22 Grendel loads

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm just starting load development for a 22 Grendel. Using 75gr ELD-Ms and 88gr ELD-Ms. Load data is scarce. I use Quickload quite a bit and you obviously aren't going to find 22 Grendel. I saw someone using 22 PPC with 35gr H2O capacity. I tried that, compared 6.5 Grendel loads using the same powders, and kept my 223 bolt gun loads in mind using the 75gr'rs.

I'm going to try Varget, 8208, and RL17 today. Also plan on trying Ramshot TAC, AA2520, BLC2, and H4895. I will fine-tune QL to true up my charge weight and MV and post my starting loads with the trued QL chamber pressure as a reference or guide for others.

Be interested to see others barrel lengths, COAL, and charge weights.

MTyotehunter

MTyotehunter
Belligerents
Apr 5, 2012
Montana
I would do my best to use 8208, a br3 measurer will throw great charges with it and you wouldn’t need to weigh n trickle. Same with cfe223, cfe would be the top velocity producer, probably not as temp stable but it seems to be decent.

Interested in your results, post back

Reactions: reubenski

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
So I got out and tried Varget, 8208, and RL17. It immediately tried to eat my brass. I got kind of disgusted and put the gun aside for a couple of weeks. A mild load of RL17 was the only load that didn't smear and tear rims. I couldn't shoot the last top charge of Varget. In retrospect I think I had the gas up to high, shooting suppressed. And the Starline brass is thicker than Hornady.

I cleaned the rifle and loaded up CFE223 from 27gr to 29.5 in .5gr increments with 75gr ELDs. Turned the gas way down. It started at 2765 and picked up roughly 50fps with each .5gr increase. I topped out at 3020 with 29.5gr. Bart Baldwin who chambered the barrel said he was doing 2975 with 28.9gr CFE so that jives. I'm going to drill down on 28.5 - 29.6 in .3gr increments without dicking with the gas settings every 3 rds.

Currently I'm running the 75gr ELDMs at mag length. Haven't messed with seating depth yet. I ran the numbers on my AB 5700: 75 gr's at 2950 and 88's at 2800 have the same drop and drift at 800yds.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Looks like 29.4gr CFE under 75gr ELDMS in Hornady brass goes 3000fps. I had to turn necks to get accuracy. 29.2gr @ 2960 gives a little less pressure at a little better accuracy

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
So you haven't tried Lapua brass in this rifle?? I know you know why I ask - Lapua can handle the extra pressure.

And using CFE which is temp sensitive, badda boy you Reub, you'll end up like I did years ago with AA2520 thinking my scope was broke because the fps dropped 125 fps from mid summer to mid winter.

Is this in a bolt rifle or AR??, if AR and you don't have a +2 gas system it's going to be a fight with pressure signs.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
It's a gas gun with a +2. To be honest, I don't think the extra pressure that Lapua can handle amounts to very much in terms of speed. And when you consider how much capacity you lose it becomes a wash, IMO. I may change my mind later, but that's kinda where I'm at now.

Is CFE temp sensitive? I thought I read it wasn't to bad, but it's been a couple of years since I looked at it. I really wanted to use 8208 but my first swing at this cartridge was 8208 in Starline brass under 88's and the max velocity I could get was 2750 without the gun trying to eat the brass. I may give it another shot with the Hornady brass and 75's

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm interested to find out how the other Co's brass holds up. If you don't mind please let us know later on.

There was a whole thread over at AS about CFE, as usual there was much debate about it. Of course most over there don't care about temp sensitivity being either mid range varmint hunters or those not concerned with a first round hit at distance.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
So I shot a Team match with the 22 Grendel yesterday. It did very well. I was up until 0200 loading ammo the night before. I had a hundred pcs of Hornady brass formed and found out the evening prior that I needed at least 150rds as the gas gunner had unlimited rounds on many stages. I helped set up steel for the match and got home at about 2100. No way I was going to run another hundred thru the bushing die four times each changing out bushings every time and then finishing with a mandrel. I haven't mentioned it prior but I also have to neck turn bc the reamer the gunsmith that makes these with is just a little too tight. I confirmed that by trying a few not neckturned and I didn't get accy until I turned the necks.

So while the AMP and Ampmate was annealing 150pcs of brass, I set up a Dillon 550 toolhead with a non-bushing Grendel die in station one. I removed the expander button and left the pin. IIRC, this gets the necks down to.270-280 something. I didn't have a third Grendel die so I used a Whidden non-bushing 6 Dasher die in station 2 to get the necks down to .265 something. Then I installed my bushing die with a .248" bushing in station 3 with headspace set for 4 thou bump. Mandrel in station 4. Once the amp got enough done, I sprayed them with Hornady OneShot and ran 100pcs thru. Like clockwork. I decapped and primed them in the first station during the first neck'ing. I ended up with 110pcs lubed, primed, and neck sized to .249". I then sat down with a Banquet and neck turned them on a power drill using one of those Lee twist-locking shellholders made for a .480 BF. I should also mention that I was too lazy to changed the shellplate over to the Grendel conversion and just used the .308 based shellplate I had setup for my Dasher/ 6 Creed/ 6SLR/ BR/ 308. I had to help a case or two every once in a while when seating a primer but otherwise my corner cutting went unnoticed.

After that I charged and seated 210rds on an auto trickler and seated 75 ELDMs at mag length. I very well could've gotten away with dropping CFE223 without trickling and probably should've.

It was cool in the morning but ended up being very warm for most of the match. We all walked away with sunburns. A couple of times I left loaded mags in sun and they were hot to the touch. Never had pressure issues but did seem to have to trim a .1 or .2 off at distance for hits. While that may seem like an indicator, shooting from barricades and wierd positions with a gas gun can also cause that. My partner was shooting a Dasher/Hybrid at 2950 and we were holding 8.1 and 8.4mrads respectively at the 1070yd target. Same wind drift. My gas block locking/set screws came loose after stage four and I remembered that I lazily failed to loctite them. I tightened then back up and the rifle ran flawlessly all day with just that one exception. We were in the running to win until the second to last stage when my partner had an oopsie that caused us to stop halfway through the stage. It was a very cleanable stage and we had only dropped one round so far out of 24 hits/ 12pts. We left 4.5points on the table on that stage and we ended up at 6th place with the winners just 4 points ahead of us.

So far this 22 Grendel is a winner. 75 ELDMs at 2975fps in a mild load. 29.3gr CFE loaded at 2.255. I should setup a 550 or 650 toolhead and drop powder from here on out. The shame is that aside from an occasional team match requiring a gasser, I never really take the opportunity to shoot gas guns. So I guess this thing will sit until next year.

Warriorscholar

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Any loads with 95gr smk and CFE or Ramshot TAC?
I just came up with a solid 95 smk load using 27.3g of RL16. Runs 2700fps out of my 22" 22 predator barrel. Not real hot load. I just found a node and was making the speed I wanted and stopped. Also I found the 22 Nosler makes a good resource as the case capacity is very similar

Attachments

Last edited:

Huckleberry75

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
So I shot a Team match with the 22 Grendel yesterday. It did very well. I was up until 0200 loading ammo the night before. I had a hundred pcs of Hornady brass formed and found out the evening prior that I needed at least 150rds as the gas gunner had unlimited rounds on many stages. I helped set up steel for the match and got home at about 2100. No way I was going to run another hundred thru the bushing die four times each changing out bushings every time and then finishing with a mandrel. I haven't mentioned it prior but I also have to neck turn bc the reamer the gunsmith that makes these with is just a little too tight. I confirmed that by trying a few not neckturned and I didn't get accy until I turned the necks.

So while the AMP and Ampmate was annealing 150pcs of brass, I set up a Dillon 550 toolhead with a non-bushing Grendel die in station one. I removed the expander button and left the pin. IIRC, this gets the necks down to.270-280 something. I didn't have a third Grendel die so I used a Whidden non-bushing 6 Dasher die in station 2 to get the necks down to .265 something. Then I installed my bushing die with a .248" bushing in station 3 with headspace set for 4 thou bump. Mandrel in station 4. Once the amp got enough done, I sprayed them with Hornady OneShot and ran 100pcs thru. Like clockwork. I decapped and primed them in the first station during the first neck'ing. I ended up with 110pcs lubed, primed, and neck sized to .249". I then sat down with a Banquet and neck turned them on a power drill using one of those Lee twist-locking shellholders made for a .480 BF. I should also mention that I was too lazy to changed the shellplate over to the Grendel conversion and just used the .308 based shellplate I had setup for my Dasher/ 6 Creed/ 6SLR/ BR/ 308. I had to help a case or two every once in a while when seating a primer but otherwise my corner cutting went unnoticed.

After that I charged and seated 210rds on an auto trickler and seated 75 ELDMs at mag length. I very well could've gotten away with dropping CFE223 without trickling and probably should've.

It was cool in the morning but ended up being very warm for most of the match. We all walked away with sunburns. A couple of times I left loaded mags in sun and they were hot to the touch. Never had pressure issues but did seem to have to trim a .1 or .2 off at distance for hits. While that may seem like an indicator, shooting from barricades and wierd positions with a gas gun can also cause that. My partner was shooting a Dasher/Hybrid at 2950 and we were holding 8.1 and 8.4mrads respectively at the 1070yd target. Same wind drift. My gas block locking/set screws came loose after stage four and I remembered that I lazily failed to loctite them. I tightened then back up and the rifle ran flawlessly all day with just that one exception. We were in the running to win until the second to last stage when my partner had an oopsie that caused us to stop halfway through the stage. It was a very cleanable stage and we had only dropped one round so far out of 24 hits/ 12pts. We left 4.5points on the table on that stage and we ended up at 6th place with the winners just 4 points ahead of us.

So far this 22 Grendel is a winner. 75 ELDMs at 2975fps in a mild load. 29.3gr CFE loaded at 2.255. I should setup a 550 or 650 toolhead and drop powder from here on out. The shame is that aside from an occasional team match requiring a gasser, I never really take the opportunity to shoot gas guns. So I guess this thing will sit until next year.
Dont do that, run it all fall and winter for yotes and whitetails etc. That 75eldm is a nasty little killer.

Planning on Bart spinning me up either a 22grendel or 22BR barrel for my AR as well. Planning to run the 69TMK or 75eldm for critters.

Reactions: bakerp30

Huckleberry75

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Reubinski, have you thought about turning your necks while cases are still 6.5 or 6mm? That way you avoid the brass growing the doughnut at the neck/shoulder junction? By turning, then necking down, you move e that turned base of the neck just slightly into the shoulder. By the time it grows into the doughnut area, brass is about worn out. Just a thought. I do something similar with my 6.5saum and Remmy 300saum brass.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I had thought about it but I remember the necks come out all sort of deformed and ugly from the necking down process. I chose to turn after necking because I would hate to turn a bunch of brass and then neck it down and find parts of the neck are all wavy or misshapen because they didn't use to be neck, when I turned.

I also haven't shot that gun since my post. But I have 300+ cases. I don't really care to shoot gas guns. And I definitely don't want to deer hunt with a zippy, high speed, 22 cal, frangible bullet. Ironically, 6.5 Grendel is my favorite whitetail cartridge. I shot 4 last year with 100gr ballistic tips going 2730 out of a bolt gun. It's my favorite hunting rifle.

Reactions: Huckleberry75

Defiance7mm

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Hugo
I'm running a home built .224 Grendel. 24 in Tactical Cannon barrel suppressed. Running Starline brass, BR4, 31.1 gr 6.5 Staball and 88 gr ELDM for 2900 fps. Shoots amazing but runs a bit dirty. Have killed coyotes at 700 yards several times. It's a great little round for sure