• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22.8 gr H335 with SMK 77 -- Safety Concerns?

RSnipe

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2021
US
Just saw something about H335 overpressure -- I've loaded 200 rounds with 77 gr SMK and 22.8gr H335. Anyone else have experience with this (or near) combo? Any safety concerns?

Did you just load that and that was it? Like did you consult a reloading manual, did you start lower and work your way up to that load?

How did you get to that load? Has YOUR rifle shown pressure signs?

I worked my way up and didn't see any pressure signs in my rifle on the day I shot the rounds. I got to around 2550 fps which (in my rifle) mimicked some WC 77gr rounds I had (half the SD in my rounds :)).

But then I saw stumbled on some over pressure comments with H335. I'm looking for others experience with H335 and 77gr SMK.

Hogdon lists 22.6 with that bullet.
I’d suspect the data was worked up in .223 throat vs. Wylde.
That said, the H data was with Winchester cases and primers. LC brass and 450’s could drive up pressure.
H335 is pretty temp sensitive, so if you worked it up at 40deg. It may get nast at 95.
25.3 H335 w/55 hdy sp, r-p cases and 400’s is my “plinker” load. Shoots very well in my AR.

If I recall, H335 can be temp sensitive.....maybe that was the basis of the info you found.

Hogdon info shows 22.6gr as a max charge for what it's worth.

The Lyman manual shows max 25.0 (starting was 22.5) for 77gr Jacketed HPBT and Nosler shows 23 for 2 non-Sierra 77gr. I didn't see any Hodgdon data for 77gr. Saw one test of 77 bergers with 23.5gr with no pressure signs. So I didn't think I was pushing the envelope.

Anybody actually use 77gr with H335 in these ranges?

Any concerns about either set of these? Guess which was 22.8 vs. 22.0 gr?
H335 test.jpg

I would say 22.8 is just fine, and primers will probably come out looking good. With Berger 77 OTM, I did 23.5 and it was hot but I could shoot it with no issues.
H335

Last edited:
Reactions: RSnipe
Guess which was 22.8 vs. 22.0 gr?
Hard for me to see a difference. Primers look ok overall to me, I don't see any heavy flattening or cratering.
If I had to guess I might be seeing a little cratering in a few cases on the right, but that could be the lighting.

I run 24 gr of H-335 with 75gr amax in 223 bolt gun and it works real nice.

My bolt rifle is in 223 if you were referring to me.

the newer reloading manuals are showing safe loading data for both chamberings now. Many reloaders are not paying attention to the difference thinking both are interchangeable.

I worked my way up and didn't see any pressure signs in my rifle on the day I shot the rounds. I got to around 2550 fps which (in my rifle) mimicked some WC 77gr rounds I had (half the SD in my rounds :)).

But then I saw stumbled on some over pressure comments with H335. I'm looking for others experience with H335 and 77gr SMK.
If you don’t see any pressure signs on your brass in your rifle, who the hell cares what other people are saying about that load in rifles that arent yours?

If its been proving safe in your gun and it performs to your satisfaction, dont fix what isn’t broken.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Hard for me to see a difference. Primers look ok overall to me, I don't see any heavy flattening or cratering.
If I had to guess I might be seeing a little cratering in a few cases on the right, but that could be the lighting.
I went back and looked -- it must be the lighting. I can't see signs of cratering. Thanks.

If you don’t see any pressure signs on your brass in your rifle, who the hell cares what other people are saying about that load in rifles that arent yours?

If its been proving safe in your gun and it performs to your satisfaction, dont fix what isn’t broken.
I care -- perhaps others have fired those rounds under more varied conditions and loads than I have and would have insight into the question. I care what others are saying/doing because my experience isn't the sum total of all knowledge out there.

I care -- perhaps others have fired those rounds under more varied conditions and loads than I have and would have insight into the question. I care what others are saying/doing because my experience isn't the sum total of all knowledge out there.
Unless your hand loaded rounds are going to be fired in their weapons, it doesn’t matter.