• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Ammo for ground hog control

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I've been using Remington YellowJackets for general pest control. It is the only hyper-velocity ammo that shoots reliably through my 10/22. While it cycles fine, it doesn't group well at all. I've got some Federal Spitfire that groups well, but jams every 2nd or 3rd shot.

Now that I'm shooting some match grade ammo, and seeing just how huge the difference is in accuracy, I'm wondering if it would be effective for pest control? I'm back to thinking one well placed (std velocity solid nose) shot is better than one (hyper velocity hollow point) shot that is not so well placed.

Plus, it would simplify my life not having 2 zeros for my scope - one for match and one for hyper-velocity. And they are not even close. The match needs 20 clicks left and 11 clicks high if the scope is zeroed for the hyper-velocity. The elevation makes sense, but I was suprised by the windage.

Just curious what anyone else uses? Especially if the rifle is your 22 practice gun and your pest control gun.

Thanks.

Re: 22 Ammo for ground hog control

The difference between Match ammo and SV can be a little or a lot. It depends on the ammo and the rifle. If you can find some SV that shoots well in your rifle, then that is what I would use. If not, then find some less-expensive match ammo.

A 40grain bullet at 900+ fps should be more than enough to end a groundhog.

It's normal to have to adjust the elevation for different ammo. The windage worries me. I would check to make sure your scope is mounted correctly and is tracking true.

You might try Remington Subsonic. It is a nasty little hollow point that works well in my 10/22 without breaking the bank Natchez had it on sale/in stock in the low 3$ range.

I anchored a good sized ground hog a couple weeks back at 100 yards with Wolf Match Target.
I shot it through the shoulders and it rolled and kicked but otherwise DRT.

Lately I've been getting more with my 22 pistol and Winchester Power Point and the more accurate Lapua sub sonic HP.
I got one hog a couple years ago with Remington Subsonic at 125 yards.
It was a medium sized one but the bullet went through one shoulder and out the other side.

LoneWolf - SV = standard velocit? If so, that's a good point. I had some CCI std vel that shot well. I don't recall if it was hollow point or not anymore.

As far as the scope - when you say mounted correctly, meaning what? I double checked the torque on the rings and everything was fine. I didn't have enough ammo to do a box test, but I did run the scope up after I zeroed and it went where it should have and came back to zero fine. Repeat to the right and back to zero just fine.

KAZ - I'll take a look at the Rem subsonic. It's worth a try if I find a box locally.

I have a few more types of ammo to try, but so far the Wolf Match Target shoots well from my gun. If I could settle on that ammo for target and pests, I only have to worry about one zero on the scope and one set of drop data. Till I get better with all of this, that is probably a good thing. Plus, having more confidence of being able to make a good first shot is worth something.

Thanks again.

If you have to add windage when you add elevation your scope may be canted or the erector mechanism may not be tracking straight. When I get to a desktop computer I will type out how to check it.

with any new 22lr i buy one box of everything on the shelves and start from there. whats good for one may not be good for another. just take a day and shoot and clean after every round of 10 shots.my best round for my rem 541 t is Winchester power point made in Australia, its hv and hollow point. i try to do only head shots and this stuff is great. i bought 5000 rounds some years ago and do not regret it at all. test and you will find out what yours likes. the object is a quick and clean kill, with good ammo it can be done. dennis

Ok, to check your scope take a long sheet of paper or tape a couple together. Put a small aiming point (shoot-n-see or such) at the bottom. Draw a straight line up from the aiming point with a level. The line should be perfectly plumb (perpendicular to the ground).

With your normal zero, fire a shot at the aiming point.
Dial up 5-10 minutes and fire another shot still aiming at the first aiming point.
repeat until you are at the top of the line or run out of adjustment.

The shots should follow the line.

If they arc off to one side or the other, increasing distance away from the line as your elecation increases then you have a problem. It could be that your scope is canted, OR you could have some internal adjustment issues with your scope.

I've been going with Aguila Match Rifle for a bit now and really like how it hits squirrels and pdogs. It's not as quick as the hypervelocity stuff, closer to 1050, but it closes the deal really well.

I've killed ground hogs with everything from Rem Subsonics, to Eley Tenex, to Winchester Mark III target, CCI, just whatever happened to be handy when the 'hog was spotted. Most shots were between 50 and 100 yards....did have a friend that killed one at 137 yards with Stingers, though.