• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 ammo thru mkII part 3

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
PART 3 - 22 AMMO THRU MKII MULTI YARD

MULTI YARD RATING (MYR) - Rates ammo on best avg. performance at 50 and 100 yards using data taken and results. MYR/CBR = CBR of 50+100 divided by 2, MYR/DBR = DBR of 50+100 divided by 2, MYR/CR = CR of 50+100 divided by 2, MYR/VR = VR of 50+100 divided by 2, MYR/OAR = THE MYR'S CBR+DBR+CR+VR divided by 4. Flyer Ratios are also for both ranges, 30 rds total each brand. Also took avg. grps. from 50+100 divided by 2 to give an average group between both ranges. The MYR would be extremely valuable for a silhoutte match where various ranges are shot through the match.

1. Wolf MatchTarget-MYR/CBR .995, MYR/DBR .925, MYR/CR .978, MYR/VR ..855, MYR/FR 3/30, MYR/OAR .938, avg. MYR grp -1.5"

2. Wolf Match Extra-MYR/CBR .915, MYR/DBR 1.25, MYR/CR 1.08, MYR/VR ..956, MYR/FR 3/30. MYR/OAR 1.22, avg. MYR grp -1.62"

3. Aguila Golden Eagle Match- MYR/CBR 1.29, MYR/DBR .915, MYR/CR 1.10, MRY/VR .955, MYR/FR 5/30, MYR/OAR 1.00, avg. MYR grp 1.13" (the suprisingly small groups shot at 50 yds and the price of the ammo helped it to reach 3rd in the multi yard rankings. the wolf was a bit more consistant on average at both ranges).

4. Federal G. Match-MYR/CBR 1.25, MYR/DBR 1.42, MYR/CR 1.17, MYR/VR 1.16, MYR/FR 7/30, MYR/OAR 1.25, avg. MYR grp 1.62"

5. Rem/Eley T. Rif.- MYR/CBR 1.5, MYR/DBR 1.36, MYR/CR 1.58, MYR/VR ..925, MYR/FR 8/30, MYR/OAR 1.34, avg. MYR grp -2"

6. CCI Green Tag- MYR/CBR 1.21, MYR/DBR 1.75, MYR/CR 1.48, MYR/VR 1.29, MYR/FR 6/30, MYR/OAR 1.43, avg. MYR grp +1.88"

7. Winc. S.X.T-22-MYR/CBR 1.33, MYR/DBR 1.88, MYR/CR 1.60, MYR/VR 1.39, MYR/FR 7/30, MYR/OAR 1.55, avg. MYR grp +2"

8. Rem. Target- MYR/CBR 1.63, MYR/DBR 2, MYR/CR 1.81, MYR/VR 1.56, MYR/FR 9/30, MYR/OAR 1.75, avg. MYR grp +2.25

9. Rem. Sub Sonic- open and erratic groups at 100 (over 4.5") could not be measured accurately or consistently.

(in all fairness to the other ammo, the aguila was weighed and the most accurate lot was shot (50.6 thru 50.9)

When you look at the different #'s and categories throughout this series, you can judge an ammo that suits your type of shooting (cleaning barrel between shots - CBR and the size of groups), using a dirty barrel or sustained fire (DBR and the size of groups), the price / economy / value of an ammo vs. performance (VR), and how many flyers to expect, using an ammo at just 50, just 100, or both (MYR). Although these ratings are made up by me (as far as I know don't resemble anyone else's, if so I apologize), they do reflect the overall outcome of the ammo based on real world data.
I hope to test others in the future (Aquila, Lapua, etc.) as time, weather, and funds allow, and maybe a high velocity 22 test, but until then, this is what you can expect out of the ammo tested through a MKII.

"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
TOP PREDATOR - 2009

Re: .22 ammo thru mkII part 3

thanks, i tried to post some charts and pictures (still can't post pictures, (HELP!) that made it easier to image along with some other data, but i had too many words to describe my "original rating system" and couldn't fit it. i hope that what i did post conveyed what i was trying to accomplish. but even if that was too confusing, i still put in the groupings with a clean and dirty barrel, which i hope kinda cleared it up.

thanks for the data.
It makes me feel better about last weekends shooting with my stock beater 1022 @50y with western bulk 22lr I was under 1" 10 round groups and right at 1" with 25 year old cci minimags.
I was thinking it needed a bull barrel and stock but I guess not.

I am suprised that you were having that much trouble with remington subsonic. I shot lowlight's target @ 100yds about 2 weeks ago and if the shots weren't touching the dot the were within 1.5" of it. I had wind gusts up to 10mph that day too.

With that said, I have not tried to shoot groups with it at 100yds. I will have to try it. Everyone should know that what may shoot well in one persons gun may not in someone else's.

Great review TopPredator!

My complements for doing the testing and for sharing. Well organized and informative. Not exhaustive...too many different ammo builders and barrels out there...but, basically in line with my experience. Josh D. asked about Aguila...in my experience, limited of course, aguila was a second to Wolf...but not by much. Both of them don't please me in my .22 top end for my 1911...they are accurate but the debris generated is considerable and bits and pieces of the burning powder are still hot when ejection occurs. If the wind is in your face, uncomfortable.

have no idea how to get it to be a sticky, but i do take the suggestion as a compliment and thanks! perhaps there is something in faqs. to reply to the guy with the Rem subsonics, i was first surprised how well they did at 50, then double surprise how heywire, at least for me, they were at 100. i shot them over again, and same results again, at least for me through the mkII.