• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Cal .224 80 gr ELD-X®

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Maybe I'm fucking blind cause I don't see where its mentioned but does anybody know if Hornady's new 80 ELDX can be loaded to mag length AR15?

I don't have it handy but the Hornady 10th edition supposedly says the 80gr should be loaded to 2.390".

Hornady rep stated the 80gr was not intended for mag length.

Plenty of data out there for the 80gr Sierra @ 2.260" so maybe it's possible. I have some but never thought about loading them at mag length.

Reactions: STI_1911_Guy
I don't have it handy but the Hornady 10th edition supposedly says the 80gr should be loaded to 2.390".

Hornady rep stated the 80gr was not intended for mag length.

Plenty of data out there for the 80gr Sierra @ 2.260" so maybe it's possible. I have some but never thought about loading them at mag length.
wow, thats quite a bit over mag length so thats probably a no go. I cull a fair amount of deer and due to circumstances I use the AR with 77smk mostly and I have never had an issue but I would like to have tried the eldx if I could.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

75 ELDM is a good killer, from what I’ve read. The 73 gr ELDM was designed for 2.260”, I believe. Might research it.

P

The 80gr ELD-X won't work at magazine length in .223/5.56 AR-15's. It will work magazine length in 22 ARC @2.260" or with AICS in a bolt action in .223/5.56. It was designed with .22 Creedmoor use in mind.

Reactions: STI_1911_Guy
Does anyone have any idea if how they might run in a 223AI with a max COAL of 2.550 or less?
Any idea what the expansion threshold might be? 1800fps give or take?

The 80gr ELD-X won't work at magazine length in .223/5.56 AR-15's. It will work magazine length in 22 ARC @2.260" or with AICS in a bolt action in .223/5.56. It was designed with .22 Creedmoor use in mind.

I got some to try in 5.56 loads for manually loading. Haven’t developed any loads yet but I’m hoping it’s easy to find a node like an SMK rather than a VLD. But, I’m not optimistic.

Reactions: strow
Does anyone have any idea if how they might run in a 223AI with a max COAL of 2.550 or less?
Any idea what the expansion threshold might be? 1800fps give or take?
2.550 you should be fine.

Reactions: strow