• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Creedmoor Varmint Rifle questions

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I have read a number of posts on the 22 Creedmoor, but looking for additional answers based on personal experience. I plan on having a barrel chambered up ... likely a Bartlein 13 contour 8 twist (remington varmint contour). Will have a 9" Suppressor hung on the end of it. Based on your experiences...

-What barrel length would you recommend for a walking stalking spotting and shooting varminter?

-Have 6 Creedmoor OCD Brass... safe to neck down in one pass and what bushing?

What has your barrel life been with standard barrels, 750-1100?

Have you found a fur friendly bullet? (
    I plan to use up my stash of 75/80 grain Amaxes if the rifle likes them)

Favorite powder/primers... for temps from sub zero to 50 degrees primarily.

This is going to be a rifle purpose built for hunting primarily coyotes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions. Likely won't be able to blood it until next fall/winter.

I have several 22 creed barrels. My coyote rifle is a 17" Bartlein 2b barrel. 60vmaxes at 3700fps with H5895. My sendero profile bart barrel cut to 25" is great for prairie dogs..same powder charge and 50 vmaxes hit almost 4100fps. Watch you carbon ring as it will cause bullets to pop about 20ft out the barrel.
    Tomorrow my Smith will have my 16.5" proof carbon barrel finished and will be 100% coyote rifle right with my proof carbon barrel if the load stays the same.
    H4350 in the longer barrel does very well with heavier bullets too but I don't feel like much is gained when compared to my normal hunting distances using h4895 and the 60s.

Reactions: jrkotz and DIBBS
    @DIBBS how did this turn out? I'm looking into 22 Creed for yotes, and trying to figure out optimal barrel length considering a 9" can. I was thinking 18" or 20". Going to try 53 v-max, and maybe 73 or 80 eld.

@DIBBS how did this turn out? I'm looking into 22 Creed for yotes, and trying to figure out optimal barrel length considering a 9" can. I was thinking 18" or 20". Going to try 53 v-max, and maybe 73 or 80 eld.

I have a 22” and a 16.5” both with cans. depending how far I’m walking from the truck.

I use Peterson brass and h4350.

I shot a couple last year with 75 ELDm and I wouldn’t call it a fur friendly load 🤣. If that’s what you are after. Similar to a 6creed to me.

I’ll be trying the Fur hammers this season

Still on my bucket list to get a barrel in 22 Creed, in the meantime I ended up getting a 6 Creedmoor barreled action and haven't shot that out yet. In the open country I hunt, the 6's buck the wind better with 105/109's and since my calling this season has been unsuccessful, the few opportunities I have had have been WTF out there. <hangs his head in shame at the results> I do have a 223 AI with a 22" barrel, which seems about right with a suppressor on it. I didn't want to give up too much velocity;

Reactions: SupressYourself
    I have several 22 creed barrels. My coyote rifle is a 17" Bartlein 2b barrel. 60vmaxes at 3700fps with H5895. My sendero profile bart barrel cut to 25" is great for prairie dogs..same powder charge and 50 vmaxes hit almost 4100fps. Watch you carbon ring as it will cause bullets to pop about 20ft out the barrel.
    Tomorrow my Smith will have my 16.5" proof carbon barrel finished and will be 100% coyote rifle right with my proof carbon barrel if the load stays the same.
    H4350 in the longer barrel does very well with heavier bullets too but I don't feel like much is gained when compared to my normal hunting distances using h4895 and the 60s.

What twist are you running in your coyote and prairie dog barrels? I'm looking into building a 22 creed varmint rig and am waffling around twist rate.

I have 7.5, 10, 11 twists. My favorite and easiest to load for was my 10 twist. But if Bartlein had a 9 twist in stock for their carbon barrels, I would have gone with that for the mid weight bullets.

I have 7.5, 10, 11 twists. My favorite and easiest to load for was my 10 twist. But if Bartlein had a 9 twist in stock for their carbon barrels, I would have gone with that for the mid weight bullets.
    What would you consider mid weight bullets for the 9 twist... 50-70gr? Or would 70 be too much? Appreciate the help

What would you consider mid weight bullets for the 9 twist... 50-70gr? Or would 70 be too much? Appreciate the help
    I don't think they are too much, and I'm sure guys do well with the heavier bullets, but the 60 weight class bullets are a good medium for speed and energy in my experience. Plus, I stay with H4895 that way too, I might have to try a slower powder if I increase the weight.

I don't think they are too much, and I'm sure guys do well with the heavier bullets, but the 60 weight class bullets are a good medium for speed and energy in my experience. Plus, I stay with H4895 that way too, I might have to try a slower powder if I increase the weight.
    Great! Thank you for your insight.

Reactions: Travis224