• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 prec rig.

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
One of my many projects I wanna do, this one is actually in my grasps, What twist barrel? I'm planing on runnin 80 to 60 Projos.

Ideas are welcome, and FYI, Im in high school, so a GAP anything is out of my reach, and Yes i do reload. The rifle im looking at is a ruger M77 Target, i can get a killer deal on a used one from a friend. And buying a new rifle is out of my reach.

Scott

Re: 22-250 prec rig.

Sweet, thanks pyplynr, ALL and i mean ALL Comments are welcome.

Scott

DSC02210.jpg

Here is one of my first BR Rigs. Yup, in 22-250. I had a couple in 22-250 AI and a couple in plain jane 22-250.

I had everything from 8 twist to 14 twist.

For the 80 grain pills, you need at least an 8 twist. I would even go as far as to say a 7.7 is better.

As a good rule, here is what I went by with twist rates and bullet weights.

14 twist--40gr to 50gr
12 twist--40gr to 55gr
10 twist--50gr to 60gr
9 twist--50gr to 69gr
8 twist--55gr to 75gr
7.7 twist--69gr to 80gr

Thats just going off my memory. I may be off a bit, but those are pretty decent numbers.

Find the twist out of the gun you are considering. That will dictate what projectile you can use.

I owned a Ruger 77 HB varmint in 22-250 and could never get it to shoot consistantly uner an inch. Groups usually ran 1-1.25" no mater what bullet or load I used. Same loads in my Remy HB 700 were 0.5" some less. I traded in the Ruger.

You want an 8 or 7.5 twist rate. 22-250 is a great round, although don't get hung up on the case just because you can get a cheap rifle in it. The M77's sometimes shoot great, sometimes don't and many gunsmiths won't work on them. The aftermarket parts support is nil too.

If you look into a Savage 12 in 223 with a 9 twist you can shoot the 75 BTHP and usually (mine does) 75 Amax very well. The ammo is cheaper to reload, brass is very plentiful, etc. etc.

There are more support parts for it as you want to upgrade and the Savages are excellent shooters, especially with hand loading.

Thanks for the input, and i did have a savage in .223 at one point in time. I sold it, the 75s key holed out of it. But I plan on dropping the ruger into a XLR industries Chassis,Put a krieger barrel on it, and a Millett MRS or what ever on it, while i save up for a super sniper MIL/MIL.

There are 1:12's and 1:9's in the Savages, you need to look at the individual specs of the model to be sure. Sometimes the 75 Amax's won't work from a 9tw from what I've been told. Both my 9tw 223's stabilize them.

Mine was a 9 twist, checked it using the cleaning rod method. I will go back and look at savages again in 22-250, cause if worst comes to worst, I can go to another 308.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotts556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input, and i did have a savage in .223 at one point in time. I sold it, the 75s key holed out of it. But I plan on dropping the ruger into a XLR industries Chassis,Put a krieger barrel on it, and a Millett MRS or what ever on it, while i save up for a super sniper MIL/MIL. </div></div>

Make sure to find a smith that will work on a Ruger. As mentioned above, I can honestly say the vast majority of quality gunsmiths won't touch a Ruger. Regardless of the barrel, some will just never shoot.

A Krieger target barrel will run you $300 and a wait. It will cost you about $300 to thread, chamber, headspace and crown it. Add in shipping both ways, unless the smith is local, and there goes another 70 bucks. I don't know how much you are going to pay for it to begin with, but you are talking 600-700 dollars, and at least a 6 month wait for a barrel and gunsmithing. And thats just in a rebarrel-if a smith will do it.

You can do much better money wise with a 9 twist Savage or Remington and have a shooter right off the bat.

Scott,
I have some Rem 22-250's in the VSSF model that shoot as well as the most expensive customs I own. I prefer the stock on them to most McMillans. I would consider one of them. New, if you can, as many of the used .22-250's I have looked at have considerable throat erosion. You are going to be pretty much stuck with the factory 14 twist which is great to 500 yards with the 55 grain bullets. I find the 55 to be a very good killer to 500 in the 22-250. Heavy bullets are the rage now, but if not shooting large game or beyond 500, not really gaining much except less wind drift, which is offset by more drop. JMO

I have owned some Rugers and do not care for them. There is a reason that many gunsmiths will not work on them. Personally, I do not care for Savages. I will say that they shoot, from what I hear. The Rem is a known value and will likely shoot right out of the box, which the Savage will do as well. If or when you sell or uptrade, the Rem will come closer to getting your money back. Barrel life, the way I load and shoot my 22-250's is fairly short. (2500 rds) so if you could get a rifle and have a lot of fun with it while the Kreiger or Bartlein is on order. Also you could set a time with a gunsmith for 6 mos when the barrel is here and the old one is gone. JMO

I run a bone stock Savage 12 FV. It is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I'm running 55 gr. Sierra GK SP and HP. The only thing wrong with the rifle is that the bolt is on the right side and I'm a lefty. It's going to get sold and replaced with a Savage 12 FLV. Once rifle is in hand I'll have the barrel fluted, replace the factory stock with a stockade stock and roll with it.

If you can sacrifice not being able to shoot the heavy bullets, then Savage is the way to go. It is the only brand of bolt action I will buy. I have a model 10 FLCP-K in .308 sitting right next to the .22-250 and am very pleased with it also.