• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 shortened

Mandango39

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2023
Kentucky
If a man was to make a 22-250 barrel in 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist and shorten it to 16”, would 53 grain bullets spin apart at the higher velocities of the 250? Wanting to shoot 80 grain pills as fast as possible with a 16” barrel but still be able to shoot light weight bullets for varmints.

With a 7.5 twist at 3450 fps, you're at 331k RPM. Probably going to get some to come apart.

Apparently Sierra blitzking can tolerate 350K RPM

So it’s pointless to do a 22-250 and still shoot the bullets I want. So, 22 arc it is. Damnit.
If you're wanting to stay with 50's grain range, why do 7.5 twist. I ask as I'm debating the same thing.....should I chop my 22-250? However, I only want to stay in the 50 range.

If you're wanting to stay with 50's grain range, why do 7.5 twist. I ask as I'm debating the same thing.....should I chop my 22-250? However, I only want to stay in the 50 range.
Never mind. It always helps to read the entire question LOL. I see you're wanting to shoot 80's.

I was just so quick to reply as I'm thinking to chop as well.

You could do a 1/8 twist and shoot the 75 eld-m which has a better BC than some 80 grains. My 75gr eld-m load was my favourite one to 1000 yard on my previous 223.

You could do a 1/8 twist and shoot the 75 eld-m which has a better BC than some 80 grains. My 75gr eld-m load was my favourite one to 1000 yard on my previous 223.
I’m wanting to shoot the 53 vmax and the 80 eldx and 80 eldm and the 62 eldvt

I want to deer hunt and coyote hunt with it. Killed plenty over the years with a 223 but want more speed. I’ve heard good things about the 73 eldms though.

Just do a 7.5, forget the v-max and run the eld-vt for coyotes. It’s designed to handle some more RPM

Reactions: st1650
I have a brave suggestion. Want to shoot 90's out of a .22-250 with a fast twist barrel sounds great. Need to shoot lightweights to smear varmints. OK. Can't make both work the way you want them too out of the same rifle. Build two rifles. Go all out on the heavy bullet rifle. For the light bullet rifle, put a good barrel and an inexpensive chassis on something like a Ruger American or a Savage. Then, your worries will be over. (as far as rifles chambered in .22-250 go)

The Ruger American .22-250 runs a 1:10” twist which should be perfect for 53 V-maxes with minimal cash outlay.

Been tempted because I love that bullet…

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Man...take this from a guy that loves the 22-250 for whats made for...Varmints period. If you want to shoot targets at range beyond 600 meters use another caliber. The 22-250 is a 1/14 twist to a 1/12 twist rifle. I know I once thought about what your doing.

Ill save you allot time also, if you want to shoot paper or varmints at 600 meters (which is pretty much the max reliable precision for the 22-250) settle on just one bullet that shoots well.

For my experience that bullet is a Sierra .22 caliber 53 grain HP match. Its versatile as heck and the only way to go for coyotes, bobcats, prairie dogs and paper fun at the range to 600 yards. No matter what I shot over the last 58 years from a .223 through 6mm, I always come back to the 22-250 and 53grain Sierra Match HP.

"As or whats my favorite load for the 53 ?" For that Ill get on my soap box and lecture: "I wish folks on the internet would stop asking that statement period. Why? because there is more to powder, primers and cases when reloading. There's the rifle for one and barrel metal harmonics. There's BC and range being loaded for as another, and there is the environment. " Okay I stepped down. Hahah

Do what your taught, setup you case correctly paying particular attention to various headspace and neck diameters as they relate to friction for your rifle. Play with land numbers if you may...but I bet you;ll find your best seating depth is the one right for you rifle and load as long as its not jammed which is dangerous is you do what so many wrongfully do and "pack the powder high" As Cortina suggest...Stop Chasing the lands. Then start at minimum powder load and work your way up. Keep good notes and compare to paper target performance. Always remember this ..."its not how fast the bullet goes or how heavy the bullet is to buck the wind, its how repeatable the bullet strike is all the time at midrange.'

You see by picking the right bullet and knowing ballistics you'll soon discover the 22-250 is versatile tom 600meters without any mods unless you wildcat it. Believe me when you can learn to shoot very well at 500yards with it...you'll know what all these words are about!

Last edited:
Man...take this from a guy that loves the 22-250 for whats made for...Varmints period. If you want to shoot targets at range beyond 600 meters use another caliber. The 22-250 is a 1/14 twist to a 1/12 twist rifle. I know I once thought about what your doing.

Ill save you allot time also, if you want to shoot paper or varmints at 600 meters (which is pretty much the max reliable precision for the 22-250) settle on just one bullet that shoots well.

For my experience that bullet is a Sierra .22 caliber 53 grain HP match. Its versatile as heck and the only way to go for coyotes, bobcats, prairie dogs and paper fun at the range to 600 yards. No matter what I shot over the last 58 years from a .223 through 6mm, I always come back to the 22-250 and 53grain Sierra Match HP.

"As or whats my favorite load for the 53 ?" For that Ill get on my soap box and lecture: "I wish folks on the internet would stop asking that statement period. Why? because there is more to powder, primers and cases when reloading. There's the rifle for one and barrel metal harmonics. There's BC and range being loaded for as another, and there is the environment. " Okay I stepped down. Hahah

Do what your taught, setup you case correctly paying particular attention to various headspace and neck diameters as they relate to friction for your rifle. Play with land numbers if you may...but I bet you;ll find your best seating depth is the one right for you rifle and load as long as its not jammed which is dangerous is you do what so many wrongfully do and "pack the powder high" As Cortina suggest...Stop Chasing the lands. Then start at minimum powder load and work your way up. Keep good notes and compare to paper target performance. Always remember this ..."its not how fast the bullet goes or how heavy the bullet is to buck the wind, its how repeatable the bullet strike is all the time at midrange.'

You see by picking the right bullet and knowing ballistics you'll soon discover the 22-250 is versatile tom 600meters without any mods unless you wildcat it. Believe me when you can learn to shoot very well at 500yards with it...you'll know what all these words are about!
WHAT HE SAID!!! SPOT ON!!!’ I have been on 22-250 Rifles for some where close to 37 years… no brag, I am getting old!!! Just enjoy that caliber and varmint hunting so dam much!!!! The 53-55 grain bullets are what I stay with,,, powder, primers etc. right your own ticket…..YMMV….🇺🇸⚡

For what it's worth...

I run a 20 inch Shilen, chambered 22-250 AI. I went with their 4-groove, 1-7.5 ratchet rifling hoping it would reduce jacket failures.

I've shot 55gr Nosler BTs for fireforming all the way up to 90gr SMKs. Zero jacket failures to date.

55 NBT over H380
75 ELDM over Superformance or H4831sc
77 LRX over H4831sc
90 SMK over H4831sc

The 77gr Barnes is nasty on hogs and deer here in North Texas.

Last edited:
For what it's worth...

I run a 20 inch Shilen, chambered 22-250 AI. I went with their 1-7.5 ratchet rifling hoping it would reduce jacket failures.

I've shot 55gr Nosler BTs for fireforming all the way up to 90gr SMKs. Zero jacket failures to date.

55 NBT over H380
75 ELDM over Superformance or H4831sc
77 LRX over H4831sc
90 SMK over H4831sc

The 77gr Barnes is nasty on hogs and deer here in North Texas.
Out of how many shots so far?

I don't have my log book with me, but a little over 500 total.

Things could certainly change as the barrel wears and the firecracking gets worse...

I’m a big 204 Ruger lover. If you shoot colony varmints AND larger things I’d just get two barrels with wrench flats machined on them as 22-250 heats up too fast for pdog shooting IMHO. Build a switch barrel.

And unless I’m doing something wrong in Strelok, it appears the factory 40gr vmax Superperformance 204 cartridge Hornady offers exceeds or equals, say, the Sierra Prairie Enemy Blitzking 50gr (.259 G1) in most respects.

The Sierra 53gr HP Match has a .224 G1 (I don’t have that bullet in my Strelok).

The 204 40gr vmax has the same or better drop numbers, better wind drift across the board, and at 200-300yds about 100ft/lbs less energy (400yds+ its pretty equal). The 22-250 wins the energy battle at 100yds.

Another caveat is that I don’t have chrono’d weather velocity numbers. Just what’s on the box.

Again, I didn’t compare the exact 53gr bullet to 204 40gr vmax, but it’s worth running the numbers.

22-250 50gr Sierra Prairie Enemy Blitzking​

7B8C95C6-5D6B-4090-B4C7-F5DA781243B1.png

5955C480-3E12-4D04-BC1B-CB3AF4BE2B35.jpeg

204 Hornady 40gr Vmax Superperformance​

63D3444D-A368-4CEE-8E88-8E1C6F8B9347.jpeg

3A20EA8D-93FA-4E1D-9B8B-6C407FB8C3B6.jpeg

Last edited: