• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 ammo testing - alternative methodology?

Tentman

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2020
Gidday Guys. I'm gonna be on crutches and not driving for at least 8 weeks so gotta figure out some shooting I can do within staggering distance from the kitchen table!

I have a firing point for 22s just out the door, with backstops at 100M and 200 Yards - now I ain't gonna be getting up to check or replace a target every few rounds.

So I was thinking of getting a couple of new gongs made and using them to test a range of the cheaper 22 ammos like Norma Tac 22, CCI SV, Eley Club and maybe others but I'm down in New Zealand so no Lapua and precious little choice in other match ammos.

I live in an area where we have lots of windless mornings, I have two "proven" rifles. I can have gongs made up, if I use a gong with a hole in the middle it will give me the ability to call and record a "central" and I'll set them up so a complete miss is also recordable

I'm thinking of using a 4"/100mm gong with a 1.25"/30mm "central" for 100M and a 6"/150mm gong with a 3"/75mm "central" for 200Y. I'll test each ammo batch at 50M first in both rifles with two 10 shot groups. Then I'll put 25 rounds through each rifle at both distances, 5 shots to ensure zero and 20 to test. I'll record the number of hits and centrals. I might even be able to chrony all shots and match these to hits/centrals.

Thoughts/suggestions on this methodology.?

I like your "old guy" imagination! I made swingers with old conveyor belting. Made small targets with grade 8 bolts and double nuts. At 50 yards I have 1/2", 3/4", 1", 2" at 100 1", 2", 3" and at 200 10". 6 inch at 200 is too small for me. We have wind! I have got to take some pictures. Hung everything on tee posts and a 2x4 except the 200 yd. That's made for a 10 inch 1/2 inch thick gong.

Bill

Gidday Guys. I'm gonna be on crutches and not driving for at least 8 weeks so gotta figure out some shooting I can do within staggering distance from the kitchen table!

I have a firing point for 22s just out the door, with backstops at 100M and 200 Yards - now I ain't gonna be getting up to check or replace a target every few rounds.

So I was thinking of getting a couple of new gongs made and using them to test a range of the cheaper 22 ammos like Norma Tac 22, CCI SV, Eley Club and maybe others but I'm down in New Zealand so no Lapua and precious little choice in other match ammos.

I live in an area where we have lots of windless mornings, I have two "proven" rifles. I can have gongs made up, if I use a gong with a hole in the middle it will give me the ability to call and record a "central" and I'll set them up so a complete miss is also recordable

I'm thinking of using a 4"/100mm gong with a 1.25"/30mm "central" for 100M and a 6"/150mm gong with a 3"/75mm "central" for 200Y. I'll test each ammo batch at 50M first in both rifles with two 10 shot groups. Then I'll put 25 rounds through each rifle at both distances, 5 shots to ensure zero and 20 to test. I'll record the number of hits and centrals. I might even be able to chrony all shots and match these to hits/centrals.

Thoughts/suggestions on this methodology.?
I like to use small steel with a backstop that allows me to spot impacts. Like 2”-4” at 200. Of course, decent glass is required to see clearly. I’ve been using Eley Match, a 12T IBI barrel, and an Athlon Ares ETR on 16X. The Eley is step up for me this year. So far, the consistency has made me quite happy. Better than SK stuff for vertical spread.

If I had the luxury of a range at home I would have at least 2 of the "KYL" Rimfire targets with one set up at 50 yds and another at 100 yards.
Targets range from 2" down to 1/4" in increments of 1/4".

Shooting at a 1/4" target at 100 yards should be a decent challenge in how many consecutive hits can you land along with the spinning targets not much question whether you register a hit or not.
783993.jpg

Reactions: Westcoast308
I use 12" gongs and shoot groups on steel out to 400yds. I put a bullet hit on steel and shoot at the hit. I can get 4 or 5 groups, depending on how far I am shooting, before having to paint. I also have gongs down to 1". Having a dirt berms is great for misses.