• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Ammo storage for matches

Poirierpro

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
What do you guys use to store your rounds during matches? Getting tired of SK boxes blowing up on me in my backpack. There’s gotta be some trick box out there...

What do you guys use to store your rounds during matches? Getting tired of SK boxes blowing up on me in my backpack. There’s gotta be some trick box out there...
I bought a lil molle bag and put them in there which is strapped to my backpack. Its approx size is 4in wide 6in tall 2.5in deep rectangular shape works perfect stacked on top of each other. Winter time is a different story.. i use heat packs (hand warmers) and put them in the old trusty styrofoam cooler wrapped in ducttape (the noise drives me nuts) but thats only used below 30° here in northern az.

I bought a lil molle bag and put them in there which is strapped to my backpack. Its approx size is 4in wide 6in tall 2.5in deep rectangular shape works perfect stacked on top of each other. Winter time is a different story.. i use heat packs (hand warmers) and put them in the old trusty styrofoam cooler wrapped in ducttape (the noise drives me nuts) but thats only used below 30° here in northern az.
And the cooler isn't brought to each c.o.f. i just make trips to the truck, good for meditation and planning your 100 pts.c.o.f. lol where im from the duct tape is called alabama chrome...

I like the little plastic boxes that CCI ammo comes in. Ive ever got a few of old Remington ones that are likely older than I am.

I wish there was a great option for 22 match ammo storage. I feel like the issue stems from the lube; otherwise I’d just throw them in a bulk bag but everything sticks to them!! The high speed 22 ammo cases are just too big. So far the 50rnd ELEY plastic ammo boxes have been the best.

Reactions: Poirierpro
I wish there was a great option for 22 match ammo storage. I feel like the issue stems from the lube; otherwise I’d just throw them in a bulk bag but everything sticks to them!! The high speed 22 ammo cases are just too big. So far the 50rnd ELEY plastic ammo boxes have been the best.
100% agree! And I fear that throwing them in a bulk bag will tweak/dent a round.

I’ve never not been able to carry around a MTM 50cal ammo can which houses my rear bag and brick of ammo, ear pro, two pens, and sometimes a piece of paper. Always worked for me

This one would probably rattle less. Or just leave the cardboard box inside the plastic?

Link to Amazon
The issue i ran into with the 100 rnd blue mtm cases is you cant pick up a rnd and if you do like you can with sk or lapua slide the box for the 10 you need then your good to go. Match ammo is slicker than a snail in a jar of snot... I just leave them in there box and walk back to my backpack everytime i am done shooting load up my next 10 and gtg...

Reactions: Just Chuck
The issue i ran into with the 100 rnd blue mtm cases is you cant pick up a rnd and if you do like you can with sk or lapua slide the box for the 10 you need then your good to go. Match ammo is slicker than a snail in a jar of snot... I just leave them in there box and walk back to my backpack everytime i am done shooting load up my next 10 and gtg...
The one I linked carries them bullet down so you are grabbing the rim. It also holds each round in its little cubby instead of in its little box.

Only thing I dont know is how it would handle the build of up lube on the inside. Nothing a 22cal bore mop wouldn't clean out if it got bad over time.

Or you can break the bank and buy 4-5 10 rounder vuduu mags and out in kydex,or some sort of belt holster thingy.... Not all 4-5 at once tho one in rifle one in holster then reload from backpack...

I bought a few years back a lil camo material / elastic ammo holder for my .260 and my 6.5x47L but wish they made them for rimfire... Bought them from s.a.p. short action precision

I use a wooden box cut in the same style as one of these for 3P smallbore.

image.jpg
I either reuse old CCI boxes with the slide top, or hinged versions of the boxes shown above. I think the hinge is well worth the extra dollar on an ammo box. Easier to get the rounds out from the back row. And they’ll lay flat on the bench or ground and save you flipping the whole box over and spilling your ammo in the dirt. Cut a little square of the cheapest thinnest camping pad or open cell foam you can find and stick that in the lid.

Pelican 1020 Micro case can hold three 50-round boxes of SK / Lapua. You can also get a fancy insert for the 1020 if you want to pimp it out.

Pelican 1020 Micro case can hold three 50-round boxes of SK / Lapua. You can also get a fancy insert for the 1020 if you want to pimp it out.

Do you know if the 1040 can hold 4?

200 round box available from Vudoo or InflectionDE.com

It holds 2 spare mags that are visible plus 2 more down underneath the shell tray.
8CD76742-20B3-434E-AA99-E7889E87818F.jpeg

View attachment 7499803
I either reuse old CCI boxes with the slide top, or hinged versions of the boxes shown above. I think the hinge is well worth the extra dollar on an ammo box. Easier to get the rounds out from the back row. And they’ll lay flat on the bench or ground and save you flipping the whole box over and spilling your ammo in the dirt. Cut a little square of the cheapest thinnest camping pad or open cell foam you can find and stick that in the lid.
Even a folded paper towel works

Mostly in magazines, but have the Marbles CATCH 22 AMMO CARRIER with BELT CLIP. It has a top slide that has detents and holds 50rds in 10 holes with 5rds per hole. Can also be used with other Rimfire rounds. Also just got an idea of saving the plastic trays that sometimes come in the 50rd cardboard boxes and gluing them together to use in a small Plano waterproof case.

Attachments

• p_579000180_1.jpg
    p_579000180_1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 40
View attachment 7500125
Insert I make for the Pelican 1040. Holds 200 rounds, and when used with the solid color 1040, not the clear tops, needs no additional foam to protect the rounds. I can also print team names, ammo choice, or whatever in the insert’s visible face.

How do I get one of these? That is awesome!

Been using pelican 1040 or 1060 (i think) - it'll fit 6 boxes of ammo just fine...

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201218-220734_Instagram.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201218-220734_Instagram.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 142
My 3D printed Vudoo/AICS Mag blocks are available again. New design that doesn't interfere with the Vudoo extraction hooks.

I'm also doing an insert for the pelican 1040 case to hold 200 rounds of 22LR. The stock case is designed around the Lapua / SK ammo racks, but I can modify it for other types if needed.

I have some pre-printed inserts available.

If you want your name or customized text in it I would have to print those to order.

Colors currently available are gold, copper, silver, transparent red, solid red, navy blue, silk blue, silk Orange, and matte black. I only have a couple of each color pre-printed, if the color isn't available I can print more. PM me if interested.

IMG_2411.JPG

signal-2021-01-22-085940.jpg

PXL_20210108_143143796.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• signal-2021-01-22-085808.jpg
    signal-2021-01-22-085808.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 89
I've looked at options for a while. between MTM boxes, trying to make my own, ags precision, and short range precision. I decided to place an order with @zenbike. dude is good on comms and product seems promising. I'll keep you guys in the loop after product received.

Reactions: zenbike
I've looked at options for a while. between MTM boxes, trying to make my own, ags precision, and short range precision. I decided to place an order with @zenbike. dude is good on comms and product seems promising. I'll keep you guys in the loop after product received.
For what it's worth, I've got three available at the moment if anybody wants to check my original post.

Last edited:
I used the Pelican Ruck R20 at NRL22 Nationals last year. It works very well and is waterproof. The only downside is it is heavy. But it worked very well.

E3C6B62B-FEB1-4EA6-8BE0-762FE125D29F.jpeg

Attachments

• 18735804-6839-415B-8244-2A05E4652EC8.jpeg
    18735804-6839-415B-8244-2A05E4652EC8.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 123
Mostly in magazines, but have the Marbles CATCH 22 AMMO CARRIER with BELT CLIP. It has a top slide that has detents and holds 50rds in 10 holes with 5rds per hole. Can also be used with other Rimfire rounds. Also just got an idea of saving the plastic trays that sometimes come in the 50rd cardboard boxes and gluing them together to use in a small Plano waterproof case.
Ditto on the Catch 22