• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22.250 Varget discrepencies

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    I have always examined serveral manuals and look at the difference in max charge wieghts and expected velocities. There is a BIG spread in charge wieghts...

Rifle is a Savage 12FV, .22-250, 26 inch 1in12 twist.
    Winchester brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 55 gr v-max, Varget powder
    2.065 length to ogive, 2.465 OAL

Here is a listing of published MIN/MAX loads and expected velocities

Hornady-30.8gr. @3200fps /34.6gr. @3600fps (55gr V-max,SPSX,SP,SP w/c, BT-FMJ w/c)
    Nosler -31.0gr. @3273fps /35.0gr. @3635fps (55gr BT, CT ballistic tip)
    Sierra -32.1gr. @3300fps /36.1gr. @3700fps (55gr Blitz, SMP, FMJBT, SPT, SBT, HPBT, Blitzking)
    Hodgdon-32.8gr. @3325fps /36.5gr. @3664fps (55gr SPR SP)(speer?)
    Lyman -34.0/37.0gr. @ 3696fps (55gr Jacketed V-max)

I don't recall ever seeing a 2.4grain difference in MAX charges with any other powder in my manuals.

Any comments?

Re: 22.250 Varget discrepencies

Go with Hodgdon, after all they make it. Work up from their starting load.
    Go their website there are lots of loads there by specific bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always examined serveral manuals and look at the difference in max charge wieghts and expected velocities. There is a BIG spread in charge wieghts...

Rifle is a Savage 12FV, .22-250, 26 inch 1in12 twist.
    Winchester brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 55 gr v-max, Varget powder
    2.065 length to ogive, 2.465 OAL

Here is a listing of published MIN/MAX loads and expected velocities

Hornady-30.8gr. @3200fps /34.6gr. @3600fps (55gr V-max,SPSX,SP,SP w/c, BT-FMJ w/c)
    Nosler -31.0gr. @3273fps /35.0gr. @3635fps (55gr BT, CT ballistic tip)
    Sierra -32.1gr. @3300fps /36.1gr. @3700fps (55gr Blitz, SMP, FMJBT, SPT, SBT, HPBT, Blitzking)
    Hodgdon-32.8gr. @3325fps /36.5gr. @3664fps (55gr SPR SP)(speer?)
    Lyman -34.0/37.0gr. @ 3696fps (55gr Jacketed V-max)

I don't recall ever seeing a 2.4grain difference in MAX charges with any other powder in my manuals.

Any comments?

</div></div>

Manuals are like writing up a report on a chemistry experiment....They say, "we used X components and achieved Y results". There is nothing set in stone. One rifle might see pressure signs with 40gr of a given powder, and that same load might be good to go in another rifle. Start low, work up, and you'll never go wrong.

"I don't recall ever seeing a 2.4grain difference in MAX charges with any other powder in my manuals."

I suspect what you are seeing is rather a difference in the rifles each book maker used. And yours is different from any of theirs so your results will also differ. Reloading ia an art, not a science.

Happens alot. I just saw a 2 grain difference today comparing a Nosler book to a Sierra book. 280 Ackley with 175 grain bullets using RL 22 was 2 grains different. Work up slow!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I don't recall ever seeing a 2.4grain difference in MAX charges with any other powder in my manuals."

I suspect what you are seeing is rather a difference in the rifles each book maker used. And yours is different from any of theirs so your results will also differ. Reloading ia an art, not a science.</div></div>

I did review each manual and which rifle they used, and yes it did range from a Remington700 to a universal reciever. I also realized that different bullets may have more or less bearing surface and differences in jacket thickness etc.

The biggest surprise was the spread between Hornady and Lyman manuals using the same bullet. Lyman starting within .6 grains of Hornadys max load and than exceeding it by 2.4 grains.

Things vary. Bore tightness, bullet construction, lot-to-lot propellent burn rate variances, they can all influence the results of load testing.

I went with the Sierra manual and their 55FMJBT and got a deliciously accurate (if hot) load. Because it's hot (but still within their published load range) I refer you to them, rather than posting my load.

Greg

what speed are you getting? i have a real nice load (3400 fps) but its with imr 4064 . my dad worked up this load 25 years ago for this gun and he tried alot of different ones, but maybe the gun might like the varget better, i dont think varget was out back then

Initially I averaged the data and started under it which was still towards the high end of the Hornady manual. My middle load clocked 3850fps and put three shots in a clover leaf at 100 yards. Bolt lift was a little sticky and the primers were flattened. While the accuracy is good the speed and pressure are excessive. I am going to start over using the lowest data in the Hornady book and look for the accuracy node there.

One thing I was reminded of from this is to always take your expected velocities with you instead of comparing them when you get home.
    Not often can a hand loader best published velocities safely, especially by 150fps.

My recent experience goes to show that even though thier is a lot of varience in the data, the starting loads are there for a reason. I can't tell you how often I have started with the middle loads and been just fine. This time I got through it with out issue, lucky I guess.

Be carefull and work your way up. I too like fast bullets and have some good 22-250 loads with Varget.

"I don't recall ever seeing a 2.4grain difference in MAX charges with any other powder in my manuals"

Start low and only work up if you see no evidence of excessive pressure. That't the single cardinal rule, all others are flexible. Each source of loading data you are looking at is no doubt correct for THEIR rifle. Your's is different, your loads will be somewhat different.

Tring hard to duplicate a book load by using only the listed components over looks the single biggest change we can possible make, that's the firearms we use.

Don't sweat the book differences, start low and load for your own rifles.