• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 cal wildcat from 6.8 SPC

Natty Bumpo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Missouri
Picked up a 6.8 Rem SPC case at the range recently. Neat little case. Seemed to me if it was necked down to .22 cal it would be a nice compromise between the .223 Rem and .22-250 Rem. More velocity than a .223, but easier on barrels than a .22-250.

I assume this has been done already. Anybody know what kind of velocities they're getting?

Re: .22 cal wildcat from 6.8 SPC

Yes, I was thinking that last night.
There would be enough room to seat out the 80 grainers and keep it mag length. Should be able to break 3000 fps with them easy.
I'm interested in this as a match cartridge for a standard AR platform. Shoot 80's for the rapids and single load 90's for 600 yards.

google 20
PDK (prairie dog killer), I have wanted to do this for an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume this has been done already. Anybody know what kind of velocities they're getting? </div></div>

Actually if you looking to get out of the varmint cartridge the 6.8spc is a very good round. The grains the have avaliable so far are 85gr to 130gr. The 85gr TSX have proved to be a really good round for both pigs and deer. If you looking for bigger game I have talked with one guy who has taken a elk out at 372yds with an 18" barrel with the 110gr Nosler Accubonds.

As far as velocity they average any where from 2300-3200fps going from 130gr-85gr

If want more info on the 6.8 round the have an entire forum dedicated for that round www.68forums.com sign up is free but you will have to sign up in order to see threads as its there way of cutting back on spam bots.