• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 ARC? 22DPC? 22 Grendel?

firas

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
So I'm wanting to build a .224 cal short action with more goose than a .223 and avoid the .224 Valk's bolt face diameter. I've heard good things about some wildcats like the .22 Grendel and similar.

My main goal besides throwing 75 and 88gr ELDMs fast while using around 30gr of powder, is to hopefully avoid any painful brass prep to convert it from the parent case.

Is anyone aware of a .22ARC being tested or played with? (6mm ARC necked down to .224)

More or less, I'm wanting to avoid necking down a 6.5 Grendel.

.22DPC from Eagle Eye Shooting is basically what I'm wanting and wanted to see what my options are.

Edit: 22Dasher?

Last edited:
Depends on how much barrel life and how much velocity you want.

Check out the 22br thread. Looks very interesting with a simple size down. Or to juice things up, dasher or gt. Alpha makes 22 gt brass if you’re worried about that.

Reactions: Lightning8
So I'm wanting to build a .224 cal short action with more goose than a .223 and avoid the .224 Valk's bolt face diameter. I've heard good things about some wildcats like the .22 Grendel and similar.

My main goal besides throwing 75 and 88gr ELDMs fast while using around 30gr of powder, is to hopefully avoid any painful brass prep to convert it from the parent case.

Is anyone aware of a .22ARC being tested or played with? (6mm ARC necked down to .224)

More or less, I'm wanting to avoid necking down a 6.5 Grendel.

.22DPC from Eagle Eye Shooting is basically what I'm wanting and wanted to see what my options are.

Edit: 22Dasher?

What action do you want to use?

Define fast for 75ELDMs? I load regular 223 in a short action bolt gun loaded long (limit of short action AICS mag). How about 223AI for a little more velocity? 22 Nosler never really caught on but that is an option and 22 Nosler ammo/brass always on sale at Nosler

I've got a Curtis Valor SA and have the .223 bolt and .308 bolt so the Dasher and 22-250 would be fine. I'm hoping to get an 88 around 3k with a shorter barrel.

Honestly didn't think about the 22-250, though I would need a fast twist barrel.

Define fast for 75ELDMs? I load regular 223 in a short action bolt gun loaded long (limit of short action AICS mag). How about 223AI for a little more velocity? 22 Nosler never really caught on but that is an option and 22 Nosler ammo/brass always on sale at Nosler
Hmmm, also another option I didn't think of. (22Nosler)

Recently bought a 24 inch 22GT prefit for my Valor to try. Alpha brass. 85.5 Bergers. No results yet. If I had access to 308 bolt face I would look at 22BR, 22BRA, and 22GT. Big threads here on loading 88s for these. Lots of discussion of barrel twist and bore choices.

Recently bought a 24 inch 22GT prefit for my Valor to try. Alpha brass. 85.5 Bergers. No results yet. If I had access to 308 bolt face I would look at 22BR, 22BRA, and 22GT. Big threads here on loading 88s for these. Lots of discussion of barrel twist and bore choices.
Thanks, I'll make sure to check those out.

Definitely happy with my Valor and I'm excited to try out the rimfire conversion when I get my hands on it this month

I've got a Curtis Valor SA and have the .223 bolt and .308 bolt so the Dasher and 22-250 would be fine. I'm hoping to get an 88 around 3k with a shorter barrel.

Honestly didn't think about the 22-250, though I would need a fast twist barrel.

The very easiest larger capacity 22 cartridge to make work, mechanically, for that action is probably 22GT. No special mags, bolts, or tuning.

22gt is your smallest capacity option for off the shelf (non-223/valk) brass. I'm getting around 2930 with 34-35g of h4350 with 88s from a 19". Grendel will need a different face. Neckdown from 6.5g is painless, but grendel to arc is "involved". I would not buy into the velocity numbers or any sweeping statements posted by eagle eye...even if they are true, they are well over pressure. I took my 26" 22grendel bolt gun close to 3k with 88s and 28+ of sw precision...lapua brass lasted a few firings. 85.5s will get you more speed at the same coal because of shorter bearing surface.

223ai is a solid choice. Else 22creedmoor, and load it light. You will get 88s to 3000 with a 26" tube noooo problem.

You can run it 3350fps, however I strongly suggest running it slower, with a slightly slower powder and lower charge weight. 22cm will burn the crap of a barrel, fast.

I say a 22cm over a 22-250, mainly for feeding. 250s feed goofy from body taper, unless you Ackley it.

22br, 22dasher, 22gt, 22x47lap, 22xc (same case as the 22-250), 22cm. That's the size line up. There's others, but this is stuff you can wildcat "easily".

Probably because 223AI is easier with the same capacity. And 223 is even easier than that with about the same capacity. And you don't get the beat up brass you seem to get with the bigger bolt faces in the AR. I like mine still though.

224 valk is awesome. I know a guy local to me who runs a bolt action with one. Actually 2 people !. Both love it.

Both hand load. May have something to do with it. Can't even buy factory 224 valk here that I'm aware of.

Which direction did you end up going? Im torn between 223ai and a faster 22br, grendel, or gt. Ive got plenty of 223 brass, would need dies. Would be used for calling predators, ideal bullets 53-60gr, and feeds from magazine. I dont have an action but thinking origin, kauger, or mack bros

224 valk is awesome. I know a guy local to me who runs a bolt action with one. Actually 2 people !. Both love it.

Both hand load. May have something to do with it. Can't even buy factory 224 valk here that I'm aware of.
I'm getting great results from my 224 Valkyrie AR. I love it too. Hope they don't stop making factory ammo anytime soon.

Reactions: iceng
Anybody making uppers in 22arc now?
From hornady:
IMG_7996.jpeg

This is just being released though, so it might be a little bit before its available?

Woohoo!! I just don't like the boltface, but at least I can play around with factory brass and support from Hornady. It would be nice to see some Sierra gamekings in the 90gr weight, though the Barnes LRX in 77gr would be a killer setup for larger than varmint shooting.

Anyone know what barrel length they are using for velocity on the 22 ARC?

Edit: listened to the Hornady podcast and they are saying those velocities are from 24” barrels. Curious what velocities are from a 20” barrel

Last edited:
I'm also assuming that the stated numbers are from gas gun pressures, and running it at bolt gun pressure will give you a good bump/allow you to run a shorter barrel.

I've got a howa mini action in 6arc now that's destined for a new barrel in a few months to play with