• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 creedmoor

wildturkey2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Lovilia , Iowa
I have a new built 22 CM using lapua brass 80.5 Berger bullets hodgdon 4350 powder . Defiance action Krieger barrel. .255 neck . Well getting to the question has anyone run as high as 43 grains of the H 4350 in their rifles .

I haven't used that combo, so no help here.... but you can spend some time reading in this thread and probably find your answer.

I would also look at some data provided by Peterson Brass... 43 gr of H4350 sounds like it might be on the hot side. They list pressure data for an 80 gr VLD and 40.5 gr H4350 @ 77k psi. Obviously work up and use at your discretion.

I haven't used that combo, so no help here.... but you can spend some time reading in this thread and probably find your answer.

I would also look at some data provided by Peterson Brass... 43 gr of H4350 sounds like it might be on the hot side. They list pressure data for an 80 gr VLD and 40.5 gr H4350 @ 77k psi. Obviously work up and use at your discretion.

Ok thanks good info

Reactions: waspocrew
I was using 43 grains of rl26 as a max load, that’s too much for h4350 which is an appreciably faster powder.

Granted, brass type/volume will be a large influence, I’d expect Peterson to have a lower limit than alpha for example just because Peterson usually seems to have a thicker case head which eats up internal space.
36-38 would be a safer starting point. Work your way up looking for heavy bolt lift to know when to stop.

Reactions: waspocrew
I was using 43 grains of rl26 as a max load, that’s too much for h4350 which is an appreciably faster powder.

Granted, brass type/volume will be a large influence, I’d expect Peterson to have a lower limit than alpha for example just because Peterson usually seems to have a thicker case head which eats up internal space.
36-38 would be a safer starting point. Work your way up looking for heavy bolt lift to know when to stop.
Ok thanks, lots of people are pushing the limits than .

Ok thanks, lots of people are pushing the limits than .
You may well find that you can go higher to like many. I’d hate for you to lock the bolt up on the first overpressure shot and need to hammer it open. Easier to do some crude half grain increments and figure out where your rifle actually stands in the spectrum up front.

Which is what I’m going through with my 6creed right now. Everyone is using 39-42 with a 107 bullet on the internet but 38 grains where I started is already getting me 3060 fps and heavy bolt lift.

You may well find that you can go higher to like many. I’d hate for you to lock the bolt up on the first overpressure shot and need to hammer it open. Easier to do some crude half grain increments and figure out where your rifle actually stands in the spectrum up front.

Which is what I’m going through with my 6creed right now. Everyone is using 39-42 with a 107 bullet on the internet but 38 grains where I started is already getting me 3060 fps and heavy bolt lift.
Ok thanks good information

With 109 rounds down the barrel it now gets 3415. Excellent accuracy jumping 20 thou.