• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 reduced loads

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
Anybody have any experience? I saw something scary today from someone using them. load was 4227 w/53 gr bt.

Re: 22-250 reduced loads

utf-8BSU1BRzAyMTMuanBn.jpg

Yes I have, 52SMK's and Unique, which is recommended by the manufacturer for reduced rifle loads. Never saw anything like your pictures, and I have no clue how that came about.

What's the point in reducing the 22-250?

Not my gun,nor idea.more like trying to figure out what went wrong. Bolt is toast. I would guess it was dentation. I asked the guy the same thing, he said they were much quiter than standard loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not my gun,nor idea.more like trying to figure out what went wrong. Bolt is toast. I would guess it was dentation. I asked the guy the same thing, he said they were much quiter than standard loads. </div></div>

Seems pretty ignorant just drop down to a 222 or 223 if you want something slightly quieter. My guess is that guy might have dropped into a light charge of shotgun/pistol powder and shit didn't end well.

Edit: End of the case looks very odd almost like he might have had the wrong bolt in the rifle, as in one that has a magnum bolt face and upon ignition that's where the brass gave maybe?

I even think there is data for trailboss powder for a 22 250. Why would you want a reduced load? Mabe you dont own a smaller rifle mabe you want to practice shooting techniques with less recoil or noise. I shoot trap with a guy who hunts squirrel with an 06 with 100 gr cast bullets and 7.5 grains of reddot with the extra case capacity taken up with kapoc

If I had to bet...I'd bet it was a double or triple dose. You won't be getting a pressure excursion like that with fast powder. Somebody fucked up. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I even think there is data for trailboss powder for a 22 250. Why would you want a reduced load? Mabe you dont own a smaller rifle mabe you want to practice shooting techniques with less recoil or noise. I shoot trap with a guy who hunts squirrel with an 06 with 100 gr cast bullets and 7.5 grains of reddot with the extra case capacity taken up with kapoc </div></div>

I could understand the recoil argument on other calibers but not the 250 and if less noise is desired then the shooter should look into better hearing protection.

It isn't the powder type that matters, using the proper amount does. Very much.

I hunt squirrels with my 30.06 and 147gr FMJBT's pushed by 7.5 gr of Unique. That load holds sub-MOA for some reason. When I try to shoot them full-powered, they spread out to 3.5+ MOA.

Well, I still have over 2K of them left, not sure I'll ever shoot that many squirrels.

Fun load to get kids shooting though.

the beauty of handloading is that you can make ammo to fit your your needs. I dont care how good your earmuffs are there are times when your neighbors dont need to hear the loud crack of your rifle or when you dont want to startle all the livestock shooting groundhogs around the barn

Or say for instance you like poking holes in paper at 100 and 200 yards but dont like buying a new barrel every 2000 rounds