• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 for coyotes

onthex

Sport Shooter - Pro Hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2018
Tennessee
www.thorboats.com
I’m wanting to buy a factory built lightweight 22–250 coyote hunting. My budget is up to $2K for rifle only. Best suggestions?

I second the vote on Tikka. I have been having a hard time locating anything in the smaller calibers for a while. I guess they send a shipment in 1 of 2 times a year of rifles and when they are gone it is a long wait.

Reactions: onthex
Do you plan to hand load? If so your gunna want something in 8 or 9 twist, most of the factory guns I looked at were 12 or 14 twist.

Really need more info. Do you want to shoot heavys, are you saving fur, are you going to upgrade the gun at some point, mags? Adl? Bdl?, do you want a traditional stock? Etc.

For $2k, I’d be tempted to snag a Mack Bros Evo, find a cheaper pre-fit (Xcaliber), Bell & Carlson stock, and a Timney trigger and throw it together yourself. That way you’ll get what you’re looking for. Like Deets pointed out, not a lot of fast twist factory 22-250 options out there.

Do you plan to hand load? If so your gunna want something in 8 or 9 twist, most of the factory guns I looked at were 12 or 14 twist.
You do not need the heavies to hunt coyotes. 3600+ FPS with a 52 Hornady puts them down in a Tikka 1/14 22-250. They don't spin and run.

Attachments

• 5 yote.jpg
    5 yote.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
You do not need the heavies to hunt coyotes. 3600+ FPS with a 52 Hornady puts them down in a Tikka 1/14 22-250. They don't spin and run.

They usually dont blow through the back side much either. I prefer 52s going 3750 in my 250for yotes.

Really need more info. Do you want to shoot heavys, are you saving fur, are you going to upgrade the gun at some point, mags? Adl? Bdl?, do you want a traditional stock? Etc.
I plan to shoot 55grain V-Max, but I would like to be able to push a 75 grain pill, too. I don't save fur, and traditional stock is fine. Looking for an "off the shelf" tool, and I don't plan on upgrading. Just want something light and accurate.

The only one Im aware of that is twisted fast enough for a 75 (unless its a short fat cup and core) is a Ruger American. Idk if they offer it anymore, and its a Ruger American. If you pick up a Tikka donor or Mac Bros you could easily build inside that price though.

I've got a tikka varmint that will give me .5" groups or less quite consistently with the 55gr v max since I upgraded the stock. Buy a tikka, throw a new stock on it and you're in your budget. The bergara premier approach has my eye too though.

Reactions: Charlie112
You are correct, you don’t need heavies to hunt coyotes. Just depends on how far away you want to shoot em.
1427902B-35FA-42EF-9780-84B7BEC1B884.jpeg

Why not a 204 Ruger in a Tikka ? Quieter, less recoil, very good on yotes. If you going inside of 300 yards it's a great little round. Really happy with mine.

Reactions: Deets
For $2K you could buy a $600 tikka, add a vortex LHD $1200 , $80 set of vortex US rings, $5 trigger spring and $79 arca rail that drops right in.

Why not a 204 Ruger in a Tikka ? Quieter, less recoil, very good on yotes. If you going inside of 300 yards it's a great little round. Really happy with mine.
I have a 204 Ruger, and I love it. I should have mentioned in OP that range is an issue. I often have shots out to 500 yards, and the 204 just has too little ass and too much wind drift at that distance.

Reactions: st1650
Honestly, in the current highly pressured coyote hunting environment, I’d shy away from the 22-250 (a phenomenal yote cartridge in all regards) and lean towards a truly long range capable round like the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm CM, or 6 BR. The smart dogs you encounter late in the season won’t come running to the call inside of 300-400 yards so you need to be able to connect out to 600 or so in field conditions (i.e. cold, windy, non-bipod shots). At best, with factory (i.e. sub $2K) rifles, the 22-250 can launch a good 60 gr Nosler BT out to 400 yards with killing accuracy. My best 22-250 kill was at 370 yards. With the 6.5 CM, I’ve connected on an effortless 381 yard off the bipod and another at 321 yards off of shooting sticks. Often times, it’s better to ditch the caller and go to pure spot and stalk hunting where long shooting is a must.

Moving up to a fast 6mm was going to be my suggestion too, if 500y is pretty normal. If fur isn't a concern, shoot them with whatever.

I have done the above, located them with howlers in the morning, then found and stocked them.

Moving up to a fast 6mm was going to be my suggestion too, if 500y is pretty normal. If fur isn't a concern, shoot them with whatever.

I have done the above, located them with howlers in the morning, then found and stocked them.
Yup, fast 6mms do wonders on wary coyotes. The 243 WSSM being an old favorite of mine. Be back in business with this lovely round before next winter. Been witness to plenty of awesome 6 BR busts on coyotes I’ve called in.

Even going 100% silent and glassing them up from the right vantage can be far more effective in highly pressured public land than incessant calling. Gotta burn some boot leather and chase them down sometimes. Very fun way to pursue them.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Honestly, in the current highly pressured coyote hunting environment, I’d shy away from the 22-250 (a phenomenal yote cartridge in all regards) and lean towards a truly long range capable round like the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm CM, or 6 BR. The smart dogs you encounter late in the season won’t come running to the call inside of 300-400 yards so you need to be able to connect out to 600 or so in field conditions (i.e. cold, windy, non-bipod shots). At best, with factory (i.e. sub $2K) rifles, the 22-250 can launch a good 60 gr Nosler BT out to 400 yards with killing accuracy. My best 22-250 kill was at 370 yards. With the 6.5 CM, I’ve connected on an effortless 381 yard off the bipod and another at 321 yards off of shooting sticks. Often times, it’s better to ditch the caller and go to pure spot and stalk hunting where long shooting is a must.
An 80 grainer at 3200 out of the 22/250 will smoke anything you can launch out of a 6BR or 6.5 Creed out to 700 yards and it only takes $700 Tikka to do it