
-SD?
-Is the rifle stock bedded?
-How many rounds does the barrel have through it?
-Did it shoot prior to putting it in the wrong manufacturers receiver and stock?
-Etc
-Etc

You get the drift. Its a total waste of time trying to diagnose Humble's franken rifle knowing he did everything as wrong as he possibly could.

I haven't forgotten, he sent me a half dozen PM's reminding me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+10

But how easily you forget. He has tools no one else does. SO he's way ahead of us on this. </div></div>

Well lets wrap this up with Kudos to Greg for identifying the problem and fix. In spite of not knowing how to set headspace, how to reload and generally being a senile old fool (in the eyes of some "EXPERTS"), I took the rifle up to the range today and dropped these FIVE into the group shown at 100 yards. The one @ 3 o'clock was #1 from a cold barrel.
So I guess the old fool, with some help from a real shooter, was able to get his improperly headspaced Marlin/Savage to shoot pretty well even with stretched cases and junk handloads. Did I mention this group was shot with those worthless Barnes bullets? Well it was LMAO!
The nice thing about fools, like the IGNORE group, is that they never know when to quit and always end up with "foot in mouth ites".
I eagerly await the next pearls of wisdom to drop before me from them. (Hard to type I am laughing so hard.)
So we say goodbye to this thread as the issue has been fixed and the rifle is ready for Yote hunting. Thanks again Greg!
22250grp.jpg

So it wasn't a reloading issue after all? Imagine that.

Lets see the whole target by the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well lets wrap this up with Kudos to Greg for identifying the problem and fix. In spite of not knowing how to set headspace, how to reload and generally being a senile old fool (in the eyes of some "EXPERTS"), I took the rifle up to the range today and dropped these FIVE into the group shown at 100 yards. The one @ 3 o'clock was #1 from a cold barrel.
So I guess the old fool, with some help from a real shooter, was able to get his improperly headspaced Marlin/Savage to shoot pretty well even with stretched cases and junk handloads. Did I mention this group was shot with those worthless Barnes bullets? Well it was LMAO!
The nice thing about fools, like the IGNORE group, is that they never know when to quit and always end up with "foot in mouth ites".
I eagerly await the next pearls of wisdom to drop before me from them. (Hard to type I am laughing so hard.)
So we say goodbye to this thread as the issue has been fixed and the rifle is ready for Yote hunting. Thanks again Greg!
22250grp.jpg

</div></div>

Bullshit... where's the 5th bullet hole? Better learn how to use photoshop a bit better.

Too funny, I knew the dipwads couldn't not run their pieholes.

858 you seem to think you have the power to demand others to do what you want. Sorry, you want to see the whole target, well it's up on the wall in my reloading room. Next time you're here drop by and you can see it.

WEDA, are you really so DUMB as to think this was photoshopped?
Ever been to a benrchrest match? Do you know how they ensure the shot count? If you did, then you would know that 4 shots in one hole is hardly unique, but then you have not, so you don't.

It is so entertaining to watch you few fools continue to make asses of yourselves over and over. The almost complete lack of comprehensive shooting knowledge is hard to believe in this day and age, given the resources available....oh but I forgot you don't read......

The problem is fixed, you were wrong about:
headspacing
Savage barrels
my reloading skills
thinking all 5 shots on a given target can be counted
Barnes bullets
the interchagability of Savage & Marlin barrels
and oh so much more.

Adios to this thread as: question posed and accurate answer given. No need to listen to more drivel.

Have I ever been to a bench rest match.. umm no...

I'm a member of the NBRSA for shits and giggles...

You are right 4 into 1 hole is not unique at BR matches but you are no BR shooter and neither is that rifle, asshat.

the stitching behind your holes doesn't match up.

I highly doubt that rifle put 4 into 1 hole as fucked up as it was. Maybe at 25 yards.

I still call bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next time you're here drop by and you can see it.</div></div>

I feel left out
grin.gif

Stitching seems to match up from where I'm looking. It's incredible how people seem to NEED to pick a fight over something like this.

I'd like to try this project for myself just to see how it goes, but I have other plans in the mean time. Honestly, I don't see the point at either end why arguing over it does anything.

If the target was photoshopped, shame on Humble. If it wasn', and I don't see the "mismatch" that was mention, then this is great news that such a project can be undertaken and be successful.

So far in this thread, I've seen someone who experimented on a budget, posted "hey, this is what I found" and it was encouraging. I don't think anywhere was it said "here's the new solution to winning 1k BR matches" just that it was a convenient cheap way to do things.

Damn, this bickering gets fuckin' old. If you don't think it's possible to replicate what was shown, then by all means go do the same thing yourself and prove him wrong. Otherwise, let the YMMV comment ring true and just shut up... all of you.

Not everyone has the money for 6 GAP rifles with dedicated S&B scopes and 10000 pieces of brass to sort down to 600 "match" ones. Being able to have a switch barrel rifle without paying for a gunsmith to put $600+ of work into it means that someone like a college kid can put $800 into a project and have a 30-06 and a 22-250 so they can shoot deer or ground hogs. Just because it isn't high dollar, ultimate precision, and tacticool doesn't mean it can't have merit.

Kudos acknowledged. It just seemed the most logical approach given the evidence at hand.

I have expressed my concerns about the Savage/Marlin hybridization. The only issue I see might be about the protrusion measurement, which Mr. H. addresses by adjusting bolt head depth. As long as this adjustment is in the ballpark there should be little to fear.

Extraction difficulties would appear to me to be related to this protrusion issue. Mic'ing the case diameter for the 1/2"-3/4" above the base might divulge a ring bulge. The presence of such might indicate that the protrusion issue may merit additional attention.

I must admit a significant degree of disappointment with the way this thread has gone. The bickering and nitpicking is not necessary. All I can suggest is that if thy fellow forum member offends thee, use then 'ignore' option. I try to avoid it, have only used it three or four times since it became available, and I consider it a personal failure of my own when I am moved to do it. But I will do it rather than enter into the sort of pissing contests resembling tnis one. This was a hard lesson to learn, and I simply hope others can benefit from my own discomfiture.

Greg

Greg, you are of course correct. They all are on ignore and I really should "ignore" them as they are a collection of nasty wannabes.
The cases have been miked at all points and are within specs.
The old "Pet Loads" test of miking the case head still works well and the loads fired in this rifle are right on with those fired in my Tikka 595 as is length to shoulder and OAL, in summary: no headspace problem.
Again thanks for your insight and my apologies for the "post chasers". I'm sure the moderators will deal with them in due course.

Yeah the nitpicking and bickering gets old. I agree. But there are some who just deserve it as they solicit it. Hell look at the track record. Kicked of many other boards, lands here and call the members wannbe's and strikes out at mildots and long range match bullets... gotta wonder huh...

I'll just keep being the wannabe I am. Cause hell, I hardly know my way around a $500 rig let alone a $6000 one. I can dream though.

bohem,

You mean you're from fhilwee and don't like a good argument. You mustn't have had enough of Pats or Geno's yet... ;-) Maybe you're from the NE, 'cause if you were from South fhilwee you would jumped in and started swingin'. jus' kiddin'

JLM,
I didn't see my invite either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next time you're here drop by and you can see it.</div></div>

I feel left out
grin.gif

</div></div>

Neener Neener Neener!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, you are of course correct. They all are on ignore and I really should "ignore" them as they are a collection of nasty wannabes.
</div></div>

So you didn't mean it when you invited me over to your house?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bohem,

You mean you're from fhilwee and don't like a good argument. You mustn't have had enough of Pats or Geno's yet... ;-) Maybe you're from the NE, 'cause if you were from South fhilwee you would jumped in and started swingin'. jus' kiddin'

</div></div>

Hahah, yeah I'm all for a good argument, but I'd seen enough of the bickering to climb on a soap box a little bit.

I live near Philly, not in it. Pat's and Gino's are mediocre compared to a couple of other really good cheesesteak places I've found since I moved here. They're just famous because of the advertising, but Jim's on South Street beats them handily IMO, and a little place in the NE just off Bustleton is even better.

(Any other Philly members, that should start a stirr...)

I hear ya Pat's and Geno's are sort of a ritual before a Flyers game. I have had..(whisper under my breath) better cheese steaks...

I worked in fhilwee as a PI (most under cover for some big corps)

So I know my way around a bit. I grew up in Lancaster Co. moved to Quakertown then Coopersburg. Been out west for 'bout 12 yrs.

Worked a BIG UC job for Lehigh Valley Dairy's That was a 2 yr stint.

Did another UC job for Edgecomb metals. That was fun with the teamsters invovled... woohoo!

I hear ya 'bout unions. But hey it is what makes Philly tick.

I'm a wit guy... and can't find a good cheese steak out here to save its ass! They have these places here called "taste of Philly" or something like that.... what a joke...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear ya 'bout unions. But hey it is what makes Philly tick.

I'm a wit guy... and can't find a good cheese steak out here to save its ass! They have these places here called "taste of Philly" or something like that.... what a joke...

</div></div>

yeah I've been to one in New Hampshire... the manager was pissed when I told him it should be "taste philly's grundle"

wiz wit is my go to steak.

15yg1vm.jpg

200 paces (a FUR PIECE), 9 SMK's, with no BOSS system. 1.1" on both axis's.

Ok, I wasnt going to wade through all the bullshit.

Was it a crown issue on the used barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even get me started on Unions... the one at Boeing annoys the hell out of me on a regular basis. </div></div>

And you live clear the hell out in Philly,try having your Marble and Granite shop just down the road from Boeing in Everett,WA.Seems like they are always on strike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
15yg1vm.jpg

</div></div>

Damn did Humble teach you to shoot that Awesome!!!!! also was that with your marlin/savage Frankenstein rifle?

Can you Teach me PLEASE!!!!!!! with a cherry on top

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Sigy©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
15yg1vm.jpg

</div></div>

Damn did Humble teach you to shoot that Awesome!!!!! also was that with your marlin/savage Frankenstein rifle?

Can you Teach me PLEASE!!!!!!! with a cherry on top </div></div>

Two things just screw any old tube on whatever receiver ya got, and then shoot factory ammo with a BOSS system twisted to taste.