• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 22/45 with can, LOUD.....

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Well, i bought a MK III 22/45 threaded, and de-lawyered the gun. Its fun, and eats anything, but its actually fairly loud with a can attached.

I've tried several different brands of subsonic, match and generic ammo, and they dont really seem quieter.

I was using a GSG-1911, and compared to the MK III, the sound signature at discharge is night and day.

The MKIII is order or magnitudes louder. I dont get it, the action is integrated, enclosed, and heavier, yet its stupid loud.

I'm a little disappointed in ruger's design right now. Its a fun gun, but what gives.

Why the hell is my ruger loud

Re: 22/45 with can, LOUD.....

Looks like you are a zoomie? If so thank you for your service to our (still) great Country.
It could be what you are hearing is the discharge from the bolt opening on the Ruger.
Try this, and yes I do it all the time demoing Ruger .22 pistols, put your thumb on the back of the slide to lock it in place....see what that sounds like. Like the sound signature of a bolt gun!
Let us know....
Take care:

Phil

Mine is quiet as a church mouse. I did replace the upper with a PAC-lite 4 inch upper and shoot a SWR Spectre can. Very happy with the 22/45.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is quiet as a church mouse. I did replace the upper with a PAC-lite 4 inch upper and shoot a SWR Spectre can. Very happy with the 22/45. </div></div>
exact same package as mine, very happy with

Talking the new 22/45 that comes threaded ? Heard the dimensions were sloppy and nowhere the tolerance of the older 22/45's. Might be why, I have a pac lit upper but no can so can't help further.

How long are the threads on the Ruger?

Got any pics?

Should be very quiet, my SWR Spectre and 4" Buckmark are ridiculously quite with most all ammo.

how long is the barrel and what suppressor is attached ?

to keep most ammo subsonic you need a 4.5" or shorter if i'm not mistaken.

My MK II is 4.5 and with federal bulk HV is stapler quiet

Mine is a TS upper with a SWR Warlock. It has been very quiet. The fun part of owning a .22 suppressor is buying other guns to mount it on.
daves029.jpg

walther009.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that a 22 ppk in the second pic?....sweet!!! </div></div>
Yes it is! I looked for one for about 2 years and ended up buying 2 of them on the same day a couple of months ago. I sold one and made a nice profit and kept this one. It is a blast to shoot and very quiet. I am a James Bond fan so I had to have one to go with my Omega Seamaster.

Alderleet,

Slick, what did I tell you way back on the other thread when you were considering hosts? It the c-h-a-m-b-e-r. Ruger opened up the chamber on the III to making ejection easier for folks that never clean their III's. Its loud because of blow-back. Thumb on the back of slide? Well, that is not just bolt slap, on the III's its chamber pop! The higher the pressure can for better suppression and...right...more chamber pop! Your lower will also be filthy as well and that is the smell you smell with the III's suppressed. Simple test, take off the can, wait until the air clears and them fire and smell. Put the can on, fire and smell. Blow back. To fix it? Well, it is what I told you and probably not worth the $$$. It takes rebarreling the action with a match chamber. When you hear foks talk about replacing the uppers...its the chamber they are addressing. Want the best? Pick your maker, tell them to replace with match barrel/chamber, compress the barrel, shoot cleaner ss heavy bullets SS, tap gas and get back superb accuracy and the quietest possible .22 III. Your filling your can with crap with subs..

LASER.jpg

Here is a video of a III with folks talking as they are firing so you can tell its a mouse fart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZCa4AZmn4g

Remember the lower one goes on .22 velocity, the worse the accuracy, less stability, shorter range and far less terminal force. The trick it to get just under ss and reliably use the heaviest plated bullets, cleanest powder, etc. Even on the integrals, some reduce the velocity so low the guns are silent, good for 25 yards and wacky bad accuracy. It all in the balance.

TRI.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

LASER.jpg

</div></div>

I soooo want one....just can't bring myself to ponying up the cash....yet...

Could an under powered action spring be responsible for his problems?

no...

762, if you go the Ruger route, track down a magnificent II stainless and do it as you still have the goofy chamber indicator and all the mag release safety crap on the III lowers.

All this info leads back to a PAC-lite upper. It will solve your issue. I bought a new 22/45 with the standard barrel because it was cheapest. I knew I was going to change the upper anyway. Ordered the 4" upper from Tactical Solutions. It's aluminum with stainless sleeve. Makes it nice and light with the can on it. Yes, I know, $300 for the pistol and $300 for the upper and $400 for the can and $200 for the stamp is a lot of cash for a pistol. Like a previous poster mentioned using the can on multiple guns is where you get the savings. Get the PAC lite from tactical solutions, you won't be sorry.

Well, as you know the High Standard military model has been around for a while. AWC had built a great number of them 20 years ago. HS HDs are not particularly complicated, but they do not look particularly handsome pistol because of the slab profile of the rear upper. Kind of a blocksy look in the back and round barrel forward. The Ruger looks much better. The Ruger Amphibians were originally made for the Navy, in huge numbers and then went on to the Army. They went though eight or nine iterations on that frame. In fact, the originals were square baffle "crush" cones and the velocity was reduced quite considerably. The early ones had multiple taps. Now, with much higher tolerances, they are a full 200 feet per second faster and still sub sonic. That 200fps makes a huge difference in accuracy and residual power. I would track down that II rather than work on a HS HD that could well be worth 350-450 bucks as is.

Look, I have a problem with an aluminum sleeve and aluminum threads and a slip of a steel barrel. Tactical Solutions are the cheapest (materials wise) way to go. Plus threading on a stainless or titanium can on an aluminum sleeve barrel is just not goodness. Plus anodizing. I get the light weight part, but it ends there.