• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Fun Stuff !!!

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Our church had a men's retreat last weekend, and I always get to set up some of the shooting portions.

This year I set up 3 different stages for .22's.

The first station was a set of 5" steel falling plates @ 25 yards and a set of 3" plates at 15 yards shot with my AR 22.

The next was offhand steel targets shot at from 15-70 yards with my 77/22.

This one was pretty fun, we shot it prone, off bipod and rear bag at 25 yards with my Annie...

The station was 11 shots....2 pennies, 2 - 90 degree curved 1/2" dia. tubes, 5 -.3" dots on paper, splitting a playing card, and splitting a bullet with the axe and breaking 2 clay birds with one shot.....

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Everyone had a blast, we had about 30 shooters (mostly newbies) and only 4 got BOTH the card and the axe shot.

Another guy was running a pistol stage and another a skeet shoot.

A fun weekend, and probably hooked some guys on precision shooting.

Re: .22 Fun Stuff !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm...I gotta try that axe trick. </div></div>

It's a lot harder than splitting the card, the actual tip of the bullet nose has to catch the edge of the axe, I'd say .030" either way and it will slide off. You have to move the Axe around and line it up perfectly square with the shooter to make it work.

The card has probably double the area to cut it cleanly. I think 7 or 8 people got the card. I can cut the card 100% at 25 yards shooting this cheap ammo (Fed lead, 1.59 a box stuff), but can only do about 50% on the axe, as I think the group size of this ammo is in the .090 -.100" range at this distance.

Looks like a lot of fun! Takes me back to my muzzle loading days at Rendezvous camp (which I still take part in) when we'd split the ball on the ax, cut the card, (or at least give it our best shot). Lots of fun!
smile.gif

I'm glad your group had a good time. I'm gonna' have to try that ax shot.

I don't have them up in the pic, but a couple of clay birds on each side proves if you hit it or not.

You have to have a backstop or safe area on each side to use these.