• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 Ackley Questions/Help

DownWindOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2011
New York
www.downwindoutdoors.com
I am building my first custom rifle on the Model 700 platform and I was looking for some opinions on the 22-250 Ackley. I am going to admit, I like the cartridge mainly because of its cool factor and the extra velocity. This gun will be a predator gun so quick follow up shots will be abundant, how does the round chamber? Also, does the higher angled shoulder really help in accuracy compared to the 22-250? I plan to shoot 55gr rounds.

Thanks,

Eric

I am no expert by any means, however from reading I notice many people go the AI route running a 8". Then use something around the 75gr bullet range. They go AI for the extra velocity...again I could be wrong, but the majority I see end up that way. I have been wanting to build a 8" 22-250AI for few years now. If 75gr AMAX ever start showing up back on shelves ill probably end up heading down this road.

22-250AI is really not needed at all, the standard 22-250 has all the horsepower you need. However, I'm with you on the "cool" factor. I hate the body taper of the 250 case, and the AI version looks sweet.

No trouble feeding.

Do it.

I have an ackley in a different caliber, +1 to only trimming your brass once every 7 firings or so.

Ackley improving the .22-250 case will net you performance parallel to a .220Swift.

IE, 55s will run right near 4K, from a .22-250AI, minus the case stretching of the bottlenecked Swift case. I have a few hardcore coyote hunting pards who've been there & done that, and they run .22-250AIs with 55s. IIRC, they are running 1:12 twists with the 55s, which nets a very efficient use of that powder capacity. Accuracy is phenomenal, terminal performance is excellent, and case stretch/upkeep is nill. Trim once after fireforming, if at all, and rock on. Feeding from a standard BDL magazine is fine...

That said, I've also got some pards who run fast, 1:8" twist .22-250AIs with 75Amaxs, and they're plenty tickled, too. ~3350fps is a realistic high end to expect, from the .250AI.

From 300yds, on out, the fast twist heavies will really begin to shine in windy conditions. And they'll be hittin'' like a dang freight train, from the muzzle, on out. But those 55s still get to 500yds plenty quick, with enough gusto, too. Predator hunting here in NY, shots will be in that <300yd range, much more often, than not.

Pick your poison...

Course, if ya wanna go "full retard", do a fast twist .22-243Imp like me, LOL! Then, you're stepping in a whole nutha' league of badazzery with .224caliber heavies. Add another 300fps to how fast a .22-250AI will launch the 75s, and you might just develop a thirst to sip that Koolaid... ;)

But again, .22-250AI:
1:8 twist, 75s @ ~3300
1:12 twist, 55s @ ~4000

Thats about what you're lookin' at, from a 26" tube...

Good luck & have fun deciding!!!

What powder are you running with the AI? I'm upgrading my Savage 22-250 to a fast twist AI barrel soon and looking at load data now. Planning on 75s. I've been loading with Varget and H380 for the regular 22-250.

In a fast twist .22-250AI with 75s, H-4350. Heavier bullet---> slower burn powder.

RL-22, H-1000, RL-25, Retumbo in the .22-243Imp
Using RL-22 for fireforming loads...

7% more capacity for 3% more velocity. Anything over that is due to overloading, which can be done with the standard round just as unsafely. You also sometimes lose a round of magazine capacity. The ultimate 500 Meter and less coyote set up is an AR in .204. Suppressed is better. Will simply shoot flatter and drift less than a 22 250 AI. Longer ranges and heavier bullets will take over past 500 meters.

This is all personal preferences.

.220 swift is a viable option. Flat shooting, somewhat accessable brass and IMR4064 or 3031 with a 52 or 55g round in a 1:14 27" braked barrel yields nice results. That said, I also have a few .223 bolt actions, a .243 with a Timney, an AI .260, lots of similar flat shooting rounds but a .220 pushing 55's is very easy to shoot and has good reach for the task at hand.

I see the lack of need for trimming as a big selling point for the Ackley.
Cases like the 22-250 and Swift have too much taper and will require regular maintenance.
I shoot a 223 AI and it shoots well under MOA fireforming with no need to trim in the first 4 firings so far.
I'm guessing that the 204 AR is out of the realm of possibility for you in NY.

I ran a 22-250AI as my primary coyote rifle for several years. Don't ever recall having any feeding issues from a 700 factory mag.

I would give a slight accuracy edge to the AI version, but that's just my casual observation, so don't take it as absolute fact.

For the light bullets, the AI version will run well on the same powders as the standard version does. Varget is a solid choice for 50 and 55 grainers.

H1000 was the most accurate powder in my 8 twist 22-250 AI's (2 different barrels), though it did give up some velocity to H4350.

I have a switch barrel .22-250AI Rem 700 GAP build with a 1:8" twist Bartlein at 26". I use RL-15 under the 75A-max and get 3360fps easy with awesome accuracy. It feeds flawlessly from AI mags as a bonus. The rifle was originally a standard .22-250, after toasting the throat, I had my smith rechamber it to the 22-250AI for a fire forming barrel. Just load up standard brass with a mild load and some cheap bullets, saves the new barrel and can be accurate also.