• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 BRA

NFshooter150

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2022
Idaho
Alright everyone let's start a .22 BRA thread to keep the BRA load talks out of the .22 BR thread

Reactions: bar_n
Ya me too I'm new to the cartridge doing a build with it now and looking forward to sharing load development and seeing other people's results

Bat machine hammerhead and bartlein barrel all done and ready to go! Big thanks to blagg rifles for the 1 week turnaround time!
Screenshot_20240321_123538_Gallery.jpg

Honestly I don't know I never shot it without them they are easy to install and this chassis feels way more dead then my mpa does which I guess it means it's doing its job lol

Reactions: longrange772
Finally my build project is complete!
Bat hammerhead action 22BRA
Bartlein MTU 7.5t 28"
Element Theos 6-36
MPA BA mount
MDT ACC Elite
TT Diamond Pro Curved
Accutac FC5
EcTuner Next Gen brake

Huge shout out to Blagg Rifles, Matt at 1791, TylerN, and SCR for helping me get everything I needed!
Screenshot_20240329_102307_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240329_102237_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240329_102154_Gallery.jpg

Finally my build project is complete!
Bat hammerhead action 22BRA
Bartlein MTU 7.5t 28"
Element Theos 6-36
MPA BA mount
MDT ACC Elite
TT Diamond Pro Curved
Accutac FC5
EcTuner Next Gen brake

Huge shout out to Blagg Rifles, Matt at 1791, TylerN, and SCR for helping me get everything I needed!
View attachment 8384242View attachment 8384243View attachment 8384244
Gotta report back now it shoots soon.

I'm watching out for in stock notifications for Lapua 6BR brass to start fire forming a new batch of brass.

Ya I'm at the range right now I'm gonna keep an eye out for lapua as well.. idk I'm fire forming alpha right now and 80elds with 28.5 varget is at 3000 which is alot more then I thought it would be. Also I've got a little bit of heavy lift and a slight mark

Reactions: TylerN
This alpha brass is weird. So on my SAC comparator for the 40 degree shoulder 22cal the go gauge measured 1.109. I created a false shoulder on the brass and it measured 1.116 so that it would maintain contact with the bolt face. Which is felt like it did and had a hard bolt close but idk about that method because if you do chamber one and then take it out (which I had to do because it wouldn't fire) and then measure it again and it measured 1.104. I think probably the best way to fireform this is to jam the bullet in the lands and pray it fires so I don't make a huge powder mess in my action. Also a fired piece of brass is now measured 1.115. It seems weird to me how a fired piece of brass is now measuring .006 longer then the go gauge. And trust me I checked the go gauge I couldn't get the bolt to close on the go gauge with a piece of tape on the head or with a standard 6br gauge which is .004 longer. Anybody else had issues like this with alpha bra brass?

I a really just got 2 boxes of Lapua BR brass. I'm curious Tyler when sizing down the lapua to 22 do you also leave a slight false shoulder to where it's like .004 longer headspace than the chamber?

I a really just got 2 boxes of Lapua BR brass. I'm curious Tyler when sizing down the lapua to 22 do you also leave a slight false shoulder to where it's like .004 longer headspace than the chamber?
I didn't understand the 22 BRA reamer on my first batch of brass and I didn't leave a false shoulder. I incorrectly assumed fireforming 22 BRA was like fire forming 6 BRA where the neck-shoulder junction will already have a slight crush fit on the brass. So I fireformed my first brass all wrong and ended up stretching the base of the brass and having all sorts of pressure issues because of that. Here's an example of some of that brass I ruined, if you look at the base you can see a "belt" like a 300WM where the weakened base wall of the case is budging out with a charge that shouldn't be doing this.

PXL_20231230_190849668.jpg

Whoops... lesson learned. NFshooter150 knows where I went wrong here, but for everyone's benifit.... There is no standard 22 BRA reamer of course because it's a wildcat, but I think a common reamer design places the neck like this. First the original 30 degree shoulder of a 6 BR is projected down to the new 22 cal shoulder diameter, and this moves the start of the shoulder-neck junction forward. Then starting from that new-forward neck-shoulder junction the Ackley Improved 40 degree shoulder is drawn. The result is the shoulder is pushed out more compared to a 6 BR to 6 BRA fireforming. The key to fireforming the 22 BRA following this reamer design is to jam it or crush fit it good then fireform it out.

@NFshooter150, next time I fireform for my 22 BRA I'm going to crush fit the shoulder by not necking down the 6mm neck very far. I've had good success fireforming 6 Dasher from 6 BR this way. And I never measured with calipers how far out my false shoulder is from the new shoulder but it's a lot more than 0.004". I set this false shoulder distance by backing out my die 1 revolution. The result is a very forgiving false shoulder. Here's an example of 6 BR being fireformed out to 6 Dasher, expanded out with a 25 cal. mandrel, sizing die backed out 1 rev then resized to 6mm.

PXL_20231230_164303583.jpg

I'm going to follow that same process for 22 BRA once I get some new 6 BR brass, I'm watching out for Lapua to come back in stock.

Dang I probably should've waited before starting to size down this lapua brass lol I left like a .005 false shoulder which it is a really tough bolt close.. maybe I will also jam them into the lands too

Reactions: TylerN
So I went out today to fireform lapua br brass and had 75 of them and they ran flawlessly no pressure signs all of them formed out to headspace of 1.113. And just ran great I'll share the target pic but man I'm so much more pleased with lapua then I was the 6bra alpha brass. On the alpha I had 11 of them not fire and they ranged from 1.113 to 1.118. And had alot of pressure signs and everything.
Screenshot_20240407_193027_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240407_193052_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Has anyone tried 95smk? I ran them at around 27gr of varget with pretty good results but only running 2780. With test loads I found anything above 28gr had constant signs of pressure. Really would like to see if there is another node around 2850.

Has anyone tried 95smk? I ran them at around 27gr of varget with pretty good results but only running 2780. With test loads I found anything above 28gr had constant signs of pressure. Really would like to see if there is another node around 2850.
What was your coal how close to jam and your case capacity I could check in GRT and see what it says for pressure

With hornady gauge my bto is 2.005. Roughly .050 jump. Using jam method it varies for me + or - .003 on my jam measurement. I have a .150 freebore but I still am seating way down in the neck.

Probably high 38 to 39 even the neck capacity would be the only difference vs 6bra and I think it’s around 39.5

GRT is saying for the 90s they don't have the 95s in their database but for the 90s at 2.365 with 38.5 case capacity that 29.5 is right at max pressure so 95s probably max is 28.8ish maybe 29 but every chamber can be different. If you have data on the projectile length and sectional density and then also chronograph speeds I could true it and it gets very accurate with pressure

Sectional says .27 and projectile length it’s 1.290 +- . Last data I have is 70* with varget 27.6 yielded really good numbers at 2845.

The more the merrier! Especially since we can't post in the .22br forum. I finally got 100 pieces of lapua and 100 alpha fire formed now it's time for the development to begin! Gonna start with n150 and the 85.5

What is everyone's recommendation for a freebore length for the 80vld to 85.5 lrht? I currently have mine done in .160 but to get the 80vld close to the lands it's barely in the case. It should be good for 88s and 90s but for the 80s I'm thinking maybe closer to .100