• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Creedmoor SBR

CMP70306

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
So as the title suggests I’m looking into putting together an SBR as a general purpose varmint/ deer rifle that is short for getting in and out of vehicles traveling around our property as well as maneuvering in blinds and thick brush while hunting.

I figure it will probably perform like a 24” .223 but I’m looking to see if anyone has data on the .22 Creed in a 12.5” or so barrel. I plan to run the 62gr ELD-VT for varmints and step up to the 80gr ELD-X or some type of mono when using for deer.

Additionally I plan to run the rifle 100% suppressed so I’m curious if anyone has any suggestions for a suppressor. I have an 18” .22-250 and it is noticeably quieter with the Nomad L compared to the Nomad Ti so I am leaning towards the 7” to 9” range to help mitigate the blast with the shorter barrel. If I had an LT I’d just use that but I don’t and am not a gambler so I’m looking for lighter weight alternatives preferably with a HUB mount.

Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

How far are you trying to hunt? It seems like you're trying to reinvent something thats already in the wheelhouse of the 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC/300 Blk (albeit a little flatter trajectory). Plus those shorter cased cartridges are going to be a lot more efficient in an SBR.

What you want to do can be done, and I hope that you enjoy it if you go that route. There's just a reason why so many people push the "easy" button in an AR-style (where legal) when they're looking to build a rifle in a configuration like you want.

I too am interested to see some chronograph readings of a 12.5", .22 Creed however.

How far are you trying to hunt? It seems like you're trying to reinvent something thats already in the wheelhouse of the 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC/300 Blk (albeit a little flatter trajectory). Plus those shorter cased cartridges are going to be a lot more efficient in an SBR.

What you want to do can be done, and I hope that you enjoy it if you go that route. There's just a reason why so many people push the "easy" button in an AR-style (where legal) when they're looking to build a rifle in a configuration like you want.

I too am interested to see some chronograph readings of a 12.5", .22 Creed however.
Can’t hunt deer with semi autos here so since I’m already in a short action bolt gun I might as well take advantage of the larger cartridge for the additional velocity. Shots are generally less than 300 but do have a spot where shots could be longer out to 600 hence the larger cartridge.

The 22creed is pretty overbore, so by design it's using a slower burn rate powder(especially with the 75+gr bullets. You will not be burning that slow powder efficiently in a sub 16"(honestly sub 20") barrel. I would bet that with h4350-h4831sc that you would be burning maybe 50-60% of charge in that 12.5" barrel and the rest would burn off in can and atmosphere. Pretty much negates the bigger case capacity. You want to stick with something smaller case capacity that uses a faster burn rate powder like h4895/varget/tac or faster. 22 arc, 22br, or 6br would be great choices in a short barrel rifle. I think you'd be surprised by velocities, but I bet in a 12.5" barrel that there wouldn't be 100fps difference between a 22arc and 22creed, with similar bullets. And yes you could use a faster powder in 22creed, and only use half the case capacity, but why do that when you can start with a case that is optimized for that powder and charge weight?

Reactions: Charlie Peters