• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 hornet loads

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
What is the hottest you can run a 22 hornet? I have this crazy thought that I want to hunt coyote with it. Mind you I live and hunt out west so 300 to 500 yard shots is fairly common. What sort of range can you expect out of that round? What is the heaviest round you can run and get some decent muzzle velocities?

Can you go 55gr and 3000+fps? Anyone have some real world data or experience?

The main reason I ask is that I have inherited the gear to reload for 22 hornet and hate to just leave the dies to rust....am I just wasting my time? I know its a varmint round but I am nowhere near good varmint hunting grounds.

You are not going to get anywhere near 3K, maybe 2500 if you are lucky. What you are specifying is nearly 223 loads, which has double the amount of powder that 22 Hornet does. Do you have access to a loading manual or do you know how to search the world wide web? I'd assume that you could have figured this out doing your own research, but that's not as easy I suppose...

OH gee sir....what is this interwebs thing you speak of. Geee golly what will them scientists folks think of next.

SOOOOOOOO being a narcissistic condescending prick about it is the way to get people to do what you want ay? Ill bet you were the kid picked last on the playground right? Mommy did not pay enough attention to you as a kid?

Look mate, I have done my homework and researched the subject.....Not all my questions were answered by the source of all YOUR knowledge, hay its on the internet...it must be true right. Hence why I come here, where there are very generous and knowledgeable people who are happy to pass on a bit of their years of experience.

The 22 Hornet was developed in the 1930s and was limited back then by the technology of the day. Modern advances in powder, bullet design, and stronger chambers allow hand loads to run a lot hotter than what your Google machine says is max for a factory load, as that data has been re printed and re printed year after year from testing done in the 1930s.

I guess you dunt reed so goodly the part when I dun says "Anyone have some REAL world data or experience?" I am looking for someone that has actually shot the cartridge I am talking about and reloaded it and not just looked it up in a book or googled it. Any idiot can do that.

Last edited:
ROFL, let me say this slowly... You are not going to get 500+ FPS with 'modern' pow pow, specshul chambur, or pretty boolet. Butt fuck it cramm it fool of your favourit pow pow and letter rip