• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Creedmoor factory-ish rifles? And timing

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So, I’m a varmint hunter, prairie dogs mostly, that’s thinking of branching out to coyotes. Covid has slowed down that process, with all the barriers to talking to land owners and even interfering with getting together with my brother.

Also, I’m not reloader. Not happening. I prefer having things set up right by someone else and no mucking about.

Anyway, I was on the lookout for a 22-250, a caliber I’ve always wanted. In searches, up pops this scoundrel of a caliber, the 22 Creedmoor, of which Hornady has a hand. I love other Hornady co-created or resurrected calibers like the .204, the 6.5 Creed, and to a lesser extent the 17 Hornet and 17 HMR, so the fact that Hornady is Involved really piques my interest.

My question is do you know of any factory-ish rifles out there for 22 Creed? I see Horizon has one for $2600 built off of a Bergara. Anyone else? That’s sort of my upper limit.

I’m a bit conflicted as to waiting for 22 Creedmoor getting fully-fledged vs buying a 22-250 and having it reamed out if or when 22 Creed graduates from high school. If it doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell to be released in 2021 I’d just go 22-250 with a faster twist, like 1-9 or 1-8.

When do you guess 22 Creedmoor will be released as a factory cartridge? Any little birdies talking into people’s ears?

Talk to me.

Can't help ya with a factory release date - but I think you'll love the 22 Creed as a LR coyote caliber. I handload but I started out using Copper Creek 75 grain ELD's ammo first. You'll see some shooters with bullet issues once the barrel gets some mileage on it - but - I solved that issue by using Barnes TTSX bullets. All copper construction so I don't worry about the bullet coming apart due to bullet jacket / barrel twist issues. Serious smack down on coyotes. Kinda preferred the Hornady 75 grain ELD's, but the Barnes have been great. Feeds slick from standard AICS magazines. And as a plug for the Hide, I sourced most of my components out of the PX. (y)

You’ll like the 22 creed ive got one I threw together off a trued rem 700 and an xcalibur 18” remage barrel sitting in a t4a. I started off shooting copper creek loaded 95 smk’s and some 90 grain hornady a-tips. It’s a super fun gun to shoot.

I'm pretty sure I'll love it, but does anyone sell prebuilt or semi-custom 22 Creedmoor rifles (besides Horizon)? Yeah, I could buy a custom, but just wanted to explore this.

Not that I’m aware of, I would think you could get into one for about $1500 or so minus glass with a remage barrel and a 700 action. I purchased the majority of my parts thru the px section here.

@Shooter71 will take a factory Tikka T3X 22-250 8 twist and rechamber the barrel to 22 Creed quickly and easily.

This is probably what I'd end up doing if I didn't want to go full custom. There's also multiple custom ammo makers making quality 22CM ammo. Let us know what you come up with and good luck...

Ok, I pussed out. I decided to take the safe/convenient path and bought a Bergara Premier Approach 22-250, which has a 1-9 twist. I got the last year's model, which takes mags. This year's version has a hinged floor plate. I own a 6.5 cm of the exact same rifle, so I know it's good, and the 3 round mags Begara makes are pretty low profile when I'm not on the bench shooting prairie dogs. Below is a stock pic with the 5 rounder.

1606179424315.png

One of my main criteria was that I want a stainless receiver and barrel. The sole 1-8 twist Tikka 22-250 version in the US is black steel. I just hate dealing with rust, as I hunt in the rain sometimes. The Bergara Premier line's receiver/barrel are SS under Cerakote.

Sort of wanted to buy a Tikka Hunter Stainless with the nice fluted barrel, but they don't offer that combo in the USA in 22-250. Was thinking of buying a version with the same diameter bolt, taking the barrel off, and having a smith do up an identical fluted barrel in 22-250. Bah! Too much time and effort right now. I'd like to get out on the prairie. Loved the Tikka's wood stock (dislike their plastic stocks) and slim profile, however, but ultimately went with what I know, which is Rem 700 and Bix n' Andy two-stage triggers. The Bergara-spec'd TriggerTech single stages are nice, but they ain't no Bn'A two-stage (to me).

I also snagged some ammo, 50g Hornady Vmax from the almost bare (virtual) shelves.

Here's my rationale:
  • I want to shoot now
  • I can get 22-250 ammo now, pretty fast if in stock (limited, but…)
  • Research indicates that 1-9 twist will work with 22CM 75-80g bullets (maybe a bit heavier too)
    • I shoot animals, not steel, so I think those weights will work fine. Not trying to hit a tick on a witch's tit (or supernumerary nipple) at 1000yds.
  • If 22 Creedmoor becomes a factory caliber or I want to splurge on the I custom preloaded stuff, I can rechamber the Bergara and I'm set
Maybe this will help someone's thought process. Thanks for taking the time to help me think about it.

Attachments

• 1606179385565.png
    1606179385565.png
    596.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I have a 9 twist 223 and I stabilize 77s just fine @ sea level but me personally, I don't think I'd like to run anything heavier. It looks like a good buy either way and maybe with the faster velocities from 22-250, you might get away with 80s.

I have a 9 twist 223 and I stabilize 77s just fine @ sea level but me personally, I don't think I'd like to run anything heavier. It looks like a good buy either way and maybe with the faster velocities from 22-250, you might get away with 80s.
Well, I don't reload, so the heaviest 22-250 factory ammo I found is the 60g Federal Nosler Partitions, but I think there's a 64g something-or-other factory load. I was just talking about if/when I go to 22CM, I could shoot 75-80s with a 1/9 twist.

LOL. Wait, so you just posted this yesterday asking for advice and yet today you suddenly purchased the 22–250?

Glance back at my original post. The two questions were:
  1. …do you know of any factory-ish rifles out there for 22 Creed? And,
  2. When do you guess 22 Creedmoor will be released as a factory cartridge?
Answers were:
  1. A few custom makers (besides the Horizon one, which is low-run semi-custom)
  2. Not sure
Given that info, I bought a 22-250 that I can immediately use and later convert to 22 Creedmoor and use custom loaded (not by me) ammo or off the shelf (the latter if 22CM becomes a factory caliber).

Not sure what the LOL is, especially if you notice the fact that I mentioned I’m not a reloader. Perhaps you are reading my post like, “Talk me into 22CM,” which I definitely did not write/imply/ask. If I HAD written a question like that and immediately bought a different caliber (one that could NOT be converted to 22CM), yeah, I see the humor.

Like:
“Talk me into 22CM”
< goes and buys .375 H&H >

Glance back at my original post. The two questions were:
  1. …do you know of any factory-ish rifles out there for 22 Creed? And,
  2. When do you guess 22 Creedmoor will be released as a factory cartridge?
Answers were:
  1. A few custom makers (besides the Horizon one, which is low-run semi-custom)
  2. Not sure
Given that info, I bought a 22-250 that I can immediately use and later convert to 22 Creedmoor and use custom loaded (not by me) ammo or off the shelf (the latter if 22CM becomes a factory caliber).

Not sure what the LOL is, especially if you notice the fact that I mentioned I’m not a reloader. Perhaps you are reading my post like, “Talk me into 22CM,” which I definitely did not write/imply/ask. If I HAD written a question like that and immediately bought a different caliber (one that could NOT be converted to 22CM), yeah, I see the humor.

Like:
“Talk me into 22CM”
< goes and buys .375 H&H >
Any updates ? Is your rifle still a 22/250,have you started reloading yet?