• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 Fast Twist Barrel Life?

Re: 22-250 Fast Twist Barrel Life?

I'm building one now a 7 twist 22-250. Plan on shooting the 90 bergers. Have you had any problems getting them to shoot? Any blow ups?

We shot a 22 Dasher, which is an improved 22BR at the 600yd comps, with 7 twist Rock Creek barrel, 90gr bullets, and we had to set back barrel around 550 rounds. That is our gun went from 1 hole to 1/2in. After set back, (new chamber and throat) went back to 1 hole. These hot rod 22`s are hard on barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot a 22 Dasher, which is an improved 22BR at the 600yd comps, with 7 twist Kreiger barrel, 90gr bullets, and we had to set back barrel around 550 rounds. That is our gun went from 1 hole to 1/2in. After set back, (new chamber and throat) went back to 1 hole. These hot rod 22`s are hard on barrels.
</div></div>

550rds to a setback; that is quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot a 22 Dasher, which is an improved 22BR at the 600yd comps, with 7 twist Kreiger barrel, 90gr bullets, and we had to set back barrel around 550 rounds. That is our gun went from 1 hole to 1/2in. After set back, (new chamber and throat) went back to 1 hole. These hot rod 22`s are hard on barrels.
</div></div>

What barrel length, bullet and velocity were you guys getting?

I'm shooting an 8 twist 250AI with 75gr A-max's at about 3100. Have about 3000rds through it and it still shoots like it did when I first had the work done.

The only blow-ups I've had are 50gr bullets moving over 4100fps, silver cloud at around 300yds.

I was concerned, so I had my new barrel nitrided in hopes of increasing barrel life. I don't even have 100 rounds through it yet, so it will be a while before I know if it pays off. Mine is a 22-250AI and my fireforming load is pushing 80 grainers at 3,200 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building one now a 7 twist 22-250. Plan on shooting the 90 bergers. Have you had any problems getting them to shoot? Any blow ups? </div></div>

Yes...In a 7 twist, you will have to limit the 90's to 3100. I can push them MUCH faster so I just stick with the 80 A-Maxes at about 3600. When I re-barrel, I will go with a 9 twist. I will see if I can push the 90's FAST. If not, I will just stick with the 80's.

exacaliber. wouldn't shoot under a half inch after 550 rounds? a barrel like that might last me 2500 until it missed minute of P.D.

Alot of people thinks 1/2 moa is great and it is, but in the 600yd benchrest world, that suxs. If your rifle didn`t shoot at least 1.5 inch group at 600yds, you couldn`t compete. We changed barrels every 500-550 rounds so we could get max accuracy. You would be amazed how fast the throat goes with even such small cases. If alot of shooters would listen to benchrest shooters more, they might learn something about accuracy.

Reactions: valkson99

Experimented with a 22-250 with a 1/8 twist and it shot flat! However...bbl life was brutal. shot around 800 rounds of sub moa then was gd fpr 1 moa for around 300 rounds or so then chunks of the lands broke off near the throat. A lot depends on the powder you are using and the pressure. If you are shooting max pressure loads, then your bbl life willnot be too good.

I had a #7heavy shilen SS select match 7 twist and was running 80's at 3200 w no prob. I had about 1500rnds when I sold it to go with a lighter barrel. It was shooting better than 1/2 for me and my buddy put it on his rifle and is still going strong. I have replaced it w a krieger 7.75 and dropped the speed to 3100, I expect this will last quite a long while.