• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22-250 First Session, Where to Now?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Just getting started in the reloading thing for my M700 VFS 1:14. I went to the range today to test my first batch of handloads. I used recipies from this page and others and worked up. I only used two projectiles: 52gr Nosler Custom Comp BTHP and 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (to be used for hunting only). I stayed with H380 and Varget only for this session to limit the variables. I know H380 was made for the .22-250 but the Varget shot the two tightest groups.

There was a stiff breeze today that may have influenced a few shots minimally but I think this data is meaningful. Looking at the pic, my H380 loads are on the top row beginning right to left and increasing. The Varget loads are on the second row, right to left increasing. The third row contains the hottest H380 loads and the 3 ballistic tip loads I tried.

What should my next loads be based on these groups?

Thanks

DSC03252.jpg

Re: .22-250 First Session, Where to Now?

My Ruger varmint 22-250 likes the same load your gun did. 36 grains of varget with a 52 grain HPBT.

I would start tweaking that load, it looks good. Change seating depth a little at a time and see if you can get it any better. Also shoot 5 shot groups to get a better idea of how your loads are doing. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRA-Patron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Ruger varmint 22-250 likes the same load your gun did. 36 grains of varget with a 52 grain HPBT.

I would start tweaking that load, it looks good. Change seating depth a little at a time and see if you can get it any better. Also shoot 5 shot groups to get a better idea of how your loads are doing. Good luck. </div></div>

Thanks for the input. I will definetly shoot 5 shot groups next outting. WIth so many variables the first time I didnt want to have to load more then necessary to see where the promise lay. By seating depth, I assume you mean lessen it. I loaded all these to 2.350" which is what all the manuals suggested but ironically, is longer then what all the factory ammo I had on hand was.

Is it typical for some charges to produce a decent result and then have the next hottest drop off only to have the next hottest shoot better. For some reason I expected incremental progress towards the best load, not OK, better, worse, best.

your 38.5 through 39.5 loads all grouped in the same poi with the 52 and the 380.
the 34 through 35 with the varget look really good to. I would play with the 34.5
load for sure as it is tight and right between two other charges that printed to the
same poi.
The 39 and 38 h380 50 grain loads are also ok in that bullet.

Good chance the 39 grn h380 52 grain bullet had a flier looking at the groups on
either side of it. m2c

As far as the seating depth. I would try longer and shorter from where you are now and see what it likes best.