• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 BR in the new AI 10 round 223 magazine???

2 dogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2005
Texas
I was looking at my new AI 10 round magazines and was wondering if a 22 BR would work....so I tried a round but it wouldnt fit in from the top. Looks like a bit of material would have to be removed with a file from the feed lip area. Next I pulled the base pad and dropped in a 22 BR from the bottom and the 22 BR sits a bit too low, but overall it looks like some careful removal of the feed lips would yield a workable 22 BR magazine rifle. Capacity looks like it would be around 7 rounds or so....

I cant be the first one to have thought of this am I?

Re: 22 BR in the new AI 10 round 223 magazine???

You can make the 6br case feed well in a mag as long as it is a center feed mag. The staggered feed mags have issues. I am gathering parts as we speak for a mag fed 6br as a light carry coyote rifle.

Now Im wondering if anyone here has a magazine fed 22BR?

I have a mag fed 6mm dasher that works great in 308 aics mags in my fn spr action.

Is that CRF? I hadnt thought of that. My 22 BR is on a Remington 700....

yes sir it is controlled round feed and that really helps, it works alot better than the 700sa I tried it in. if I could find a ss win 70 sa crf that would be the best, but second choice is the fn spr actions at cdnn they are a great deal at $350+shipping

I have a buddy who is using his aics to feed a 6br with no mods at all. Drops them in and shoots them without any feed problems that I could see the other day. Don't know why a 22br would not fit also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at my new AI 10 round magazines and was wondering if a 22 BR would work....so I tried a round but it wouldnt fit in from the top. Looks like a bit of material would have to be removed with a file from the feed lip area. Next I pulled the base pad and dropped in a 22 BR from the bottom and the 22 BR sits a bit too low, but overall it looks like some careful removal of the feed lips would yield a workable 22 BR magazine rifle. Capacity looks like it would be around 7 rounds or so....

I cant be the first one to have thought of this am I?</div></div>

Have you done this modification? I had high hopes for the AI .223 mags, but when they decided on polymer vs metal for the mag body, it basically nixed anything fatter than the .223 case. If you have made this work, I would be excited as hopefully it will feed the grendel round too.

Any pictures of the mods you did would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Re the 6BR functioning in the AICS mags, The 6mmBR OAL is some longer than that of the 22BR. Im not sure the shorted 22br will work as well. I may have to try that idea and see....

Dave, I have not tried this modification....and Im not sure I can get the 22BR to sit in the feed lips right. I bet one would have a better chance with the Grendel round tho....

Any other thoughts here?

Well, not that a whole lot of guys give a red rats rear end but I was able after a considerable amount of cut and try to get the 10 shot AI 223 magazine to feed 22 BR. Magazine capacity turns out to be 7 rounds and feeds like a champ.

My thanks to PeteC, my friend of nearly 30 years, for his help on this project!!!

OK, after some testing the 10 round AI mags did not prove to be reliable. I think the round sits too far back in the magazine. I got it to work with an action bolted into a stock without a barrel on it, but on installation of the barrel, feeding proved spotty. Perhaps with a shorter or a longer OAL it might change...

I went back to my origial plan, which was to modify a standard 5 round AI magazine. I made a press fit spacer and using a modified Rem SA 700 follower I was able to get much better feeding. Perfect so far....Magazine capacity however is only 4 rounds due to the thickness of the Rem follower.

Here are some pics of my lightweight 22 BR repeater. Bell and Carlson stock, Badger bottom metal, Hart 1/9 light varmint, and jewel trigger.
066-1.jpg

064-1.jpg

065.jpg